Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Year SEVEN: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Update #35

Happy Sunday! Let's get going!



FOs (Finished Objects)

1. Adare: started 30 December 2017; finished 5 January 2018
2. Luck o' the Irish Cowl: started 31 December 2017; finished 14 January 2018
3. Rasta Scarf: started 19 January 2018; finished 10 February 2018
4. Rastarmulke (v2): started 10 February 2018; finished 10 February 2018
5. Gamer Bag: started 28 September 2017; frogged 16 February 2018
6. Oh, She Is a Bad Nut: started 11 August 2016; frogged 16 February 2018
7. Garter Stitch Baby Blanket: started 6 July 2017; finished 3 April 2018
8. Pattern submission: started 19 March 2018; finished 3 April 2018
9. Tiny Narwhal: started 5 April 2018; finished 6 April 2018
10. Tiny Narwhal: started 5 April 2018; finished 6 April 2018
11. Hat for Little Man: started 19 April 2018; finished 27 May 2018
12. River's Edge Fiber Arts Falkland Merino (wheel): started 19 May 2018; finished 2 June 2018
13. Smooth Operator Socks: started 13 October 2016; finished 12 June 2018
14. MaryAnn Wool (wheel): started 9 July 2018; finished 12 July 2018
15. Malabrigo Nube (wheel): started 12 July 2018; finished 20 July 2018
16. Paradiddle Prototype: started 19 October 2017; finished 31 July 2018
17. Frankensocks: started 1 March 2018; finished 2 August 2018

{mumble mumble} Let's not talk about the ends that still need to be woven in on my Frankensocks.



WIPs (Works-in-Progress) These are carried over from the last Year of Projects....or longer.
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017
3. Hat Design: started 20 March 2017
4. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017
5. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
6. Returning: started 14 January 2018
7. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini Spinner): started 13 April 2018
8. Granny Square Blanket (1): started 28 April 2018
9. Clapotis: started 29 June 2018
10. Safari Duo - Ella the Elephant: started 11 July 2018
11. University of Wisconsin Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
12. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018
13. Age of Brass & Steam Shawl: started 10 August 2018
14. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018

I worked on a few things this past week. I've had this crazy urge to weave...except I really don't own a loom. I mean, I kind of own a loom...but it's not anything huge. I own a Purl & Loop Wee Weaver that I picked up from Miss Babs' booth at Stitches West in 2017. It's teeny and I've only tried using it once before. It didn't go well. I think it was because I was using worsted weight and was pulling far too tightly at the sides. I'm using sock yarn this time around and it's going much better. I might even get something useable out of it at the end. But, all the same, I'm pondering an Inkle Loom or a Rigid Heddle Loom. For now, just my little Wee Weaver.

I also worked on my Age of Brass & Steam. I'm almost to the fourth set of eyelets. I don't know that I'm going to be able to get five sets but I'm going to try. I do plan to put in a lifeline, ,just in case.


I took this on Monday morning during Stormageddon's speech therapy session. I'm further along than when this photo was taken but you get the idea.

But neither of those are the exciting thing.

I pulled out my oldest project this week. Yes, you read that correctly. I pulled out my Wink sweater and actually worked on it. I made sure to remeasure myself and check my gauge and compare with the size I was knitting. Thankfully, I still measured at a 46" size and I'm knitting the 52," plus my gauge is only off by maybe 1/4" (I'm getting something like 4.75 sts/inch instead of the 4.5 sts that the pattern calls for). So, I'll get a slightly smaller sweater but I'm already knitting it larger so it should work out in the end. I finally got past the split for the armholes. Thought, admittedly, I haven't worked on it in a few days. Oops.



OMGLSGWTFBBQ Lists:

Children's Items
1. Undetermined hat for Stormageddon
2. Mittens for Stormageddon
3. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018)
4. Lancelot for Little Man (worsted weight - green Plymouth Encore)
5. Dandy Sir Cephalopod (worsted weight - Red Creek blue, maybe)

Items for ME (selfish knitting FTW!)
1. Brickless (worsted - Miss Babs Yowza in "Celebration") *
2. Honey Badger (fingering - BMFA STR L - one of the ones from Carrie)
3. Park Slope (fingering - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot)
4. Maya's Shawl (bulky - Plucky Silk Merino Aran)
5. Companion Mitts (fingering - BMFA STR orange from Carrie) *
6. Forest Cardi (worsted - Baah Shasta in "London Blue" and....something....)
7. Flax (worsted - Cascade 220 in "Royal Blue" or Misti Alpaca Harry Potter color)
8. Jag in Garter Stitch (fingering - KP Palette grey and Artfibers Carezza)
9. Reichenbach (fingering - AVFKW Slick or BMFA STR-M in "Vintage")
10. Sockhead (fingering - Madelinetosh Merino Light)
11. Moab (fingering - Wollmeise in "Lavender")
12. Pumpkin Pie (DK - Kangaroo Dyer orange)
13. Anne's Sweater (sport - Artfibers something)
14. Moyen Age (fingering - Vice special order either grey or green)

Random Things
1. Pop Blanket (worsted - may need to order some yarn for this)
2. University of Wisconsin Christmas Stocking kit
3. University of Wisconsin Button Beanie kit
4. Xandu Snowflake Cowl (fingering - two contrasting colors)

Designs
1. Susan's Hat *started* - need new prototype & write pattern
2. Little Man's Baby Blanket *started* - write pattern
3. Paradiddle Socks  *started* - need prototype & write pattern
4. Pacific Waves Hat *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
5. Fall in San Francisco *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
6. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
7. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater - Old Navy hooded sweater with cable) - need sketch,
grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
8. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
9. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
10. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
11. Stomping Grounds collection *started* - need everything: charts, prototypes, swatches, etc.

