Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Purloined: Knitting Q & A

Happy Tuesday! This week, I purloined from Karen. She posted her Knitting Q & A on Saturday. I didn't actually get to read it until yesterday but that's another story.

Anyway, I decided to do the Knitting Q & A (and feel free to do it yourself, leave your blog post or your answers in the comments!).


  • You’re given a magic yarn bag that will supply one skein at a time as needed. You reach inside and pull out a skein. What is this yarn? Be specific or not.
  • When you enter a yarn store how do you work the space? Does it vary if it’s your regular store or a new to you store?
  • Have you ever knit or crocheted something that you swore you never would? What was it? Why did you never want to make it and why did you?
  • What is your next project going to be? Do you have a planned queue or do you make whatever strikes your fancy at the moment?


So, I've been given a magic yarn bag that will supply one skein at a time, as needed. I reach inside and pull out.........I honestly don't know. I'm one of those people that tends to have more than one project going at a time so a bag that just gives me one skein, presumably for one project, at a time....I just don't think that's going to work out too well for me. But, it's probably sock yarn. Maybe a DK weight. Probably merino.....but that Cormo sport weight I picked up from Sincere Sheep at Vogue Knitting Live is a dream (having knit using the worsted weight version)......hmmmm......

When I enter a yarn store, how do I work the space? Does it vary if it's my regular store or a new-to-me store? I suppose it depends on how the space is set up. My shop back home in Wisconsin had a buy & sell area in the basement (which I frequented far more often than I should have....but I got a lot of great yarn down there), but the upstairs was sectioned out by yarn weights (mostly) and I frequented the sock yarns and the worsted weight yarns first. My shop here in California (that has been closed for at least a year and a half now) had yarn along the perimeter with the desk/checkout area and knitting area in the middle and I would usually just start at one end and work my way around the room. I tend to dig in new shops. The first time I was at the now-nearest LYS (since mine closed), I sat on the floor, digging through shelves because I was trying desperately to find a match to a skein of KPPPM...and their computer said it was there but, alas, it was not. I'm pretty sure they thought I was crazy, which isn't exactly a lie, but it was fine. 

Have I ever knit or crocheted something that I swore I never would? What was it? Why did you never want to make it and why did you? This is a very loaded question. I always said I'd never make a cowl. And then I discovered the long, loopy scarves. Some people call them infinity scarves or infinity cowls but to me, that implies that there's a twist in there somewhere. I don't need the twist, just the long loop. That works really well for me. I don't like things around my neck in a tight manner, and a lot of cowls are like that. If I can control the tightness by having it long and loopy, I'm okay with them. I still don't have a lot of them, though. I did try to make a regular cowl and it's too tight for me to wear. It also itches me. I might have to sell that one. I also said I wasn't a shawl person and, most of the time, I'm not....but I still have a few that I've made and I do wear them. So, there's that. 

What is my next project going to be? Do I have a planned queue or do I make whatever strikes my fancy at the moment? I have a few projects that I want to make, that I have the yarn for, and are "ready," so to speak (see my Year of Projects posts). I use my Ravelry Queue and my Ravelry Stash Page to my advantage because, honestly, I can't always remember what I have in stash and what I want to make. It also allows me to add notes and kind of combine everything. So, for example, I know that I have the Forest Cardigan by Holly Priestly in my queue. I also know that I have some Baah Shasta in a bright London Blue and some Neighborhood Fiber Co. in a Charles Centre grey that will work well for it. I've noted it in both the stash pages and I think I put a note somewhere about the cardigan. Maybe. I have enough yarn to knit the largest size, which is probably what I'll want when I get there. Of course, that implies that I'm going to get there, which is a whole other matter. So, I have a planned queue (again, see my Year of Projects posts) but, really, things just strike me whenever and I decide to act. It's how I ended up with a Clapotis in my WIPs. I like having a personal, smaller queue because it allows me to focus a little better but I also like the ambiguity of knitting whatever the hell I want. 





Hope you're having a lovely Tuesday! I might be back later this week but that implies that not only do I get my ends woven in on my FrankenSocks or the little cup cozy I made at Vogue Knitting Live, it also means things get washed and photographed and so on. 

And then she laughed and laughed....

1 comment:

  1. I assume you were talking about that LYS that was in San Mateo? I've been there once and bought lots of sock yarn that are still in my stash. They were really nice there.

    ReplyDelete