Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Friday, December 21, 2018

FO Friday: An attempt to catch up....

I feel like this deserves a good laugh. It's Friday and I have an FO Friday post.....but the last one I had was in August, which means I'm like four months behind on FOs.....and one of them I can't exactly show yet (I'm hoping to publish it after I get the pattern written and such)....but it's FO Friday so here we go!


Paradiddle Prototype (link to Project Page)

Pattern: Tentatively I've called these the Paradiddle Socks, though I'm tempted to change the name to Diminutive Percussionist for reasons.
Time Frame: started 19 October 2017; finished 31 July 2018
Yarn: Colinette Jitterbug in Teals, a yarn which is sadly discontinued
Needles: Two US #1 (2.25 mm) long circulars
Size: To fit me, though other sizes will be available
Modification(s): None, it's my pattern.
Thoughts: The second sock went much faster than the first, mostly because I was busy keeping track of everything on the first sock so I could repeat it for the second sock....and then I ran out of yarn on the second sock. ::sigh:: I should have known better but, alas, I did not. I was lucky enough to find another skein, even the same dyelot, so I managed to finish the second sock without much hassle. Unfortunately, I cannot show you the socks like I want to because I'm going to write the pattern and either have it published or publish it somewhere...


FrankenSocks (link to Project Page)

Pattern: No specific pattern and I'm not going to write one for it.
Time Frame: started 1 March 2018; finished 2 August 2018
Yarn: Cascade Heritage in Italian Plum (purple), Creatively Dyed Sami in Dark (green) which is sadly discontinued, and Wollmeise Twin in Campari Piccolo (orange) - none were full skeins because the intention was to use up some scrap yarn...except I ran out of the Cascade Heritage and had to buy a full skein, which I then only used part of. ::sigh::
Needles: US #1 (2.25 mm)
Size: To fit me
Modification(s): There weren't really any modifications because there wasn't a pattern but I do know they're not as long as my usual "no pattern" socks. I tend to make them 25 rounds of ribbing and 72 rounds of the non-pattern.....these ones were 69 rounds...but that was mostly due to how the stripes worked out.
Thoughts: I will be honest: I still haven't finished weaving in the ends yet. The first sock has been done but not the second. I've started the second. I really should just sit and finish them. And maybe take a decent photograph... Outside of that, apparently I have issues with scrappy socks not matching. I had this idea that I was going to make scrappy socks because I have a bunch of leftover bits...and then I decided that my scrappy socks needed to match. I might make some true scrappy socks but these weren't quite it. Oh well.


Sockhead (link to Project Page)

Pattern: Sockhead Slouch Hat by Kelly McClure
Time Frame: started 11 September 2018; finished 2 November 2018
Yarn: A sock blank I dyed...I think the sock blank came from Dharma Trading Co, so it was probably 463 yds/blank, which didn't fully get used.
Needles: US #0 (2 mm) & US #2.5 (3 mm) circulars
Size: To fit me
Modification(s): I didn't make the ribbing section as long. The pattern calls for 4" so you can fold it over. I did 3" and don't need to fold it over but I can if I want to. In addition to that, the total length before the decreases was 12", which is less than the pattern called for but it worked with me. I also failed to read the pattern properly so I had two plain rounds between the decrease rounds.
Thoughts: This hat is great for mindless knitting. I did most of my knitting on this project while walking to/from Little Man's school, while at swimming lessons with the boys, while Stormageddon was in speech therapy, while listening to Podcasts.....yeah. It's fairly mindless. Unfortunately, I did drop a stitch and knit about 6" without realizing it....it's still a little tight but it works. Also, I must have done something right because a friend threatened to steal it......then asked if I'd make one. I told him he couldn't afford it (which is absolutely a lie - he could definitely afford it). So, I think that's a good sign?


Violet Waffles (links to Project Pages)

Pattern: Violet Waffles by Hallodora J
Time Frame: started 15 November 2018; finished 16 November 2018 (red one) AND started 16 November 2018; finished 28 November 2018 (green one)
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Encore DK (red) and Berroco Vintage DK (green)
Needles: US #4 (3.5 mm) and US #6 (4 mm) circulars and/or DPNs
Size: They both fit me but they were made for Stormageddon & Little Man
Modification(s): The red one was worked over 100 sts and there were some modifications at the crown decreases but I don't remember what I did. The green one was worked over 108 sts and there was a definite modification at the crown decreases because I wound up with 13 sts at the end, and I think I was supposed to but the pattern had something missing as far as what to do with the rogue odd stitch....but I made it work.
Thoughts: Both of my children have plenty of hats. Pleeeeeennnnnnnnty. But Stormageddon wanted me to make him a hat out of some red yarn we found at the nearest LYS in November. I wasn't in love with the yarn but for the kids, it works out well and he was so adamant that I knit him a hat out of that yarn (he doesn't ask me to knit for him ever). And then I had to go to Wisconsin and I managed to finish the hat in about a day. Oops. So, I was kind of out of low-key knitting so I dragged myself to the LYS back home (Sow's Ear, for the record) and picked up another skein of DK weight yarn in a different color for Little Man. The green one is slightly larger because Little Man is older. The pattern itself is fairly easy to memorize and easy to read. There was some confusion at the decreases but I changed things to a way that made more sense to me. But it's a great quick pattern.


Ella the Elephant (link to Project Page)

Pattern: Safari Duo - Ella the Elephant by Sachiyo Ishii
Time Frame: started 11 July 2018; finished 12 December 2018
Yarn: The yarn that came with the kit, which is King Cole Glitz Double Knitting according to the pattern page...
Needles: US #3 (3.25 mm) DPNs
Size: Whatever size it came out
Modification(s): I did the pattern as written (for once) except the eyes and the tail. I didn't make the French knots that the pattern used for the eyes. I also buckled and knit the tail in the round. It was the only part I worked in the round.
Thoughts: I thought for sure I was going to run out of yarn and I almost did. I actually contacted the company in the UK and had them ship more of the yarn to a friend in the UK, who then shipped it to me. They did not ship to the US, which is why I had to hop through some hoops. But I got it...and like three other kits....and I didn't run out of yarn. Aside from the yarn issue, this pattern is well-written and it does turn out a cute product. I wish that there was less seaming. Everything was knit flat and seamed...plus all those color changes. I wasn't a fan of how the front legs were attached. I felt like they didn't fold over as far as they were supposed to and kind of stuck out at an odd angle. The kit has them shown as more downward but I could not get mine to do that. So, they stick out funny. Oh well. It's for my 2 year old niece and I'm pretty sure she's going to love it regardless.


Random Hat (link to Project Page)

Pattern: None. It's just a basic hat, 2x2 ribbing over 100 sts. with 10 wedges for the decreases...nothing fancy.
Time Frame: started 28 November 2018; finished 19 December 2018
Yarn: Leftover Plymouth Encore (red) and Berroco Vintage DK (green)
Needles: US  #4 (3.5 mm) and US #6 (4 mm) circulars and/or DPNs
Size: It fits me, it fits the boys....
Modification(s): None. There wasn't a pattern to modify.
Thoughts: I had just enough yarn for this project. I am still debating whether I should make a pompom for the top using the bit of red I have left with the green (multi-colored pompom). I don't know why but I feel like this hat needs one, and I don't like them for various reasons, yet here we are. Honestly, I just wanted to use up the last bit of leftover yarn from the Violet Waffles hats and I think I accomplished that. I'm trying to not have a ton of partials left at the end of the day...trying. I have far too many as it is. So, anything to negate that will help.


Soooo, that catches me up to mid(ish)-December with my FOs. I think. The only thing missing is the Cup Cozy I made in my class with Julia Farwell-Clay at Vogue Knitting Live in San Francisco. I still haven't woven in the ends yet and I don't know that I really truly count that as a project, though I did garner a useable object in the end....but I haven't done anything with it. It's actually sitting with the FrankenSocks so maybe I'll get around to weaving in the ends. Maybe.

I hope you're having a lovely Friday :)

2 comments:

  1. Love the sock yarn for the paradiddle socks. Can't wait until you publish the pattern. I, too, use up skein ends by making hats and what I call leftover socks. With the price of yarn, I hate to just watch them languish. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete