Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Year SEVEN: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Update #19

Happy Sunday/Mother's Day (if you're a USian) :)


FOs (Finished Objects)
1. Adare: started 30 December 2017; finished 5 January 2018
2. Luck o' the Irish Cowl: started 31 December 2017; finished 14 January 2018
3. Rasta Scarf: started 19 January 2018; finished 10 February 2018
4. Rastarmulke (v2): started 10 February 2018; finished 10 February 2018
5. Gamer Bag: started 28 September 2017; frogged 16 February 2018
6. Oh, She Is a Bad Nut: started 11 August 2016; frogged 16 February 2018
7. Garter Stitch Baby Blanket: started 6 July 2017; finished 3 April 2018
8. Pattern submission: started 19 March 2018; finished 3 April 2018
9. Tiny Narwhal: started 5 April 2018; finished 6 April 2018
10. Tiny Narwhal: started 5 April 2018; finished 6 April 2018

Ha. Keep moving.


WIPs (Works-in-Progress) These are carried over from the last Year of Projects....or longer.
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Smooth Operator Socks: started 13 October 2016
3. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017
4. Hat Design: started 20 March 2017
5. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017
6. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
7. Paradiddle Prototype: started 19 October 2017
8. Returning: started 14 January 2018
9. Frankensocks: started 1 March 2018
10. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini Spinner): started 13 April 2018
11. Hat for Little Man: started 19 April 2018
12. Granny Square Blanket (1): started 28 April 2018

I'm at a complete impasse with my hat for Little Man. I am out of the blue yarn, as I suspected. I've put out a couple of emails regarding buying a skein from someone. I've heard back from one, who sadly used hers awhile ago. But there's hope, right? Right? So, I'm at that point.

Because that wasn't working out for me, I pulled out my Paradiddle Prototype socks and am working on the toe decreases. I might have the first sock finished before the end of the summer. Or not. We'll see how things go.

I also pulled out the FrankenSocks and worked a few rounds. As much as I don't want to, I'm probably going to have to dig out second skeins...or, *gasp* buy second skeins (of the two "commercial" ones - I have a second skein of the indie one, which is lucky because she's stopped dyeing yarn and, according to the Better Business Bureau, she's closed up shop entirely).

Lastly, I've spent some time with my crocheted granny squares. I have three finished and the fourth is close to being finished. I also went out and bought more yarn for this project. I suspect that two skeins just isn't going to be enough...so, I bought two  more. I hope that's enough.


OMGLSGWTFBBQ Lists:

Children's Items
1. Stuffed toy for my Devil Niece (so-called because her initials are TAZ)
2. Undetermined hat for Stormageddon
3. Mittens for Stormageddon
4. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018)
5. Lancelot for Little Man (worsted weight - green Plymouth Encore)
6. Dandy Sir Cephalopod (worsted weight - Red Creek blue, probably for #1 on this list)

Items for ME (selfish knitting FTW!)
1. Brickless (worsted - Miss Babs Yowza in "Celebration") *
2. Honey Badger (fingering - BMFA STR L - one of the ones from Carrie)
3. Park Slope (fingering - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot)
4. Maya's Shawl (bulky - Plucky Silk Merino Aran)
5. Companion Mitts (fingering - BMFA STR orange from Carrie) *
6. Forest Cardi (worsted - Baah Shasta in "London Blue" and....something....)
7. Flax (worsted - Cascade 220 in "Royal Blue" or Misti Alpaca Harry Potter color)
8. Jag in Garter Stitch (fingering - KP Palette grey and Artfibers Carezza)
9. Reichenbach (fingering - AVFKW Slick or BMFA STR-M in "Vintage")
10. Sockhead (fingering - Madelinetosh Merino Light)
11. Moab (fingering - Wollmeise in "Lavender")
12. Pumpkin Pie (DK - Kangaroo Dyer orange)
13. Age of Brass & Steam (DK - Berroco Comfort DK)
14. Anne's Sweater (sport - Artfibers something)
15. Moyen Age (fingering - Vice special order either grey or green)

Random Things
1. Pop Blanket (worsted - may need to order some yarn for this)
2. University of Wisconsin Ski Hat kit
3. University of Wisconsin Christmas Stocking kit
4. University of Wisconsin Button Beanie kit
5. Xandu Snowflake Cowl (fingering - two contrasting colors)

Designs
1. Susan's Hat *started* - need new prototype & write pattern
2. Little Man's Baby Blanket *started* - write pattern
3. Paradiddle Socks  *started* - need prototype & write pattern
4. Pacific Waves Hat *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
5. Fall in San Francisco *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
6. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
7. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater - Old Navy hooded sweater with cable) - need sketch,
grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
8. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
9. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
10. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
11. Stomping Grounds collection *started* - need everything: charts, prototypes, swatches, etc.

