It's been a crazy couple of weeks around here and, as a result, I've been a little lax on posting for FO Friday (and WIP Wednesday and Stash Acquisition Saturday).
But, I've got a hot minute so it's time to post a few FOs :)
|Link to Project Page|
Pattern: Hermione's Everyday Socks by Erica Lueder
Time Frame: started November 14, 2016; finished January 28, 2017
Yarn: Malabrigo Sock in Fresco Y Seco (less than 1 skein)
Needles: US #1 (2.25 mm) circulars (four sets - one set had 2-32" and the other was 2-40")
Size: 64 sts (average size)
Modification(s): I don't know if these are really modifications but here are things I did differently: Jeny's Stretchy CO over two needles, k3xp1 ribbing for 25 rounds, 12 pattern repeats on the leg (and 18 on the foot because I have US9 clodhoppers), double gusset heel decreases .....that was about it for things I did that may or may not have been different. Otherwise, I think I followed the pattern.
Thoughts: Since this is the second time I've made these socks, they seemed to go a bit faster. Actually, I just looked...the first pair took me 8.5 months to knit. These took two. Why did they go faster? Probably because I wasn't so scaterbrained about the socks but maybe also because I was knitting both socks at the same time (two different sets of circular needles). That made some of the changes a bit easier. I might make these again. We'll see.
|Double Gusset Heel Decrease|
Pattern: Pikachu Hat by Jessica Hansen (no links - I couldn't find any)
Time Frame: started February 3, 2017; finished February 10, 2017
Yarn: Uh.....I really should look at the ball band. It's an acrylic from a big box store (Michael's or Joann's - I forget which). I know it's not RHSS. I want to say it's either something from Loops & Threads or Bernat. I cannot remember. Anyway, yellow and black.
Needles: US #5 (3.75 mm) 16" circular and US #8 (5 mm) 16" circular and DPNs
Size: Um........we'll talk about this in a minute
Modification(s): The original is supposed to be knit flat and seamed, which I was not about doing so I changed the number of stitches used, and obviously changed the decreases to accommodate. Other than that, there weren't really any modifications...maybe a few small things on the ears. Also, the original called for DK weight but I used worsted.
Thoughts: A friend sent me this pattern because Stormageddon and Little Man love Pikachu but......there are some important things missing or that caused me some issue. Firstly, the pattern is written entirely in metric, which isn't exactly a problem (our rulers and such have both) but it kept tripping me up. It's not the fault of the designer. But I expect it will trip up many American knitters. Secondly, she uses some non-standard abbreviations (g-st for garter stitch, for example). It's also never explicitly stated that it's knit flat until you get to the point of seaming up the back...nor does it explicitly say that you're supposed to join in-the-round. I suppose you could argue that everything is implied if you read through the pattern beforehand (but really, who does that?!). Also, the directions for the face are a little ambiguous. I mean, there are measurements for how big everything should be but she keeps referring to an illustration, which is missing (though there is a photo and maybe that's what she meant). In the end, it turned out really cute but I had to do some intuitive knitting for this project. I also had to do some fancy work to make the face work.
When I make it again (because this first one went into Little Man's classroom's basket for the school auction and I have two boys that love Pikachu), I'll probably do a few small changes like how I attach the face and the sizing and such. I may also go up a needle size. It's a little stiff. It's not so bad that you can't wear it but I think it probably needs some flexibility for kids.
|Ignore my messy bookshelves in the background|
My handspun from Frene Creek Farm still isn't dry so that's going to have to wait a week or so. I will say that it turned the water blue during the first wash and the water was green after the second wash. But, it looks lovely and squishy so I'm going to have to show it off soon :)
I'll be back tomorrow with a few acquired items......oops.