Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, August 7, 2022

ELEVENTH Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Visitors do not make for progress... (Update #32)

Happy Sunday! As per usual, I'm running a bit behind today. I mean, it's evening here....so I should probably get moving.


FOs (Finished Objects)
1.
Baby Blanket: started 22 April 2022; finished 4 June 2022
2.
Herbivore: started 15 November 2018; finished June 2022

Yeah. Visitors do not make for good knitting progress. Oh well.

 

WIPs (Works-in-Progress) *These are carried over year after year, as needed*
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
9. Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
10. Sand Drift Blanket: started 17 January 2021
11. Vanilla Socks: started 12 December 2021
12. Dishcloth: started 25 February 2022
13. Mixed BFL (Annie): started 18 March 2022
14. Lakeline Tank: started 18 March 2022
15. Baby Blanket: started 4 June 2022

I worked a little bit on the Vanilla Socks (#11) this week and that was about it. We've had visitors, which does nothing for my knitting time. So....*shrug*

I did, however, go to the yarn store the other day. I dropped our older visitor off at the mall to hang with a pocket friend and I made my way across Madison to Fiddlesticks Knits. I contemplated going to Knitcircus but it turns out they have closed their brick & mortar shop in favor of expanding the dye studio, which is fine. I just don't know how I missed that. Regardless, I knew what I was looking for. Sort of. Our older visitor is a bisexual gaybe and has a penchant for handknit socks, which her mother does not make (her mother is a casual knitter and does not knit in the round). I had her try on a pair in progress (the aforementioned Vanilla Socks - I've finished the first sock and I'm about halfway through the second)...they fit her perfectly. They're not necessarily intended for me so I'm okay giving them up. So, she'll likely be getting that pair. But, that doesn't explain why I went to Fiddlesticks. See, I know Fiddlesticks tends to carry LGBTQ+ products (as well as BIPOC products - basically, any marginalized people can find a home there). Turns out Knitcircus is selling their pride colorways exclusively at Fiddlesticks. So, I picked up a 3-pk of the bi-pride colors. Each skein is 200 yds so I'll likely make stripey socks (pink - purple - blue) and use black for the cuff, heels, and toes. I also picked up a couple other skeins that yelled at me while I was there. 

So, I have a future project. In addition to the stuffed animals I need to make. And I need to finish the baby blanket......

Anyway, moving on....

 

OMGLSGWTFBBQ


Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)

 

Design Ideas:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband

2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man

3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon

4. Baby Blanket
5. Stomping Grounds Collection

 

Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1.
Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
2.
Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
3. Musselburgh (any weight - likely DK or worsted)*
4. 3 Color Cashmere Cowl (fingering weight, 3 colors)
5. Gradient Band Cowl (fingering weight - Safronie Fairy Tales gradient and a solid)*
6.
Fine Tune (fingering weight - uses minis so maybe a rainbow type one with the Canon Hand Dyes?)
7. Stashbusting Helix Hats (worsted weight - bits and bobs of worsted)
8. Hüj Tüb (laceweight - maybe that 100% lace cashmere I've had forever?)
9. Undone (bulky - maybe the reclaimed Freeport Vest yarn?)

 

Children's Items/Knitting for others
1. Flax for Little Man (worsted weight - likely Baah Yarns Shasta in London Blue)
2.
Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
3. The Mandolorian (sport weight - need grey, white, and green...which I might have)*
4. Zelda Beanie (worsted weight - black or grey and yellow, which I'm sure I have)
5. Wasabi for Mr. K (worsted weight - Cascade 220 in Moss Agate if possible)
6. Bugle for Miss E (worsted weight - multicolor; htNEVELE in Reverie if possible)
7. Bonbon for Miss C (worsted weight - Cascade 220 in Vinci if possible)
8. Baby Bear for Mr. T (fingering weight - anything will work)
9. Pig for Earle & Duane (worsted weight - need pink, of course...maybe a good use for the one skein of Molly Ringwald I have?)

