Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Self-Imposed Year of Projects: Update #22

Happy Sunday! It's that time again: my Self-Imposed Year of Projects update. Today, I'm headed into my twenty-second week. It feels weird to think that I've been doing this for almost six months...almost. But, with everything that's been going on, I suppose that's somewhat forgivable.

Anyway, onward to the update!


FINISHED OBJECTS
1. Claudia: started January 3, 2012; finished January 10, 2012
2. Mama's Simple Skyp Socks: started May 22, 2011; finished January 9, 2012
3. Little Man's Cobblestone Baby Blanket: started July 2010; finished February 2, 2012
4. Dalek Dishcloth: started February 6, 2012; finished February 8, 2012
5. Baby Traveling Vines Socks: started September 18, 2010; finished February 17, 2012
6. Snail Hat: started February 18, 2012; finished February 19, 2012
7. Lothlorien Hat: started January 25, 2012; finished March 5, 2012
8. Habitat Hat: started April 10, 2012; finished May 8, 2012


WORKS-IN-PROGRESS
1. Little Man's Giraffe: started May 11, 2011
2. Icarus Shawl: Started March 15, 2010
3. Honey Badger Don't Give a Shit Socks: started January 23, 2012
4. Pine Forest Baby Blanket: started February 21, 2012
5. Hermione's Everyday Socks: started March 6, 2012
6. Sweet Girl's Hippo: started May 10, 2012
7. Mini Sweet Girl's Pumpkin Hat: started May 31, 2012

I'm still plugging away on the blanket. I expect that if I sit and actually spend a good amount of time working on it, I can have it done in a week or so. But, that's the trouble...I'm wooed by other things.


Hermione's Everyday Socks

I've been wooed by these lovely socks. I've finished the double gusset heel so now I'm just knitting away (well, on the back anyway; I'm doing the instep in pattern, of course)...and then I can do the toe and be done with this sock. Then I can make the second one. By the way, do you see how hard I rock picking up the stitches along the heel flap? I rock that so hard!

Also, I was looking for some mindless knitting that didn't involve teeny tiny needles the other night and I decided to start Mini Sweet Girl's Pumpkin Hat. In case you've forgotten, Sweet Girl is Husband's niece (his brother's daughter).......and she's going to get a baby sister in about six weeks. I haven't figured out what I'm going to call her yet so, right now, she's Mini Sweet Girl. And she's getting a Pumpkin Hat. She's also getting the aforementioned blanket. I hit a couple small snags with the hat, though. First of all, the recipe calls for US #7 needles, DK weight yarn, and five stitches to the inch (in stockinette, I assume). I picked up the #7's, CO for the smallest size.....and it would have fit me. I guess that means my gauge was off. So, I went down to the US #6's and CO for the smallest size again. It turned out to be too small. ::sigh:: I wound up compromising by using the #6's and CO for the second smallest size. I think that will work. I'm hoping, anyway. That was the "easy" snag. The second snag involved yarn. I was gifted the orange yarn but I needed some brown and green for the stem and leave, respectively. That involved a trip to the yarn store. I decided to go to Lakeside Fibers in Madison because I had something in mind.....though I wound up not buying what I had in mind. I did find some green and brown, though (.....and some more sock yarn and some other DK weight yarn and.....well, let's just stop there).

PLANNED HATS
1. Hermione Hearts Ron
2. Ogre Babies!
3. NIN Hat
4. Brandon Ribbed Beanie
5. Godric's Hollow Hat
6. Raglan Hat
7. Bergen Street Tuque
8. Nolan
9. Simple Baby Cap #1
10. Candy Cane

OTHER PLANNED PROJECTS
1. Freeport Vest
2. My Little Slug
3. Shaun (as in Shaun the Sheep)
4. Curly Snake
5. Penelope the Empathetic Monster
6. A new version of my Vanilla Socks, perhaps in a worsted weight...(I'm thinking something from Sun Valley Fibers and making it my a Ravelympics 2012 project for Team Sun Valley Fibers)
7. Adipose (I have it somewhere; this is my Ravelympics 2012 project for Team Tardis, by the way)


FOs: 8 projects
WIPs: 7 projects
Planned: 17 projects
TOTAL: 32 projects



Random question: should we just buy a house right away in the San Francisco area, rent a house for the short term (6-12 months), or rent an apartment for the short term (6-24 months)? Keep in mind: we have a toddler, a naughty puppy, and a 3 bedroom house that is full of stuff (which I'm trying to get rid of), enough money for a 15%-25% down payment on a house in the San Francisco area in the bank right now (and not in an IRA or otherwise inaccessible), a condo that I own up for sale (for $164,900 though we may do a price reduction soon), and the house we currently live in is 25% in my name (75% in my trust) and will be going up for sale.

Happy Birthday, daddy; I miss you! - Husband's birthday was yesterday.

6 comments:

  1. Woohoo socks for everyone! And I hope you and little man are feeling better.

    My advice (and take this with a grain of salt since I've never bought a house) is to rent a house so that you have time to find the perfect house to buy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to be renting an apartment, much to my dislike. It's going to be about 1/3 the size of the house so we're going to have to get rid of a lot of stuff...which I'm okay with doing.

      Delete
  2. Your sock is looking amazing, and you have gotten a lot done. I am jealous... I hardly ever finish any thing I start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question. My husband would tell you to rent a house. Your monthly payments would be so much lower. Take your time settling in and finding your way about.
    Love the pic of Little Man; so cute! Socks are always so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all everyone has said. Housing in San Fran is relatively expensive and you probably want some time to identify the neighborhood you'd want to settle in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Socks look almost as nice as the picture of the cute little one!

    ReplyDelete