Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Year SIX: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Update #23

Happy Sunday, happy June, happy happy :)



Finished Objects (FOs):
1. Pussy Hat: started January 10, 2017; finished January 16, 2017
2. Hermione's Everyday Socks (v2): started November 14, 2016; finished January 28, 2017
3. Frene Creek Farm Corriedale (spinning): started October 12, 2016; finished January 16, 2017
4. Pikachu Hat: started February 3, 2017; finished February 10, 2017
5. Trusty (v2): started December 22, 2016; finished February 24, 2017
6. Pussy Hat: started February 13, 2017; finished February 27, 2017
7. Pussy Hat: started March 2, 2017; finished March 8, 2017
8. Pussy Hat: started March 9, 2017; finished March 21, 2017
9. Pussy Hat: started March 21, 2017; finished March 30, 2017
10. FlockSock Yarn #1: started April 5, 2017; finished April 5, 2017
11. FlockSock Yarn #2: started April 5, 2017; finished April 5, 2017
12. #initiateknitdesign challenge from ArohaKnits: started April 3, 2017; finished April 11, 2017
13. Knit Picks Bare Palette Fingering: started April 9, 2017; finished April 9, 2017
14. Malabrigo Rios: started April 9, 2017; finished April 9, 2017
15. Nashua Creative Focus Superwash: started April 9, 2017; finished April 9, 2017
16. Pussy Hat: started April 13, 2017; finished April 30, 2017
17. Pussy Hat: started April 30, 2017; finished May 13, 2017
18. Messed Up Moss: started January 4, 2017; finished May 17, 2017
19. Pussy Hat: started May 19. 2017; finished May 23, 2017
20. Pussy Hat: started May 24, 2017; finished May 26, 2017
21. Baby Pussy Hat: started May 26, 2017; finished May 26, 2017
22. Pussy Hat: started May 26, 2017; finished May 26, 2017

After last week's flurry of finishes, I haven't finished anything new. This isn't all that surprising, although I have a couple of projects that are nearing the finish line :)

Also, I think I need to do an FO Friday post........yeah, I need to do that.



Works-in-Progress (WIPs):
1. Wink: started January 5, 2015
2. Oh, She IS a Bad Nut: started August 11, 2016
3. Fall in San Francisco (prototype 3): started October 4, 2016
4. Smooth Operator Socks: started October 13, 2016
5. Stormageddon's Vest: started October 17, 2016
6. Morvarch Aardvark: started January 1, 2017
7. Stomping Grounds collection: started February 26, 2017 (no project page)
8. Hat Design: started March 20, 2017
9. BMFA Handpainted Roving: started March 23, 2017
10. Vanilla Socks: started March 30, 2017
11. Vanillaish Rainbow Socks: started June 1, 2017

So, because I didn't already have enough WIPs happening, I started a new sock project on Thursday. I'm using the Knit Picks yarn that I dyed (see this post). I already had it wound into a cake and I was curious to see how it would knit up and I had a pair of 2.5mm needles free (which are labeled US #1 but if they're 2.5mm, they're actually US #1.5). So, I started another pair of socks. I'm kind of making this up as I go along so we'll see how things turn out. The worst-case scenario is that I frog it and start over with something else. But, so far, they appear to be somewhat self-stripe. The rainbow part is one stripe and the grey is the other stripe. I'm a bit further than this photo shows.



My Vanilla Socks hit an impasse this week.


I lost at yarn chicken. So, I learned a valuable lesson: longer than usual socks + shorter than usual yarn = I lose at yarn chicken. The Colinette Jitterbug I'm using comes in 318 yds. Luckily, I bought two of the same dyelot when I bought the yarn so I have another skein. I was an inch or so from the beginning of the toe decreases when I ran out. I pulled out the yarn and wound it on Friday.

Those are the only two projects I've worked on, really. I pulled out a few of them to look at (I was looking for something else) but I didn't actually work on anything.