Spinning
1. AVFKW Merino Silk
2.  Abstract Fiber Merino Tencel
3. Allons-Y Fiber Arts 18.5 Micron Merino
4. Allons-Y Fiber Arts Merino, Trilobal Nylon, Silk
5. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)
6. Ambrosia & Bliss Rambouillet Top
7. Anne's Fiber Expressions
8. Ashland Bay Fiber Merino Top
9. BMFA Handpainted Roving
10. Bramble Wool Farm Shetland Wool

Dyeing
1. Malabrigo Nube (fiber)
2. Gaia (worsted)
3. Euro Sock 6-ply
4. Whatever else I find in the bag...I have a bag...or maybe a couple of bags....

Other Fibery Endeavors
1. Stitch markers
2. Vintage patterns into Rav database
3. Inventory of books & loose patterns (update)
4. Inventory of PDF patterns (update)
5. Update yarn inventory (make sure it's up-to-date)/destash
6. Inventory project bags (Erin Lane, I'm looking at you)



This week has been all over.

We found a squirrel in our tree in the front yard. There's not much left of the tree since we trimmed it down but the squirrel played there anyway.



The exciting thing that happened this week:



That is my new washing machine. It's a Maytag (our old one was a Whirlpool), it's lovely, and I don't have to babysit my damn washing machine anymore!



Stormageddon was very excited. Can you tell? He was busy watching PJ Masks. I don't think he really cared, other than the washer wasn't beeping every five seconds.

Husband has been stressed out at work. The stress has led to some food cravings....so we went to the local Mexican place. The boys were.....well, they were themselves. Little Man ate some of his food and Stormageddon sustained himself on chips (just chips - no salsa) and milk.





Friday afternoon, Little Man had a playdate with one of his classmates. Originally, it was going to be his classmate and his classmate's younger brother, who is just a few months older than Stormageddon. And their mom, because of course. Unfortunately, the younger brother was being kind of a puke so he stayed home. The boys still had fun, though.

Yesterday, we did a few things. The Dad's Club at school had their annual pancake breakfast. We were there right at 8am...I think we were the first customers of the day. That was probably good because Little Man's Cub Scout den had a hike at 9:30am. It wasn't a long hike, maybe 1/3 of a mile, but it was one of our things for the next badge. Along the way, we found a few things:


That is a banana slug. It's not particularly dangerous. If you kiss it, your lips will get numb (kind of like if you're wearing a peppermint chapstick)...but they're huge. This one was moved to safety.





We also found a bunch of caterpillars. They look like they have a bunch of eggs on their back but they aren't actually eggs. I'm not 100% positive but they appear to be white marked tussock moth caterpillars. Little Man found four or five on his own, and a couple of the other boys in his den also found several. They were all super proud of themselves.

After our hike, we went into San Francisco for lunch at Rosamunde, which is a German sausage place (read: Bratwurst) and I dropped Husband and his college friend off at Fieldworks after that. Exciting time sall around.

Aside from all that, it appears I've got a new allergy-related reaction: my eyes have started swelling. Normally, they just get itchy and watery but the swelling is a new thing. I put in a request to see an allergist (rather than just seeing one, I have to get a referral, which is annoying). I also made an appointment to get my hair cut and colored at the end of the month. Now if I can just make a doctor appointment and an eye appointment, I'll be all caught up. ::sigh::


So, that's life in "northern" California :) I hope you've had a lovely weekend and week at your places!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about your allergies. Hope they lessen soon. I love banana slugs, but I have to say I have never 'kissed' one. I have heard about the numbness though. Cool find with the caterpillars. Hope your hubby's stress eases soon too. No fun I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your eyes swelled up. I have allergy issues lately with most meds not workin' much for me. I have yet to try Flonase though. I'm sorry your husband's been stressed out at work. Mine is workin' hard and is rundown again. He has never been ill on and off at his old job but well, he was very comfortable there then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, allergies are the worst! I use dot get terrible spring time allergies, so I hear you (oddly they went away after I had kids? pregnancy is weird). I hope you are feeling better soon. How fun is that banana slug! Kids and bigs, a classic tale of friendship, for sure.

    ReplyDelete