Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Friday, August 17, 2018

FO Friday: Tour de Fleece Edition

Happy Friday!

I honestly don't have a lot to show for this FO Friday because, let's be honest, Tour de Fleece just kind of caught me off-guard and I didn't actually spin a whole lot.

But, I do have a couple finishes from Tour de Fleece this year :)


I started out TdF with a difficult spin. I didn't think it was going to be that difficult of a spin but, really, it was a hot mess.



My first spin started out as a bag of processed fiber. Seriously. I bought it after I had my wheel less than a year, from a lovely woman that lived localish to me in Wisconsin. I bought all the processed fleeces she had (3 of them). This one came from her sheep, named MaryAnn, who was mostly white (but there are definitely grey bits in there). I originally had just over 8 oz of fiber but I used it for Maker Faire this past spring so I didn't have quite as much. And, of course, I lost a little while spinning for whatever reason.

So, the basics: MaryAnn

Bobbin 1 (~ 102 g): started 9 July 2018; finished 9 July 2018
Bobbin 2 (~ 119 g): started 9 July 2018; finished 10 July 2018

Plied (2-ply): started 12 July 2018; finished 12 July 2018
        1st skein: ~ 226 yds (2 breaks), ~ 133 g
        2nd skein: ~ 94 yds (no breaks), ~ 56 g

Andean Ply: This wound up being a horrific mess. The singles were so overspun that when I tried to place it on Handy Andy, it just got tangled beyond belief. I wound up hand-winding the yarn into a ball and intend to turn it into a dryer ball (~ 30 g).

So, I wound up with about 320 yds of 2-ply yarn, 183 g. Based on 100 g/skein, I have an Aran/bulky weight yarn.

A few random notes about this yarn. I accidentally spun it backwards of how I normally spin. Normally, for singles, my wheel turns to the right in a clockwise motion. I spun it counter-clockwise for some strange reason....and didn't realize the mistake until I was getting ready to ply. That may be part of the reason it's so overspun but I doubt it. The yarn itself is very rustic and very itchy. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I might be able to get some sort of stuffed toy out of it but I don't know any child that would want it near their face...maybe catnip toys for cats? I don't know.



My second spin was much nicer :)



I picked up this fiber from Fengari Yarns in Half Moon Bay with the intention of attempting to dye it. I want to say I picked it up about a year ago, maybe just a little longer than that. Regardless, during my last dyeing adventures, I pulled it out and gave it a whirl. It turned out this pinky purpleish color with some white bits here and there. I'm not totally in love with the color but it's not a bad color. Just not necessarily something I would have chosen if I saw it in a shop (not my colors).

The Basics: Malabrigo Nube, dyed by me, started out with 113 g

Bobbin 1: started 12 July 2018; finished 15 July 2018
Bobbin 2: started 15 July 2018; finished 17 July 2018

Plied (2-ply): started 20 July 2018; finished 20 July 2018
        1st skein: ~ 248 yds; haven't measured the weight yet

Plied (Andean Ply): started 20 July 2018; finished 20 July 2018
        Mini skein: ~ 18 yds; haven't measured the weight yet

I didn't lose a ton of fiber when I was spinning this, so I expect that it'll be just over the 100 g mark. If that's the case, I probably have a light worsted weight yarn. Not quite thin enough to be a DK weight but not heavy enough for a true worsted. Oh, the nuances of yarns. Honestly, it probably oscillates between DK and heavy worsted. You can definitely tell this yarn is a handspun yarn but it's not itchy and rustic. I might be able to use this for something...not sure what yet but I'll think of something. Then again, I have a bunch of handspun to use.......might want to get on that.



That's all I have for you! I didn't get a lot of spinning done during TdF this year. It snuck up on me and I had other things happening. Maybe next year.....

I'll be back on Sunday with my Year of Projects update :)


No comments:

Post a Comment