Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Monday, May 16, 2011

Round and round we spin me :)

I know, I know, I promised a post with knitting and pictures and such like that and it's just not going to happen today. I need to hook my iPhone up to the computer and upload the pictures I've taken but I need to find the cord.

I also need to take some more photographs of the item I received in the Brown Bag Exchange...I'm not telling you what it is yet :)

I had planned to do some of this over the weekend but, really, I have a good reason for not getting any of it done. No, really, it's really good...

Little Man landed himself in Children's Hospital again. He had his cardiologist appointment about a week and a half ago...he had an EKG and she listened to him. This past week, he had his ECG (which was fine) and a 24-hour heart monitor (which I assume was fine, too, though I haven't heard). He also had his 6-month appointment with his regular pediatrician...which means shots. Poor kid. All the shots he had were ones he has had before...just not all of them at the same time. He had a huge welt on one of his legs (the side that got two shots) from the shots. Other than that, he was fine...or so I thought. I knew he had a little baby cold but it didn't seem to be bothering him.

And then Friday night happened. We had to fight him for over an hour just to get him to take two ounces of his bottle...usually, he grabs the bottle out of my hand and chugs away, finishing 4.5 oz. at a time. Not so. Seriously, an hour of fighting...and only half of what he normally has.

He didn't drink well over night either, when I woke him up. He coughed so much that he threw up his 4 oz. from 2am...and then he didn't want to drink much more throughout the morning hours. We called his metabolic doctor in the morning and we decided that we should probably take him in to the ER. Thankfully, we learned from the mistakes and stupidity from last time...we were only in the ER for a total of 2 hours, instead of waiting over 2 hours to get the damn IV started.

We stayed over night, until we could see what he was going to do...we discovered when we got upstairs to his room that he had an ear infection. No wonder he was cranky and didn't want to eat. Poor kid. This is his first ear infection. We got to hear a new cry out of him, too.....the "pain" cry. It sounds so pitiful and it really got to Husband...kind of like the face he makes when he sticks his little lip out, frowns, and starts to cry. That's the one that gets to me.

Saturday night was a rough night. Little Man did not want to sleep in the crib. He insisted on sleeping on mommy...except he wouldn't sleep more than a half-hour at a time. He kept either kicking or bobbing his head and I'd wake up, then he'd wake up more, then he'd get fussy. It didn't help that I was sleeping in a recliner...and either my arms will fall asleep or my feet will fall asleep (I don't fit very well). It just was not a fun night.

Luckily, we came home yesterday it was just an overnight stint. He's on amoxicillin for the ear infection, an alteration of Tylenol and Motrin for the pain (in his ears and for his teeth), and eating whenever he wants (but no longer than 8 hours during the day and 4 hours at night). He's already feeling much better. I don't have to fight him to get him to eat, which is nice. He's also acting much more like himself :)

With that said, it's caused me to do some thinking. This is only the second time he's ever been sick...and both times landed him in Children's Hospital. I'm supposed to be student teaching in the fall...working in a germ factory, late nights, etc. If he's going to wind up in the hospital every time he gets sick, student teaching is not going to work. I cannot take time off during student teaching, even if it's for a family/medical emergency...well, I can but it means I'll have to work longer. There's a little give during first semester because they don't have a fall break but spring semester gets tricky because of spring break and Easter break. So, I think I've made the decision that I'm going to I just have to withdraw from classes and let the placement coordinator know.


But, in knitting news, I started the giraffe from Susan B. Anderson's Itty-Bitty Toys...except I'm making it green for Little Man. I'm almost done with the body and that's a good portion of the whole thing. I may make another one for Little Man's cousin, Sweet Girl. I won't have it done by the time we go to visit in a couple of weeks but I'm thinking Christmas/birthday (her birthday is about a week and a half before Christmas). Maybe. We'll have to see how the one for Little Man goes first...

Anyway, I promise that I'll post pictures from Brown Bag Exchange and other adventures soon...


  1. Scary stuff! I hope Little man feels better soon.

  2. Dang! Sounds like a pretty rough weekend. I hope all is better now. I hope you'll post pix of the giraffe. Sounds adorable in green!

  3. That is a big decision for you and I think you made the right choice. Major germs in the classroom and your baby is too young to have to deal w/more than he has to already.
    *hugs* to you both.