Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Monday, August 31, 2020

Year NINE: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - A dollar for everyone because I'm late. Again. (Update #35)

So, I'm well aware that it's not Sunday. Let's just not talk about that right now. 



FOs (Finished Objects):
1. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018; finished 29 January 2020
2. Tiny Turtle: started 7 November 2019; finished 30 January 2020
3. Mirkwood: started 9 February 2020; finished 17 February 2020
4. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018; frogged 9 April 2020
5. Sockhead: started 8 January 2020; finished 25 May 2020
6. Baby Yoda: started 14 March 2020; finished 13 June 2020
7. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018; finished 18 June 2020
8. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): started 16 January 2019; finished 30 June 2020
9. Oread Hat (test knit): started 2 July 2020; finished 11 July 2020
10. Prototype Something Something Raindrops: started 11 April 2019; finished 18 July 2020
11. Rose City Rollers: started 18 June 2020; finished 4 August 2020

Nope. Move along.



WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year if needed):
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
10. Greenwood Fiberworks Dark BFL (Viktor): started 28 June 2020
11. Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
12. Minecraft Socks: started 12 August 2020

No, I didn't start anything new. That's probably my one saving grace. 

I also didn't get a lot of knitting done this week. I did, however, photograph things!




This is the Linen Stitch Scarf. It's nothing fancy. I'm just working along on it. It's not much further along than this. Right after I took this photo, I knit a few more rows and figured out I was working on the wrong sides. ::sigh:: So, I had to tink back and fix it. I don't rip back knitting unless there's a lifeline in. So, that happened. 




The Vanilla Socks using the single spun Zauberball. It's dark and you can't see it very well but there it is, regardless. I have to work on these in natural light. I've tried bright lights and it actually makes things worse. So, natural light it is! 

Aside from that, the only other thing I touched this past week was the Minecraft Socks for Little Man, which I did not photograph as I was still on the cuff at the time. I've now got three pattern repeats done on the leg. I'm debating how long I want to make them. I think I'll make them a bit shorter (60 rounds instead of 72 rounds of pattern), which should serve Little Man well. And of course, once he outgrows them, they become mine. 

Oh, and in future WIP news, I ordered needles from Webs so I could start some other versions of my cowl. I needed some 24" circulars that I could have sworn I had...but if I do, I can't find them. So, I ordered more. They arrived yesterday. 



OMFGLSGWTFBBQ Lists


Design WIPs:

1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)


Children's Items:

1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018) - I may change this to a different sweater using the same yarn
2. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
3. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
4. I Love Stockinette Baby Bibs (worsted - cotton, acrylic, something)


Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1. Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
2. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
3. Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
4. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - Fresh From the Cauldron Schoodic Sock in Sookie)
5. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Socks (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
8. Washcloths/chewcloths (worsted weight - cotton)
9. Sockhead (fingering - I have tons...pick something!)


Designs:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband
2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man
3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon
4. Baby Blanket


Spinning:
4. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
2. Skeins of sock yarn
3. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Stitch markers
5. Destash as necessary


So. Life in California. Uh.....yeah. We're still dealing with smokey air from the nearby wildfires. It comes and goes. The air quality is crap, regardless, but the smell comes and goes. The other morning, like 2:30am, we had to close the windows because the wind had shifted and we could suddenly smell the smoke again. 

Of course, in addition to that, we're still under lockdown, quarantine, whatever you want to call it. It's not been fun for the boys but at least they have school so they can see their friends via Google Meets. 

Speaking of school.....I'd love to say things are going well, and they're not as terrible as they could be, but it's hard. Little Man is feeling neglected because I have to sit with Stormageddon so he'll do his work, plus I'm also trying to work. I think what's going to wind up happening, as much as I do not want it to, is I'm going to have to start getting up early, working early, doing the school thing, working some more, and trying to spend more time with Little Man. I really do not want to get up early but if that's what I need to do, then so be it. ::sigh:: 

One of Stormageddon's activities for this week was to draw a picture for someone you care about. He loves me so he drew a picture of me, for me. Doesn't it look just like me?!




To be fair, this was actually a big accomplishment for him. He's been going to the occupational therapist at school for the last year or so now. When he started last year, he had no idea where to even start when it came to drawing a person. Like, he'd draw an arm, then a foot, then maybe the head, then the hand on the other arm. No cohesiveness at all. Now, he has the tools to think about it and draw it out. He drew the head, neck, body, two legs, two arms, and then he made sure I had five fingers on each hand before adding my face. So while it's probably a typical drawing for a child his age, for him, it's a big deal. 

Little Man has also been creative this week. He made a stand for his Master Sword out of a couple of boxes, some duct tape, and my Sharpie. He's back on a Zelda kick again. 




In addition to all of that, Husband and I celebrated our 11th Anniversary on Saturday. We put together this Ikea shelf and restocked it. We did some Ikeahacking because they didn't have everything in stock that we needed for what we wanted but this works and it actually looks pretty good. 




Oh, and we made some mess in the front yard because that's how we roll. We did bush removal yesterday. It was messy work because we used the power washer to wear down the dirt so we could dig the stumps out. Unfortunately, we had a gopher problem a year or two ago and they made their home under the bushes we moved, which means there were some very large dirt piles there. ::sigh:: 




Husband also bought a pole saw (a mini chainsaw on a long pole). We worked on trimming up our magnolia tree (he did the cutting, I did the hauling). He had to get up on the roof to do part of it but it was easier to do up there. After doing the magnolia tree yesterday, he decided he was going to lop the top off one camphor tree every day (they grow back so doing this every couple of years isn't a big deal). Okay, one tree a day I can handle. 

No. 

He did all six of them today and then the five of us (our roommate, the boys, Husband, and I) hauled the branches out. We'll rent a wood chipper in a week or two. He said it really wasn't difficult to do, which is probably true, other than making sure things didn't crash into wires (which didn't happen) or the neighbor's yard (which did happen). 

Of course, I tweaked my back when we were moving some of the branches. ::sigh:: 

Little Man saw this little guy out his window and snagged my phone to take a photo. I think it's the same little guy I saw yesterday (he's hiding under the blade of grass on the bricks at the top left). 



Lastly, I spoiled myself this week. I purchased a Tom Bhin bag. It's less green, more blue, than this photo shows. It's more of a dark teal. I've been eyeing this bag for years and I finally decided to buy it. 




And now it's late on Monday so I'm going to call it. Maybe I'll be on time next week but don't hold your breath :) I hope you had a good weekend and week!

5 comments:

  1. I know every region has it's "thing" (here would be tornadoes, I guess) and I guess we all learn to live with what is normal for our area, but I can't imagine having to think about wildfires - all the many questions one surely cycles through when they are anywhere near. Also, I feel for you all who have to figure in school alongside working - especially when it's not your normal. The many and various ways people are affected by this C-virus is mind-boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We bought a pole saw last fall and I hear you about all the branches that come down and then need to be hauled out. We are in the process as I write this. I love the little lizard pic. I can't imagine how it is for you and your family with home school but I am impressed with how you seem to make it all come together. You are a star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one busy mom!! Best wishes for school. I know this remote school is hardest on the youngest. I am so lucky to be old (post working) with only a college student doing remote learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nice crossbody you bought there. I like the moody Zauberball yarn too. I know Zauberball would make a great substitute for the yarn used in Mowry's The Shift.

    ReplyDelete