Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

As of late and other follies

It's not that I haven't been doing anything...I just haven't spent a lot of time knitting lately.

Honestly, I have a bunch of projects on needles (Estonian Lace socks, Icarus shawl, baby washclothes, a baby hat, Sherri's shawl, a scarf, and a few other random things). I have just come to the conclusion that, although I like the projects I've got on needles, I'm not overly excited about working on any of them right now. It's actually a really sad, crappy thought.

I had a strange dream last night that I was at an unnamed yarn store that doesn't really exist. I wanted to buy more yarn but the little voice inside my head kept telling me that I had too much yarn at home already. Then I decided that I wanted to make fingerless mittens (something I have been wanting to do for awhile, actually) and a book with all sorts of fingerless mitten patterns magically appeared in front of me. It was a weird dream.

I started my summer job last week; just another reason why I haven't been knitting. I'm working for the Madison Recreation Department in their after-summer-school program. We had training all of last week and we started the "real" part this week. I hate training weeks. I wind up exhausted from sitting on my bum all day, taking in a bunch of information that I only half-care about. On top of that, I have to get up early and deal with Madison traffic. Normally, I don't mind dealing with Madison traffic if I don't have a particular time to be anywhere...but when I have to be somewhere at a specific time on the west side of Madison, I hate the traffic. This week has been exhausting, as well. We've only had two days of the program (Monday and Tuesday) and it's been rough. I have a co-teacher and 17 soon-to-be second graders in my group. The kids we work with come from Madison's southeast side, mostly and equates to a high Hispanic population (we deal with all the bilingual elementary students in the entire program across the city), with some African-American and Hmong students and only a handful of Caucasian students. All the students in the program have trouble in literacy and/or math. There are some with labeled disabilities but most of them do not have a documented disability. My group consists almost entirely of Hispanic students (luckily, they're all bilingual). Sadly, I have some tough little cookies. I had a fist fight break out yesterday between two of my kids. Actually, I think it's safe to say that one pummeled the other. But, on the upside, they seemed to like playing drip-drip-drop (read: duck-duck-goose but with water). Hopefully today will be a better day.

Beyond that, I'm tired. That's to be expected when you're growing things, even more so when you're working a job that requires running around after 17 extremely active six/seven-year-olds. I don't think I've had a good night's sleep in awhile, mostly because of the parasite (can't sleep comfortably - and then I have to get up for a pee in the middle of the night).

Other than that, there really hasn't been much going on around here in my little world. I think I should go get ready for my day, perhaps think about breakfast...

No comments:

Post a Comment