17 UFOs in 2017
1. Wink: started January 5, 2015
2. Oh, She IS a Bad Nut: started August 11, 2016
3. Fall in San Francisco (prototype 3): started October 4, 2016
4. Frene Creek Farm Corriedale (spinning): started October 12, 2016; finished January 16, 2017 **DONE**
5. Smooth Operator Socks: started October 13, 2016
6. Stormageddon's Vest: started October 17, 2016
7. Hermione's Everyday Socks (v2): started November 14, 2016; finished January 28, 2017 **DONE**
8. Trusty (v2): started December 22, 2016 **DONE**
9. Design: Susan's Hat
10. Design: Little Man's Baby Blanket
11. Design: Paradiddle Socks (aka Little Drummer Girl)
12. Design: Pacific Waves Hat
13. Design: Fall in San Francisco Hat
14. Stash Inventory (photos, in Rav database) **DONE**
15. Dystopian Novel
16. Doctor Who blanket (1)
17. Doctor Who blanket (2)


And in my "OMGLSGWTFBBQ" lists...

Secret Sock Club Bags - Pick a bag at random; do pattern with yarn
1. Scotch & Soda Scarf (using Briar Rose Fibers Wistful, leftover from my Icarus Shawl)
2. Jabberwonky (using KP Felici in Abracadabra)
3. If You Know Where To Go (using KP Felici in Green Veggies)
4. Baby Surprise Jacket (using....htNEVELE something something)

These are the only ones that are currently set up. I have plans to make a few more but we'll see how things go. With all the WIPs and such I have going, this may not be a good idea at this point. Or maybe I'll pull things from the lists below and put them into bags. I don't know.


Stranded Knitting
1. University of Wisconsin Ski Hat (kit)
2. University of Wisconsin Christmas Stocking (kit)
3. University of Wisconsin Button Beanie (kit)
4. Xanadu Snowflake Cowl
5. Unknown Christmas Stocking for Little Man (see also: Designs)
6. Unknown Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon (see also: Designs)
7. Unknown Christmas Stocking for Husband (see also: Designs)


Children's Items:
1. Stuffed toy for Miss C (SIL's foster child)
2. Stuffed toy for Mr. K (SIL's foster child)
3. Stuffed toy for Miss E (SIL's adopted daughter)
4. Stuffed toy for TAZ (brother's daughter)
5. Undetermined hat for Little Man
6. Undetermined hat for Stormageddon
7. Mittens for Little Man
8. Mittens for Stormageddon


Items for ME (selfish knitting FTW!):
1. Park Slope (fingering, specifically Mountain Colors Crazy Foot)
2. Worsted weight house socks (worsted, of course - maybe something like Lumberjack)
3. Classic Silk Mayfaire Camisole (Miss Babs Northumbria with modifications)
4. Evangeline (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
5. Lichen (Aran or Sport/DK; solid or semi-solid)
6. Moyen Age (fingering; one of my Vice Yarns? Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20?)
7. Ginny's Cardigan (DK; solid or semi-solid)
8. Drip Drip Drop (sock; solid or semi-solid)
9. Celtic Myths (worsted; solid)
10. Jag in Garter Stitch (DK; 2 colors)
11. Cobh (fingering; 2 colors)
12. Offhand Lace (bulky; solid or semi-solid)
13. Whitman (DK; any color)
14. Flax (worsted; any color - Misti Alpaca Harry Potter-esque one?)
15. Hoar Frost (Wollmeise that's wound in the bag)


Christmas/Charity Bin:
1. 198 Yds of Heaven (worsted; solid)
2. Comfort Food (Aran; solid)
3. Tombreck (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
4. Premie Spiral Hat (DK; any color)
5. Pumpkins & a Pattern (any weight, any color - gauge doesn't matter)


Designs:
1. Susan's Hat *started* - need new prototype & write pattern
2. Little Man's Baby Blanket *started* - write pattern
3. Paradiddle Socks - need prototype & write pattern
4. Pacific Waves Hat *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
5. Fall in San Francisco *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
6. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
7. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater) - need sketch, grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
8. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
9. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
10. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
11. Stomping Grounds collection (everything: charts, prototypes, swatches, etc.) *started*


Spinning:
1. Miss Babs BFL
2. Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk (1)
3. Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk (2)
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt
5. Wash & start processing Alpaca fleece from Lambtown
6. Wash & start processing Merino fleece from Lambtown


Other:
1. Stitch markers
2. Make sure my vintage patterns are in Ravelry (Workbasket magazines, leaflets, etc.)



I feel like this last week went by in a blur, which is probably true. With Monday being a holiday, we lazed about, had our friends over from Fremont for all the good food (brats and hot dogs because we're all from Wisconsin and eating brats is what you do), and I bought new flip-flops. Stormageddon and I went over to Payless because they were having a BOGO on Airwalk flip-flops and mine were starting to show their age. So, I found two that I liked, it was BOGO, and I had a 25% off coupon. I wound up paying something like $8.50 (including tax) for the two pairs (and according to the receipt, my savings was over $22). We also took a trip to Target. So, there's that.



