Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, May 6, 2018

Year SEVEN: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Update #18

Hello, happy Sunday :) We know why we're here so let's get going.


FOs (Finished Objects)
1. Adare: started 30 December 2017; finished 5 January 2018
2. Luck o' the Irish Cowl: started 31 December 2017; finished 14 January 2018
3. Rasta Scarf: started 19 January 2018; finished 10 February 2018
4. Rastarmulke (v2): started 10 February 2018; finished 10 February 2018
5. Gamer Bag: started 28 September 2017; frogged 16 February 2018
6. Oh, She Is a Bad Nut: started 11 August 2016; frogged 16 February 2018
7. Garter Stitch Baby Blanket: started 6 July 2017; finished 3 April 2018
8. Pattern submission: started 19 March 2018; finished 3 April 2018
9. Tiny Narwhal: started 5 April 2018; finished 6 April 2018
10. Tiny Narwhal: started 5 April 2018; finished 6 April 2018

Nope. Nothing new. Yet.


WIPs (Works-in-Progress) These are carried over from the last Year of Projects....or longer.
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Smooth Operator Socks: started 13 October 2016
3. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017
4. Hat Design: started 20 March 2017
5. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017
6. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
7. Paradiddle Prototype: started 19 October 2017
8. Returning: started 14 January 2018
9. Frankensocks: started 1 March 2018
10. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini Spinner): started 13 April 2018
11. Hat for Little Man: started 19 April 2018
12. Granny Square Blanket (1): started 28 April 2018

There has not been a lot of fibery endeavors happening around here but there have been some. Little Man's hat continues to grow. It's definitely striped but I'm at the point now where I'm worried that I am, in fact, going to run out of yarn...and it's discontinued and no one has it for sale (though there are people on Ravelry with it in their stash and I might be able to buy one off someone). I'm hoping I can squeeze out the crown decreases with what I have but I probably shouldn't hold my breath on that.

In addition to that, I have finished a total of three granny squares. So, there's the first one that I showed last week (as an "in progress" photo, even though it was finished by then) and the second one, which I finished up earlier this week, and now I have a third one finished. I've started the fourth. I feel like I've hardly made a dent in the ball of yarn but I know it's doing something because I had to rewind it into a ball. I was pulling from the center of the cake and it was starting to collapse in on itself and make tangles so I wound it by hand....which took far longer than I cared for but it's done. The second cake is going to be pulled from the outside so I shouldn't have to worry about that.

But no photos. I've been kind of lazy with the photos lately. Oops.



OMGLSGWTFBBQ Lists:

Children's Items
1. Stuffed toy for my Devil Niece (so-called because her initials are TAZ)
2. Undetermined hat for Stormageddon
3. Mittens for Stormageddon
4. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018)
5. Lancelot for Little Man (worsted weight - green Plymouth Encore)
6. Dandy Sir Cephalopod (worsted weight - Red Creek blue, probably for #1 on this list)

Items for ME (selfish knitting FTW!)
1. Brickless (worsted - Miss Babs Yowza in "Celebration") *
2. Honey Badger (fingering - BMFA STR L - one of the ones from Carrie)
3. Park Slope (fingering - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot)
4. Maya's Shawl (bulky - Plucky Silk Merino Aran)
5. Companion Mitts (fingering - BMFA STR orange from Carrie) *
6. Forest Cardi (worsted - Baah Shasta in "London Blue" and....something....)
7. Flax (worsted - Cascade 220 in "Royal Blue" or Misti Alpaca Harry Potter color)
8. Jag in Garter Stitch (fingering - KP Palette grey and Artfibers Carezza)
9. Reichenbach (fingering - AVFKW Slick or BMFA STR-M in "Vintage")
10. Sockhead (fingering - Madelinetosh Merino Light)
11. Moab (fingering - Wollmeise in "Lavender")
12. Pumpkin Pie (DK - Kangaroo Dyer orange)
13. Age of Brass & Steam (DK - Berroco Comfort DK)
14. Anne's Sweater (sport - Artfibers something)
15. Moyen Age (fingering - Vice special order either grey or green)

Random Things
1. Pop Blanket (worsted - may need to order some yarn for this)
2. University of Wisconsin Ski Hat kit
3. University of Wisconsin Christmas Stocking kit
4. University of Wisconsin Button Beanie kit
5. Xandu Snowflake Cowl (fingering - two contrasting colors)

Designs
1. Susan's Hat *started* - need new prototype & write pattern
2. Little Man's Baby Blanket *started* - write pattern
3. Paradiddle Socks  *started* - need prototype & write pattern
4. Pacific Waves Hat *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
5. Fall in San Francisco *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
6. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
7. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater - Old Navy hooded sweater with cable) - need sketch,
grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
8. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
9. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
10. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
11. Stomping Grounds collection *started* - need everything: charts, prototypes, swatches, etc.

Spinning
1. AVFKW Merino Silk
2.  Abstract Fiber Merino Tencel
3. Allons-Y Fiber Arts 18.5 Micron Merino
4. Allons-Y Fiber Arts Merino, Trilobal Nylon, Silk
5. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)
6. Ambrosia & Bliss Rambouillet Top
7. Anne's Fiber Expressions
8. Ashland Bay Fiber Merino Top
9. BMFA Handpainted Roving
10. Bramble Wool Farm Shetland Wool

Dyeing
1. Malabrigo Nube (fiber)
2. Gaia (worsted)
3. Euro Sock 6-ply
4. Whatever else I find in the bag...I have a bag...or maybe a couple of bags....

Other Fibery Endeavors
1. Stitch markers
2. Vintage patterns into Rav database
3. Inventory of books & loose patterns (update)
4. Inventory of PDF patterns (update)
5. Update yarn inventory (make sure it's up-to-date)/destash
6. Inventory project bags (Erin Lane, I'm looking at you)



Last week, I had spent some time in the yarn closet because of Maker Faire. This week, I spent some time in my corner in the bedroom because it was starting to drive me nuts. I went through my craft books and pulled out four that need to vacate the premises as well as a couple of magazines that are a decade old and went into the recycling bin. I went through the rolling cart and the project bags. I wound up putting about 6 bags away and moving yarn around and putting yarn away and sorting bags and getting things much better contained. It wasn't much but it helped me feel not so chaotic. 

Other than that, I also spent some time with my hand carders. Last year, we went to the Sheep to Shawl event at Elkus Ranch. Little Man and I washed and dyed some yarn. He dyed his what I suspect was supposed to be orange, though it's pink in some spots. Mine was green, of course. After I had washed it with vinegar (again) and dried it, it sat in a ziploc bag for a year. I needed to card it and I just didn't want to. Buuuuut, I took the time and carded the two little tufts of color. I wound up with three rolags of each color, which isn't a whole lot. I'll probably spin the singles separately and Andean-ply it onto itself, rather than making it an orange/green barber pole. I have no idea what I'll ever do with them. But I'll have them. I also started carding some of the merino fleece that I started processing last year. I washed about 10 oz of the fleece last year, let it dry, and stuck it in a bag.....now I'm finally carding it and picking it. Very slowly. I'll probably wind up with around 8 oz of fiber, once I finish. I had the rest of the fleece processed by Morro Fleece. So, it's just this bit left. 

Outside of that, I'm still working on auction stuff. We have just a couple accounts that need attention, I'm trying to tease out the budget information, and I'm getting the "end of the year" surveys out so I can start planning for next year. I keep telling myself that it's almost done but I know I'm totally lying. It will never end. I'm going to be doing this forever. Or not. 

Anyway, here are some photos from this last week :)



Iron Man playing with his HulkBuster. Or, rather, Brother's Hulkbuster. 



Little Man discovered that certain tree barks make good, thin paper-like sheets. That's what he has in his hands. He peeled it so thin that he probably could have used it for paper. 



This is one of the neighborhood kitties. We keep seeing this one under a bush on our walk. Still a little too skittish to come out but will acknowledge us and doesn't run when we stop to look. 


Friday was, of course, May the Fourth......so everyone was in Star Wars. Husband had a Star Wars party at work. He brought in the movie posters and our robot BB8. We had some of Little Man's friends over and let the boys play with their lightsabers and we eventually turned on the Last Jedi. 







Husband came home from work with some new masks. The Chewbacca one that Little Man has on actually makes noise, which we all find amusing. Stormageddon's is a Stormtrooper and Husband, of course, has Darth Vader. And his Jedi robe. He thought about making his own but found one online that worked out just fine for him. 

Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo. I went to a party, leaving Husband with the boys. I got a call at 10:18pm last night: COME HOME NOW. When I got home, I found Stormageddon in the shower. Husband was asleep, he was playing on the iPad and decided he wanted something. He climbed up on the counter and pulled out the bottle of strawberry Nesquik, unscrewed the top, and dumped half a bottle of the syrup all over our bed, himself, and the floor. So, our bedding needed washing, our carpet needed washing (keep in mind that we have a tan colored carpet and this syrup is pink), the kid needed washing....it was a mess. ::sigh:: 

So, you know, ups and downs :) 

I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. OMGoodness, mischievous boy! The BB8 is awesome. I like that tree bark; that would be a great, textural piece for a card.

    ReplyDelete