 

Utilitarian/Household Items
1. On-Trend Chair Socks (worsted weight bits and bobs) - I have a lot of chairs that could use these
2.
Garter Chevron Blanket (KP Mighty Stitch - may need to get some more black or white)
3.
Diagonal Knit Dishcloths (cotton of some sort, possibly a cotton/bamboo blend, depending on use)
4.
Reusable Produce Bag (cotton or acrylic of some sort - worsted)
5. Harry Potter Blanket (worsted weight - based on several dishcloth patterns to make blocks)
6. Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth (cotton or a cotton/bamboo blend, again based on use)
7. Pop Blanket (worsted weight - a little of this and that?)
8. Holiday Countdown Stockings (worsted weight - various colors)

 

Spinning:
1. Wonderland Dyeworks BFL in Stream Bed
2. Wonderland Dyeworks BFL in Winter Night
3. Timber Ridge Farm Alpaca Roving
4. Ashland Bay Fiber 100% Merino Top in English Garden
5. Anne's Fiber Expressions Elynenium

 

Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
(I think I have 5 left)

2. Random worsted/sport skeins (I have maybe 2-3 left)

3. Anything el
se I find along the way (I don't think there's anything else, but maybe?)

 

Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Stash Fit
2. Create a project bag inventory
3. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry) and reorganize yarn
5. Stitch markers: make kits and individual for Etsy shop
6. Destash as necessary/needed

 

Our visitors arrived last weekend on Saturday. We had plans and we did things. On Sunday, my college roommate, a friend's mom (the Queen of Thrift), our older visitor, and I went to the Lands' End Tent Sale and managed to pick up a few things. At the same time, the boys (Husband's best friend/college roommate's husband, Husband, Little Man, Stormageddon, and our younger visitor) got the playhouse from one property to the other. We also got it placed where we wanted it later in the day. 

After we got back from Lands' End, our friends left and the Queen of Thrift, and the rest of us went into Madison for lunch at The Parthenon on State Street, Ragstock, and then to her house to drop the boys off so they could go to the splash pad and the girls (our older visitor, the Queen, and I) went to Dig & Save. We took the Queen of Thrift because she's the type that can find an Armani suit in a dumpster. She has found so many cool things in dumpsters or on the side of the road or in the thrift shops. We all found a few things and I paid the princely sum of $15 because you pay by the pound for clothing. I found a small roller suitcase that was in decent condition for a trip back to California for $3 so really, the clothing was $12 and you can't really go wrong at $1.25/lb. 

Monday, we picked up paint to paint the new playhouse. This is what it looked like originally. The outside wasn't so bad but the inside was this splatter painted mess. However, the boys decided the outside needed to be barn red and the inside was almost the same color blue as the original outside color. We also picked up some brown for the deck on the front.


 

On Tuesday, we took the kids to Noah's Ark, as planned. The weather was agreeable. Little Man wasn't feeling the greatest. He actually fell asleep on the edge of the wave pool for about a half-hour and no one knew where he was. We had a meeting spot where our towels and shoes were sitting and between the three adults, the teen visitor, Stormageddon the younger visitor, and our friend's daughter, we could not find him. I was almost ready to panic when he wandered back, looking very dazed. He was dehydrated and had heat exhaustion. Poor kid. He's fine now, for the most part.


 

Stormageddon enjoyed himself. Actually, everyone enjoyed themselves, even Little Man. 

Wednesday, I took our older charge to the mall (and I went to Fiddlesticks), ran some other errands, and that was about it. Nothing exciting, for the most part. 

Thursday, we went to the Wisconsin State Fair. Much food was consumed but it was so so hot. The kids got to pet a cow (just a baby, really), a pig, and goats. They also got to see chicks as they were hatching, baby ducklings, baby bunnies, and lots of other farm animals. We also saw the goat milking demonstration. That was......yeah, that was hilarious to see the city kids see that.













We also went to the midway for a bit, though Little Man wasn't feeling it (he wasn't quite right yet). 

On Friday, I took the kids over to Little Man's friend's house so his two best friends could meet and it went as well as expected. The boys got along for the most part, which was the intent. We also got to meet their new puppy, who is a bit of a stinker. She likes to try to escape to visit the chickens. Swimming happened, which is always good.




And that brings us to yesterday. Husband's best friend, another one of his friends, and Husband worked on Halloween decorations yesterday. They worked on making our Headless Horseman, which involved pallets, chicken wire, and our rubber horse head. They also worked on the frame for our weeping angel. 

After that, there was some dinner (Pizza Hut), some drinking, some pool, and some pinball. A good time was had by all. And no, the minor was not consuming alcohol. But she did learn how to play pool.



This is Daisy Mae. She's Puppy's girlfriend. She's a two year old yellow lab and she and I were having a moment last night. She's such a good girl. But she wanted my watermelon, which was not happening. 


I hope I have more knitting to show you next week but we'll see how things go. I have a job interview tomorrow (phone) and the visitors are heading back on Tuesday so I'll be driving to Chicago and back. I hope you had a lovely week and weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment