|Teething Cloths (no project page)|
Time Frame: Um.....I did them in half-hour or forty minute spurts over the last few weeks...
Yarn: Random assortment of kitchen cotton held double
Needles: US #8 (5 mm) straights
Size: Um, small enough for babies' hands?
Modification(s): None, really. I made garter stitch squares, most of them just back and forth but I did make one diagonal.
Thoughts: These are going to my sister-in-law's house as they have two infants under 9 months old (they're foster parents so they have siblings, almost 3 years and 8 months and then they got a Safe Haven baby about a month ago). Basically, they're for the babies to chew on whilst they are teething (and the 8 month old is definitely teething). There's really not much to them other than a tight gauge (hence the yarn held double) and being made out of something that isn't going to shed...and machine washable, of course. They don't use up much yarn at all (which is perfect for those random scraps of kitchen cotton) and they take about a half-hour or so to make (each). Also, when the babies are done with them, they make great little coasters because they're absorbent :)
|Sacrificial Goat #6 (link to Project Page)|
Pattern: Goat by Sarah Gasson
Time Frame: started August 23, 2015; finished September 1, 2015
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in Daffodil and Black (no, I haven't figured out how much but it's less than a half skein for both...probably closer to a quarter skein of the yellow and a teensy bit of the black)
Needles: US #5 (3.75 mm) straights and DPNs
Size: Whatever size it came out
Modification(s): As this is the sixth time I've knit this, there isn't much to say about modifications that I haven't said elsewhere. Basically, it was knit as written (sans the fun fur) except the legs, which were knit in the round when I attached the yellow and I did actual bind offs for everything except the horns and head/body (where it makes sense to break the yarn and thread through remaining stitches).
Thoughts: I'm tired of these damn things. I think I have at least one more to make.....for Little Man. But he wants white and brown. Luckily, I ordered yarn for that, too :)
|Petty Harbour Socks (link to Project Page)|
Pattern: Petty Harbour by Rayna Curtis Fegan (link to blog)
Time Frame: started July 29, 2015; finished September 5, 2015
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock (Heavyweight) in Lucy in the Sky (not a whole skein)
Needles: US #1.5 (2.5 mm) circulars (two)
Size: small (56 sts) but.......
......Modification(s): This pattern calls for sock yarn.....as in fingering weight yarn. What did I use? DK weight "sock" yarn. But I wanted this yarn to be socks! I originally started the medium size (64 sts) and found that they were way too big.....so, I wound up making the small size. The intention is for these to be squishy house socks so they don't need to be long...just need to fit. So, I did the small size on US #1.5 needles using DK weight. My hands hurt knitting these because the gauge was so tight for the yarn/needle combination. But the result was exactly what I had in mind. Also, I changed the heel flap to my usual one (modified Eye of Partridge) and I did a single gusset heel decrease (because there just weren't enough stitches to do the double gusset heel decrease properly).
Thoughts: The pattern is easy to memorize and, therefore, goes fairly quickly.....which, maybe I shouldn't be saying because I knit these using DK weight yarn. Of course, you'll see that they took me over a month but that's because I screwed up on the second sock and misplaced one of my stitch markers for the gusset decreases and wound up being off by a stitch and didn't notice until I had almost finished said gusset decreases......the socks wound up on time out until I worked up enough.......something to tink back the 12 or so rounds and fix the mistake. Then it was pretty smooth sailing. I may even make these socks again in a normal sock yarn :)
I hope you're all having a lovely Friday :)