Tuesday meant we were getting back to our normal routine. Little Man had school, I had an auction meeting, Husband had work....nothing unusual. I did catch this photo of Stormageddon before we got Little Man from school:


He had been dumping toys and playing. Nothing too terribly exciting.

Husband was at work late on Wednesday (he didn't get home until almost 11pm). I gave Little Man the option of picking dinner, told him he had all of the Bay Area to choose from......and he picked hot dogs at home. Silly boy. I figured he'd want to go to McDonald's, at least, but he just wanted a hot dog. Whatever, works for me. I may or may not have also wound some yarn onto my niddy-noddy for dyeing and may or may not have tossed it in a bucket with some soap & vinegar. Maybe.

Thursday was our usual day of running about to all the things: doctor appointments, swimming lessons, and I also took Stormageddon to the Lego Store to pick up Husband's birthday present.

He mentioned that he wanted this a few weeks ago but Lego doesn't do pre-orders or anything like that so I had to go to the store and buy it or order it online when it went on sale on Thursday. I opted to go to the store. That was probably a good idea because it was sold out online well before 10am...and the store had a bunch. He got his present a day early. Oh well.

I caught this photo of Little Man at school. He made a little chick hat a few weeks ago and I took a photo of him wearing it. I don't know why he brought it home as (almost) everyone else in his class still had theirs at school. Whatever, it's fine.



Stormageddon still isn't sleeping through the night in his own bed. I put him to bed in his own room, he falls asleep fine, but usually around 11pm-12am, he wakes up, crying, and I could put him back to bed...but he just wakes up again a couple hours later. So, rather than me not getting any sleep, I bring him to our bed and we all get some sleep. I'm not too fussed about it but I hope it ends soon. I don't much like being kicked in the back or headbutted. But, he is cute...


He kind of nuzzles between my pillows and Husband's pillows, pulls the blanket up, and sleeps in a little cocoon. It helps that he's cute. 

Husband's birthday was Friday and he took the day off from work. He was supposed to go salmon fishing but the water was too rough so they didn't go. He did go into work around 2:30pm, however, for the send-off of the employees that were laid off from his division (translation: lots of alcohol). He was home earlier than I expected. I expected another late night but he was home by 7:30pm or so...well, he was back in the area around that time (he met with our friend at the pub for a few beers). Whatever, he wasn't driving. 

While I was walking Little Man to school on Friday, we came across a raccoon (trash panda):


He's hard to see but he's just under where the flap is on the house. He wasn't acting sick and wasn't rabid so, perhaps just stupid? They're nocturnal animals so we rarely see them during the day. But we saw this fat guy skulking around an empty house in our neighborhood (I think it's going to be gutted & sold but I don't know; I've not seen the owner since before the house was emptied several weeks ago). Stormageddon was not with us (he and daddy had a lie in - I had to wake him when I got home at 9am - baby boy never sleeps that late). 

Friday afternoon, we went back over to the school for the Dad's Club BBQ. It went from 3pm-8:30pm but we didn't make it past 5pm. The boys did a lot of running around and playing with friends, we didn't get around to eating food, but by about 5pm, Little Man and I were both peopled out. So, we came back home, had some dinner, and I was expecting a lazy night but Husband was home early.

Saturday was kind of a.....well, I'd say "lazy" day but, it really wasn't. The lawn got mowed, we went to the gym, I may or may not have pulled yarn out of a soap & vinegar soak for dyeing, and a few other random things were done. 

So, you know, happy Sunday :) I should be back on Friday with a much-delayed FO Friday post (pending things post when I schedule them to post) and maybe some other day this week with a yarn review (we'll see how that goes). I hope you're all having a lovely weekend!

3 comments:

  1. The yarn you dyed is such a gorgeous pastel. I clicked the link and enjoyed reading about the dyeing process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, I can't even count the number of times I've lost at yarn chicken! That's not likely to change as i prefer socks with longer legs

    Wow the boys are growing fast. Funny how different they look too - I suppose one favours you and the other, your husband?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate losing at yarn chicken (which is why many of my husband's socks have different coloured toes!!

    ReplyDelete