Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Swatch. It's a dirty word.

Let's talk about that awful six-letter word: SWATCH.

Generally speaking, I do not swatch for anything. Ever. I guess you could say that I like to fly by the seat of my pants and the worst thing that happens is that I have to rip something out. Boo-hoo, whaa-whaa.

I've made a few mistakes by not doing a proper swatch. I've had to rip out a couple false starts to a couple different socks. I've altered patterns on the fly because I didn't swatch (yes, I'm looking at you, Little Man's Vest). And sometimes, things just don't turn out and get totally frogged. Oh well.

It's a fact of life when you live on the edge and don't swatch.

But, friends, let me tell you a dirty little secret: I swatched last night. Okay, so I didn't do a full, proper swatch because I didn't wash, block, and dry said swatch but since I'm not doing lace, I don't have to pull it into a specific shape.

Let me say that again in case you missed it: I swatched...for an actual project.

I've had a major case of Startitis since finishing my Icarus Shawl (which has not been blocked yet, just for the record) and I've started (and finished) some projects but I've decided that I just don't have enough going on and it's time to start a big project.

Sooooooo.......I looked at my Self-Imposed Year of Projects list and decided that it was time to start my Freeport Vest. I've had the yarn for about a year and a half and it was on my list last year and it just didn't happen. But, I want it and it's time. I pulled out the yarn the other day, went and purchased somewhat appropriate needles (more on that in a mo), and spent some time yesterday winding yarn into balls.

I have thirteen skeins of Malabrigo Chunky for this vest. Yes, I realize I probably over-purchased but I wanted to make sure I'd have enough. The pattern calls for US #10 (6 mm) and US #10.5 (6.5 mm) needles and 3.5 sts x 5 rows per inch on the larger (in stockinette). I pulled out my new needles, the smaller ones in this case, cast on 20 stitches, and knit for awhile in stockinette. I have a small ball of yarn from one of my bigger balls where I found a knot toward the end. So, I just separated it into a big ball and a tiny ball. Anyway, I finished that and took out my handy-dandy tape measure. Keep in mind that I was using the smaller of the two needles.

Guess what?

I'm glad I swatched. I am very close to gauge on the smaller needles (3.75 sts x 5 rows per inch). For shits and giggles, I swatched on the larger needles. Yeah...my gauge was something like 2.4 sts x 3.5 rows per inch. Not happening. I had to go on a quest for smaller needles, specifically a US #9 (5.5 mm). Luckily, I was able to find one and I made a gauge swatch with that. My gauge was smaller and a bit more reasonable for being the smaller needle.



I think I'm glad I swatched for this...

1 comment:

  1. I only swatch for bigger things like sweaters. I can pretty much eyeball a sock or hat but sweaters really need to be swatched...

    ReplyDelete