Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Monday, January 13, 2020

Year NINE: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - How'd THAT Happen?! (Update #2)

Hello and happy Monday! Here we are in our second week of the new year and I'm already posting late! WHAT GIVES?! Well, we'll talk about that in a hot minute...in the meantime, let's discuss all the things.



FOs (Finished Objects):

Nope. Nothing to see here. Not yet, anyway. 



WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year if needed):
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018
8. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
9. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018
10. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
11. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018
12. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): started 16 January 2019
13. Prototype Something Something Raindrops: started 11 April 2019
14. Tiny Turtle: started 7 November 2019
15. Sockhead: started 8 January 2020

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I started another project. In my defense, this one is fairly mindless as long as I don't go dropping stitches or forgetting how to count to two and read my knitting, all of which seem unlikely but it has happened (and all on a project of the same pattern). I started another Sockhead. I've made two already and they're good, mindless knitting. Also, they make good gifts. So, another Sockhead is on the needles. I know I have a couple of fairly mindless projects going but at some point, I'm going to have to knit toes on socks and that's not exactly totally mindless. A Sockhead will last me awhile.....buuuuut, I may have to make five of them, if my idea comes to fruition. 

Aside from working on that project, I spent some time working on a granny square. I have no idea how many I've actually made. I found a bag in my yarn closet last week that has a bunch and I know the bag with the working square has a bunch. I'm guessing I have maybe fifteen or sixteen. Not enough for a blanket yet. 

I also worked on the Ewetopia Stripey Socks. I'm just working down the foot of the second one, which is delightful. I figure I'm halfway through the foot before I change to the contrast yarn for the toe. I think. I think the same could be said of my first Abracadabra Sock. I'm just working down the foot....but, like I said, that's still the first sock. There wasn't a whole lot of time for knitting between Thursday and yesterday but prior to that, I worked on the new hat, the granny square, and the socks. 




OMFGLSGWTFBBQ Lists



Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns 
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Rastarmulke: started 20 November 2017 - write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
10. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)


Children's Items:
1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018)
2. Minecraft Socks for Little Man (fingering weight - Tosh Sock in Plaid Blanket?)
3. Baby Yoda for Babies (Loops & Threads)
4. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
5. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
6. I Love Stockinette Baby Bibs (worsted - cotton, acrylic, something)


Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1. Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted)
2. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
3. Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
4. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - Fresh From the Cauldron Schoodic Sock in Sookie)
5. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Socks (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
8. Washcloths (worsted weight - cotton)
9. Sockhead (fingering - I have tons...pick something!)
10. Age of Brass & Steam (Handspun purple/white barber pole)


Designs:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband
2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man
3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon
4. Baby Blanket


Spinning:
1. Wonderland Dyeworks BFL
2. Mixed BFL
3. Allons-Y Fiber Arts Merino, Trilobal Nylon, Silk
4. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)
5. Fiberlady.com 100% Bamboo 


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
2. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Stitch markers
5. Destash as necessary
6. Stash Fit



So, what's been going on in California, you ask? Why can't I manage to get myself together properly like a normal adult? Maybe because this past Tuesday, I had my 40th birthday, which means that, in addition to being an adult of the IDGAF status (or something), Husband decided to have surprises galore. 

Things started out normally last week. The boys were still on winter break Monday and Tuesday (my birthday). Husband asked me to try to get my work hours in before Friday so we could go do something that morning for my birthday (since it was in the middle of the week and such). Okay fine. Whatever. 





I did work, the boys went back to school on Wednesday, so on, so forth, keep 'er movin', right? Thursday after school, Husband and Little Man went to clean in Little Man's room, which was only unusual in that I'm usually the one that deep cleans his room with him and if we do it, it's on a Saturday or Sunday. And they kept closing doors. Weird. Then they decided to clean Stormageddon's room, too. Then our vacuum died. Husband said, "oh, I'll go to Target and get a new one - if I'm going to vacuum, I'd rather do it now while the rooms are clean." Okay fine. He goes to Target. "Oh, and while I'm gone, can you clean off the counter and table, and finish varnishing Puppy's house?" 

Sure. 

That all happens. The rooms get vacuumed, I'm still cleaning and pondering dinner and such. Husband looks at his phone and says, "I'll be back" and goes outside. Okay fine. Keep cleaning. About 15-20 minutes later, I start wondering where he's gotten to so I look outside and his car is gone. 

Wait, what?

Then he comes home with two of our friends from Wisconsin (one of his really good friends from college with his girlfriend). 

HUH?!

Oh......um....okay then. We set up an air mattress in Stormageddon's room and the camp beds in Little Man's room. Life is going on just fine. Husband and Little Man go to get dinner around 8:15pm. An hour later, they still hadn't returned. Stormageddon needed to go to bed. So, I got him to bed. Then the front door opens and in walks Husband with one of my best friends from college and her husband. 

WHAT IS HAPPENING?! 

So, another air mattress gets set up, camp beds moved into our room, life goes on, right? I asked Husband when our pilot friends were arriving because by this point, I've caught on. Tomorrow (Friday). Ooooooooookay. 

Friday afternoon, my friend and I ran some errands, picked up Stormageddon and then Little Man....when we got home, Husband's car had moved. It hadn't had a reason to move. Of course I'm suspicious. We come in, and another friend of mine is sitting on the couch in the living room. 

So, by the time everything is said and done, we had an extra seven people in our house. 

It was already a long weekend and it hadn't even started yet!

Saturday, we kind of went our own ways with plans to meet for dinner reservations at 7pm (meaning be back at our house by 6pm). A few of us went down to Los Altos to the yarn store and then out for lunch, some went into the City, and Husband took the boys to our friends in Fremont for the evening (for a child-free dinner). We met up at the house at 6pm, our Uber arrived early so we were rushing out the door. 

They almost pulled off the perfect surprise party. 

But, that Uber was early so when we were walking up to the venue, I saw one of my mom friends, who was still early, but not early enough, it seems....and suspicions arose, of course. Walked in to my surprise party early. 

Oops. Totally not my fault. 











Yeah. The moms bought me a Chewbacca Snuggie. I wish I were kidding. It's going to be awesome, though. I can wear it while I work when I'm freezing in the bedroom!

Also, that's almost everyone that showed up (there were a couple that came after the photo had been taken). There were also several that were unable to make it. 

After we all got back to our house, we had a little visitor.....





It's either a young female or a juvenile. Regardless, it's been in our yard quite a bit. Husband and I suspect it either lives just behind the fence on the PG&E property or it's under our deck. I'm betting under the deck given Puppy's reaction lately. Regardless, it's a cute little thing...just not something I want in my yard. Or spraying. 

Sooooo, yesterday was kind of a fluff of activities. A few of us went into the City, a few were at our house watching the football games (::insert eyeroll::), Husband picked up the boys, and then we had fancyish dinner at our house. 

My house emptied out today. Two left around 6:45am, another left at 8:30am, we had lunch with the last two (the pilots both had to work over the weekend so they were not here for everything)....the house is so quiet, except for the boys. 

But, that explains why I can't get myself together, right? Maybe next weekend.....

3 comments:

  1. Wow - clean rooms and surprise guests? Sounds like a perfect birthday. Happy 40th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun your party sounds. Happy belated bday! You are the third person I know who has a Chewbacca snuggle. Me? I just throw blankets around me LOL. Old fashioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great and thoughtful husband you have making all those arrangements and a surprise party. You’re obviously well loved by friends and family. A belated happy birthday to you. Xx

    ReplyDelete