Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Purloined: Knitting Q&A

This week, I'm purloining from Karen of Nothing But Knit (again).

With another Rhinebeck in the books, I thought I could get away with this Q&A since it's about fiber festivals :)

  • Have you attended a fiber festival? What did you think? Were you overwhelmed or in your element? If you’ve never been do you want to attend a fiber festival?
I have attended two different fiber festivals, but both have been attended multiple times. I've been to the Wisconsin Sheep & Wool Festival, which is usually held in September in Jefferson, Wisconsin. I've also been to Lambtown, which is usually held in October in Dixon, California. The first one I went to was Wisconsin Sheep & Wool because we were still living in Wisconsin. I was pregnant with Little Man, so this was eight years ago, and I was not a spinner. While I found plenty of yarn, it was more focused on spinning and weaving....and I may or may not have come home with my first drop spindle that weekend. And my wheel came just five months later. I wasn't overwhelmed at all and I learned so much just by wandering the marketplace. I also took a class on sock knitting at that first event. Lambtown isn't all that different but I think because I'm further along with spinning, I'm more attuned to what I'm getting into. I've bought fleeces at Lambtown whereas I never did that in Wisconsin. Of course, since we moved to California, getting things home from Wisconsin Sheep & Wool requires shipping or packing a suitcase.....which I can do but I don't know how well the TSA would like finding a full fleece in my suitcase. Of course, they've probably seen stranger things.

  • What is your favorite part of a festival? Do you enjoy the items available for purchase, the animals or are you all about hanging with other crafters?
I think when I first started going to fiber festivals, my favorite thing was the marketplace. Now, don't get me wrong: I still love the marketplace. I think my favorite thing now is just spending time talking to the people, petting the fleeces, and just being present in the moment. Oh, and I like going to pet sheep. 

  • If you’ve attended more than one festival (you lucky crafter) which is your favorite and why? If you haven’t attended one, which one would you most like to attend?
I've only really attended the two mentioned above. I'd like to get to Rhinebeck someday or maybe Maryland Sheep & Wool...as long as they exist, and I'm able to get there, I'll go :)

  • I’ve been seeing lots of ads for crafty travel. Basically it’s a trip centered around a craft like knitting. You travel to a place and become a craft-centered tourist. There are also cruises where instructors teach classes on the ship. Have you seen these ads? Do you think you’d like to travel in a craft centered way? Would you like to visit wool mills in Ireland, Scotland or New Zealand? Would you want to take a cruise with your favorite designer?
I already like cruising so I'd be totally okay with a knitting cruise....but I have to be able to afford it first. I also would love to go to someplace like Ireland or Iceland on a fibery tour. Or anywhere, really. I like my fibery things. 




So....what's next for me? Good question. Right now, I'm just doing my thing when I can do my thing and calling it good :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment