Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Year NINE: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Rain, rain, go away, we have things to do today...oh wait! (Update #14)

Happy rainy Sunday from the San Francisco Bay Area. Yes, it really is raining. It's kind of late in the season for rain, actually, but given that we didn't get our "usual" amount during the actual rainy season, it's okay that it's raining now. I guess. It's not like we have anywhere to be right now! So, it's the perfect time for an update, right?


FOs (Finished Objects):
1. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018; finished 29 January 2020
2. Tiny Turtle: started 7 November 2019; finished 30 January 2020
3. Mirkwood: started 9 February 2020; finished 17 February 2020

With all this "extra" time, you would think I would have finished something....but really, I don't have "extra" time so nothing new has been finished. Oh well.



WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year if needed):
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018
8. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
9. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018
10. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
11. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): started 16 January 2019
12. Prototype Something Something Raindrops: started 11 April 2019
13. Sockhead: started 8 January 2020
14. Baby Yoda: started 14 March 2020

I didn't do a lot of knitting this week. I think I put a few rows onto Herbivore and maybe a few rounds onto the Abracadabra Socks but that was about it. Oh, and I Kitchenered the hood closed on the Baby Yoda sweater. Nothing terribly exciting this week.





OMFGLSGWTFBBQ Lists


Design WIPs:

1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns 
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Rastarmulke: started 20 November 2017 - write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
10. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)


Children's Items:

1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018)
2. Minecraft Socks for Little Man (fingering weight - Tosh Sock in Plaid Blanket?)
3. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
4. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
5. I Love Stockinette Baby Bibs (worsted - cotton, acrylic, something)



Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):

1. Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
2. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
3. Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
4. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - Fresh From the Cauldron Schoodic Sock in Sookie)
5. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Socks (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
8. Washcloths/chewcloths (worsted weight - cotton)
9. Sockhead (fingering - I have tons...pick something!)
10. Age of Brass & Steam (Handspun purple/white barber pole)


Designs:

1. Christmas Stocking for Husband
2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man
3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon
4. Baby Blanket


Spinning:

1. Wonderland Dyeworks BFL
2. Mixed BFL
3. Allons-Y Fiber Arts Merino, Trilobal Nylon, Silk
4. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)
5. Fiberlady.com 100% Bamboo 


Dyeing:

1. Sock Blanks
2. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:

1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Stitch markers
5. Destash as necessary
6. Stash Fit



Because we're still under the Shelter in Place order, we haven't done much. I ventured out to the grocery store at least once, Husband also went out at least once. I tried to do all my stuff in one day (Target, Home Depot, and Costco) but the line at Costco was ridiculous so I skipped that. We weren't desperate for anything so I didn't feel too badly. I really just needed to get weed whacker attachments at Home Depot and toothpaste for Little Man...anything else I picked up was gravy. Or something. 

Aside from that, Stormageddon did his first sewing project this week. It came as a suggestion for a daily activity from his teacher so I pulled out materials and helped him with the poking of the holes and the outline he wanted to sew. I also helped him with detangling his yarn. 





It's kind of difficult to see but he sewed the outline of a house, complete with the roofs and windows and a door. He was super proud of himself. 


In between all the classroom meetings with teachers and such this week, I had Puppy sitting on me here and there. He clearly didn't want me to work at this time. Oh well.





We've had rain on and off this past week. It's currently raining Again. The rainy season around here is usually from November to maybe February. And while we did get some rain during the rainy season, it was thought that we were headed for another drought....and then it started raining again more recently. So, maybe we aren't headed for a drought? Regardless, we're going to see if the roof fix is truly fixed. 

We also had our solar panels replaced this week. They've not been working correctly for over a year now. Tesla knew about it but didn't notify us until November, then they had to send a tech out to assess whether it was the panels or the box. It was determined that it was the panels (as many others of the same type/year were having the same issue)....so, new panels were ordered. They were replaced this week. And then we discovered that the box is also not working. ::sigh:: The upside is that we get new panels and a new box at no additional cost to us...the downside is that we have to wait AGAIN for things to come in and then get replaced. ::sigh:: I think Tesla also has to reimburse us for the months that they weren't working correctly, which will come in handy later. We're talking at least $1600 at this point. That's real money. 

With everyone on a Shelter in Place order here in California, some of the wildlife is coming out to play. 





Don't misunderstand me. We have ducks in the neighborhood on occasion (we live near a golf course) but these two were just out wandering about, and didn't flinch too much when I came out to take their picture. It looks to be a male and female mallard. I'm not 100% positive but I'm like 98% positive. We've also had more birds pecking at our lawn, probably looking for worms since it's been raining. Either that or they're going after the grass seed again. 

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a photo of our science experiment of growing celery from a stump. Last week, I also started a romaine lettuce one. This is what they looked like this morning. I'm definitely impressed, only because I can't get them to grow from seed.





I've read about people that do this and just keep regrowing from the same stump, which kind of amazes me. We'll see how that goes. 

The next two weeks are supposed to be spring break around here but because there's not much else happening, I'm going to keep the boys on schedule, for the most part. It's just going to be that much more difficult to get them back on one if we go off it, especially as they're not heading back until at least May 4th but, really, probably August. Anything to make our lives more "normal" is helpful. I may look into a couple of online Outschool classes, also. 

I hope you've been having a lovely week, even if you're under Shelter in Place orders. Hopefully I'll be back next week :) 

6 comments:

  1. Love your romaine lettuce and celery. I'm trying this with green onions. So far, so good - It's definitely growing. The thing is, I normally eat the little white bulb, but that's the part that has to stay submerged in water... Doing this, the only part I cut and eat is the green ends. It's just not the normal way I eat or use green onions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puppy looks happy that you're home! I feel for you having to keep young ones entertained and happy. Mine are older and more self sufficient (but still a lot of extra work having them home from/for school). I followed your link for the Baby Yoda sweater -- super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I zoomed in and could see the house picture, he did a great job. I think your idea about keeping a routine going is really sensible, there’s something reassuring about routine when things in the world are so crazy at the moment. I’m wondering if you have to change the water everyday on your experiment and do you add plant food to the water. It seems like magic. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to try that celery one. It looks so pretty. I am glad to hear your shelter in place is going well. And congrats on your son sewing the house outline. Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the sewing of the house. He is growing up so quickly. Our schools are out until the end of the school year and summer school will be online also this year. We were worried they would cancel summer school which would have messed with the high schoolers fall schedules. I am impressed with your celery and lettuce. I may have to try that with the romaine. That is one thing we eat a lot of. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat how the wildlife are out and about; I read that article about the National Parks. So cool how your celery and Romaine are growing.

    ReplyDelete