Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Year the TENTH: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Much used, new shiny, lots wow! (Update #2)

 Happy Sunday! We are here for my second installment of my tenth year. Let's get going!



FOs (Finished Objects)

Nope. Nothing here yet. Not surprising!



WIPs (Works-in-Progress) *these are carried over year after year, as needed*
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
10. Greenwood Fiberworks Dark BFL (Viktor): started 28 June 2020
11. Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
12. Minecraft Socks: started 12 August 2020

I spent a good amount of time on the Minecraft Socks this week. I had just finished the heel flap & turn and needed to pick up stitches for the gusset. I've finished that and I'm just working down the foot at this point. I set a small goal to get through picking up the stitches and I achieved that, and then some. 

I also worked on a Granny Square. I didn't finish it but I worked maybe two rounds. It was a nice thing for TV watching. 

But, the big thing this week: I pulled out my Wink sweater. I worked three rows (which is around 275 sts each with cables on each end)....and then I had to stop and look at my directions for the next bit of information. I had to look at the directions at least six times before it started to make sense. It has the dreaded "at the same time" directions. I'm still not 100% sure I understand it so I'll probably have a look when I'm more awake. But I worked on it and it was delightful in that respect. 


OMGLSGWTFBBQ


Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)

 

Design Ideas:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband

2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man

3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon

4. Baby Blanket
5. Stomping Grounds Collection

 

Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1.
Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
2.
Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
3. Stranger Things Hat (worsted - Malabrigo Rios in Archangel)
4.
Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
5. Fine Tune (fingering weight - uses minis so maybe a rainbow type one with the Canon Hand Dyes?)*

6. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)

7. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
8. Undone (bulky - maybe the reclaimed yarn from the Freeport Vest?)
9. Socks (fingering weight - Bob knows I have enough so I should use it - maybe with the CSM)
10
Sockhead (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
11. Age of Brass & Steam (Handspun purple/white barber pole)
12. Radiate Shawl (fingering weight - Artfibers Carezza maybe?)
13. El Panal Cowl (Kit from Greenwood Fiberworks)


Children's Items
1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018) - I may change this to a different sweater using the same yarn
2. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
3. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
4. Boo-yah! for Stormageddon (Creatively Dyed leftover sock yarn in Dark)
5. Maybe a Flax for Little Man...maybe...

 

Utilitarian/Household Items
1. Garter Chevron Blanket (KP Mighty Stitch - may need to get some more black or white)
2. Diagonal Knit Dishcloths (cotton of some sort)
3. Reusable Produce Bag (cotton or acrylic of some sort - worsted)
4. Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth (cotton or maybe bamboo, depending on the use)


Spinning:
4. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
2. Skeins of sock yarn
3. Random worsted/sport skeins
4. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry) *in progress*
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry) *needs to be redone*
4. Stitch markers: kits and individual
5. Destash as necessary (it's always necessary)
 
 
 
This week was a bit busy. The boys started up with Distance Learning again, after our holiday break. Thankfully, Little Man was fairly self-sufficient because Stormageddon was just in a mood all week. They actually had Monday off and Tuesday is Stormageddon's rough day so for a "first day back," it was not a delightful start. We got through it and I think this week will be better. We also had a materials pickup day on Friday. It was okay. They weren't the only ones that had to get back into it. Husband is also back at work (from home). So, everyone is trying to get back into the swing of things. 

Little Man caught a salamander the other day. From what I've read, it's called a slender salamander, and rightfully so. It almost looks like a snake with little legs. It's actually rather cute.
 
 
 
Stormageddon and I finished up one of his Lego sets (Minions). He actually helped me and I have photographic proof! He and I worked on it in parts because he's six and often has the attention span of a goldfish. 



 
 
Right now, I apologize for everything being centered. I was working on the post and I could not get Blogger to load properly. So. Sooooo. I'm just rolling with it. I may or may not fix it if it becomes fixable. We'll see. 
 
Anyway, this week I also had my birthday. I turned 41 years old, which means that when I started my Self-Imposed Year of Projects, I was 31 years old. It seems like yesterday and yet, I also know it's been ten years. 
 
So, because it was my birthday, I happy birthdayed myself. I bought a new shirt from Erin.Lane featuring Larry, the foul-mouthed Sheeple in a pile of yarn and it just says, "balls" on the bottom. I also ordered some greeting cards but those haven't arrived yet. And then, because I was up late on Amazon, I ordered a new book, which arrived on Friday. And then......there's this:

 
 
 
This......this is my new inkle loom. Well, new to me. I've been looking into it for at least two years, but I could never justify the cost when I wasn't sure if I would like it. In the grand scheme of things, an inkle loom isn't that expensive...but it was enough to make me constantly reconsider. But once in awhile, I will look on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, just to see what treasures I can find. And I found this. It doesn't have any sort of "makers mark" on it and is quite possibly handmade. An Ashford Inklette (which is a smaller version) runs about $65 while the full-size is about $110 (Schacht runs about $100)......I picked this up for $14. Yes, that is FOURTEEN dollars. And the drive down to Menlo Park, which took all of 45 minutes, round trip. I could justify that. It has about 8-10" of "completed" weaving on it, which will all be coming off at some point.



Little Man made me this for my birthday, as well. He's such a sweetheart. I think I'm going to keep him. 
 
I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend! Maybe I'll have a completed sweater next week (hahahaha!).
 


5 comments:

  1. Save those homemade cards. They are good evidence when they become teenagers that actually loved you at one point in their life!!

    I hope things settle down into a routine for your family. I suspect that helps everyone. It's funny to me how many people are getting into weaving!! Both in this group of bloggers and my local knitting friends. So far I have resisted but we will see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday. I'm happy you treated yourself. I have never seen a loom like that before; how interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a bargain you have found there, lots of ladies in my Guild make the most beautiful belts, bag straps and guitar straps with their Inkle looms. It would probably cost more than $14 to hire one. Belated birthday wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to you! That Inkle Loom is a great find - apart from the cost of materials alone and the time and effort to put it together which are surely more than $14, it looks really sturdy, you’ll have a great time with it.
    Hang in there with the home schooling, though I realise that it is easier said than done...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!! Congrats on the great deal - 14 dollars!!! Awesome. That salamander is very cute and certainly slender.

    ReplyDelete