Spinning
1. AVFKW Merino Silk
2.  Abstract Fiber Merino Tencel
3. Allons-Y Fiber Arts 18.5 Micron Merino
4. Allons-Y Fiber Arts Merino, Trilobal Nylon, Silk
5. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)
6. Ambrosia & Bliss Rambouillet Top
7. Anne's Fiber Expressions
8. Ashland Bay Fiber Merino Top
9. BMFA Handpainted Roving
10. Bramble Wool Farm Shetland Wool

Dyeing
1. Gaia (worsted)
2. Euro Sock 6-ply or BFL Sock (I can't remember which one I have)
3. Whatever else I find in the bag...I have a bag...or maybe a couple of bags....sock blanks, some more BFL sock....

Other Fibery Endeavors
1. Stitch markers
2. Vintage patterns into Rav database
3. Inventory of books & loose patterns (update)
4. Inventory of PDF patterns (update)
5. Update yarn inventory (make sure it's up-to-date)/destash
6. Inventory project bags (Erin Lane, I'm looking at you)




My not-allergies decided to act up this week. I looked like Quasimodo from the Huntchback of Notre Dame for a day or two. Little Man said I didn't but he's also never seen it.


Both my eyes were trying to swell shut. ::sigh:: Not very flattering.

In addition to that, Stormageddon also got caught up in the need for medication to alleviate allergy-type problems. He got a bunch of bug bites in our yard earlier this week. I wound up giving him Benadryl because he was so itchy. He fell asleep in the stroller on the way home from picking up Little Man from school. When we arrived home, he got out of his stroller and....


He did not go to bed very well that night. I think it was after 10:30pm when I finally got him to settle down.


Outside Little Man's classroom are large "garden" areas and he and several of his friends go snail hunting in the mornings before school. This was just one of the snails he found this week.



Stormageddon and I went to Target this week. We had a few things to pick up and, like his brother before him, he likes to sit on the balls outside of Target (who doesn't?).




On Wednesday afternoons, we get doughnuts. Not every week but this past week, we needed a change of pace. Husband was out of town most of the week for a conference in Las Vegas. So, the boys and I were flying solo. We were fine but sometimes, we need to shake things up. Wednesday was a day we needed to shake things up.



We explored the wildlife, as well. The spider was found outside during swimming lessons. there were actually two of them, both in their impressive webs. Stormageddon would't let me pet him. ::sigh:: The little lizard/newt was by our cucumbers. We saw him a couple times this week. We think he lives in the cucumber plants, which is fine with us.



Little Man had no idea I was taking his picture. Hehe.

Our only other excitement happened on Friday afternoon. Husband was home from his trip and we were eating dinner. The boys were outside playing. All of a sudden, Little Man comes running, screaming, "Moooooooooommmmmmm! He's in the pool!" meaning Stormageddon...he had managed to climb into our pool without the use of our ladder (which we remove for a reason - to keep the kids from climbing in!). We think he climbed onto the filter and swung a leg up and over and did it that way. He's fine, I promise. I'm pretty sure he didn't let go of the side but he definitely went under. I grabbed him and pulled him out. Lots of cuddles and snuggles after that. As a result, our pool has been completely dismantled and our backyard looks a lot bigger. It was kind of a "three strikes" thing, though. The pool had a leak, which we were going to have to address. The ladder system was starting to show it's age and we were going to need to replace it, probably within the next year or so. And then Stormageddon climbed in. So, no more pool. We only used it once this summer anyway.

Other than that, we're just keeping on keeping on. It's all we can do around here.

Today is also Stormageddon's 4th birthday. He might want a cupcake later. I'm not going to hold my breath.

I hope you've had a lovely week & weekend :) If you're in the US, I hope you have a lovely holiday tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. FOUR!!!!! I remember when you were pregnant with him. So glad he survived the swimming pool shenanigans. How scary for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always my biggest fear about having the pool: that one of the kids was going to figure out how to climb in......and, of course, one did. ::sigh::

      Delete
  2. That little Wee Weaver Loom is so cute! Can't wait to see what you're making!

    So glad to read the happy ending to the pool happenings. What a scare! Happy birthday to Storm!

    Pssst. FWIW, I'd like to sit on those red balls at Target, but people would laugh. And laugh. And laugh. At which point it probably wouldn't be as much fun as I had hoped it would be. Oh to be young and free at heart. And limber... Yeah, it's probably that limber thing that hangs me up more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing special on the loom right now. Just some leftover sock yarn. I'm trying to see if I can do it properly or not. I'm hoping so but we'll see :)

      Delete
  3. Age of Brass and Steam is looking good!

    Sorry to hear about your allergic reaction, does the doctor have any idea what is causing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the allergist, I'm having non-histamine allergic reactions, which is really a fancy way of saying that I don't have actual allergies but many of my symptoms are similar and can be addressed in the same manner (allergy meds).

      Given that we've been under a Spare the Air alert for a few days, the wildfires north of here, and general crap in the air, I'm guessing it's something from that.

      Delete
  4. Oh boy, glad Storm is okay, that sneaky booger. Yay for Little Man's quickness and thinking. I love that wee loom you got. I may look for one in Feb. Oh boy did you swell up. Is that from airborne allergies or food or bug bites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allergist says I don't have actual allergies. I have reactions that are similar and can be addressed with the same medications but I don't have the histamine reaction. Sooooo, who knows. It's probably from all the crap in the air, though.

      Delete