So, first and foremostly, I have THREE FOs that deserve an FO Friday.....but today, you're only getting one (the other two are currently drying/blocking). Funnily enough, it's the most recent FO (as in: I finished it late last night). No matter. Let's see it already!
|Creeper for Little Man (link to Project Page)|
Pattern: Creeper Gonna Creep by Shelly Jackson
Time Frame: started March 4, 2016; finished March 10, 2016
Yarn: Trendsetter Yarns Merino VI Solids in Citrus (less than a half skein, probably closer to a quarter skein) and a teensy bit of black for the face
Needles: US #3 Signature DPNs
Size: Whatever size it came out
Modification(s): Oh boy....the modifications.....there were some things that just did not work for me in the original directions so some changes were made. Most of the major changes involved the four little legs, though there were minor changes on the head, as well (including embroidering the face instead of duplicate stitching). I actually wrote out my directions for how I did the legs in my project notes. The pattern calls for picking up stitches on the bottom of the body and knitting them directly on, which just did not work for me. I tried four times to get a leg started and it did not go well. So, I just made the legs separately, stuffed and closed them, stitched them to each other and then whipstitched the body to the legs. It stands up better this way, in my opinion, and therefore looks more like a Creeper (which I've only seen glimpses of as Little Man plays Minecraft).
|Prior to being whipstitched together|
Thoughts: It's a free pattern on Shelly's blog (which I remember seeing when it came out and thought, "I'm going to wind up making this one day," which wasn't wrong, obviously). As far as the pattern itself, there are a few things that are.....not exactly missing but that were unclear, particularly in the directions for the legs. I understand what she did but I couldn't make my needles emulate it, which probably says more about me and my abilities than her. However, I was not the only one to have this problem. So, I came up with an alternative that worked for me. With that said, it is a fairly quick knit and results in a little stuffed Creeper. Little Man has been going on and on about it for days (when he caught me starting it last week). Even with the adjustments for the legs and writing out those directions, the legs took me all of an hour and a half total time from writing to knitting, stuffing, stitching, and attaching everything together. Not difficult.
Anyway, once my other projects are done drying and such, I should have another FO Friday. It'll probably be a two-fer :)
I hope you're having a lovely Friday. I *should* be back on Sunday with my Self-Imposed Year of Projects update :)