Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sock Oddity...like Space Oddity but not

I've been knitting socks lately. I finished mine a couple of weeks ago (and I don't think I've posted any pictures yet...I'll have to get on that). They were identical twins until I got to the heel flap and then they got a little off. But, that part goes in the shoe and who's going to notice that? I've also finished two pairs of baby socks. Funnily enough, both pairs are also identical twins. I don't know how I do it, seriously! And no, the socks aren't solid colors...variegated/self-striping yarn for all of it.

For my socks, I just started where there was a striking change in the color (between a bright blue and white). I didn't know what would happen...and I ended up with almost identical twins. For the baby socks, I didn't even pay attention since the color changes were significantly shorter. I just started knitting and they ended up twins. Weird.

I'm getting through UFOs like no one's business. I've finished the baby hat (again, I need to take a picture and post it), the two pairs of baby socks (though, those weren't really UFOs since I started them and finished them within a month), my self-designed traveling vines scarf (again, pictures needed...and maybe a proper pattern after I have a test knitter - not me - or two work on it), and a garter stitch scarf made out of recycled sari silk. I think why the garter stitch scarf took so long for me to do was that it was rather boring to knit (seriously, garter stitch the entire way?!) and the yarn was kind of a pain to work with. It was spun the opposite way of most of the yarn I deal with is spun and, because of that, it tended to twist up on itself more and I wound up dealing with knots and really thin bits of yarn. It wasn't a fun project. It's fantastic now that it's done and I'll post pictures. It's not really something I would wear...well, maybe. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet. I'll think of something. The hat took awhile, too. Not that it was hard...but, again, knit stitch the entire way around...and I was forcing myself to use DPNs. It did turn out quite well, though. It was from Susan B. Anderson's Itty-Bitty Hats.

Other than that, I've been having knitting dreams again. Usually, that means that I need to start a "big" project (sweater, afghan, shawl, etc.). I'm not sure I want to do that right now. I want to make socks and things out of sock yarn (God knows I have enough of it)...but I do want to knit another sweater. I have  shawl going but I've taken a break from it.

In non-knitting news, I've made it to 33 weeks...and I can't wait for this baby to quit kicking me! I would also like a full night's worth of sleep. That would be just great! But, I don't think that's going to happen for a long while...like 20 years or more. *sigh*

Also, because of this lack of sleep thing that's been going on and my sudden want for coffee, Brian and I bought a programmable coffee maker and espresso machine. It's been glorious! We had a coffee maker...but it wasn't programmable. Neither of us were crazy about getting up earlier than we needed to just to make coffee...and Brian wanted an espresso maker. So, programmable coffee and espresso maker :) And it's glorious!

Hmmm...what else, what else...I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting but I can't think of it (pregnancy brain!) so I think I'm going to wander off, maybe knit some more (or clean, whatever).

No comments:

Post a Comment