Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Monday, February 20, 2012

Missed it Monday: Swaps and an FO...

It's Monday and I have something to share that just didn't fit in anywhere else. Well...a couple somethings, really.

One of the groups I belong to on Ravelry is solely dedicated to Doctor Who swaps (yes, I'm a total geek, get over it). We did our second Doctor Who swap and I received my package on Friday from KniftyKnittingMom in Fresno, CA.

It had lovely things and I'm going to show them to you :)


When I opened up the box, this is what it looked like (yes, the envelope was even upside down - I thought I'd be completely realistic rather than turn it around).


Upon taking out the envelope and the half of a bubble envelope, I found this:


Little Man couldn't resist getting into the box with me. I didn't want him to break anything (if there was something breakable) so I had to keep deterring him. He was not pleased.

The first thing I pulled out was a curiously wrapped red.....something (turned out to be chocolate). It was red, obviously, with a little label that read "Bow Ties are cool!" If you're not familiar with the newest seasons of Doctor Who, the Doctor (played by Matt Smith) wears a red bow tie...and adamantly claims that bow ties are cool.


I discovered that there were several of these scattered throughout the package.

The next thing I pulled out was a bar of emergency chocolate. Now, perhaps I'm a bit misguided but I think all emergencies require chocolate...


The next item I pulled out from the box was a little notions case (from Nancy's KnitKnacks, if I'm not mistaken). It is, of course, Tardis blue :)


A large bar of European chocolate followed...I'm surprised I haven't scarfed this down yet.


Sock yarn? Yes, please. Zitron Trekking XXL was the brand of sock yarn I used to make my first ever pair of socks (that are way too large in the cuff but otherwise are lovely - I wear them around the house a lot). I know this yarn is grand so I was excited to have it in my stash :)


Something breakable. See? I was right to not let Little Man help pull everything out. He probably would have broken this. I'm not sure if it's microwave or dishwasher safe though I suspect that it is...I'll have to ask. Of course, it has a Tardis :)


I'll admit that when I first pulled these out, I was a little confused because I couldn't determine what they were. Silly me. How could I not recognize stitch markers?


Hand lotion. I always always always have dry, cracking hands all winter long. I'm just that way. So, I spend most of the winter slathering my entire body in lotion (not just my hands). So, this will be used...


I found a couple of tea bags, some hot chocolate mix, and some hot apple cider mix. I took two photos because I couldn't get it all in one photo properly while I was unwrapping everything. So, two photos.


See, I could not shake Little Man. He was very interested in this. He wanted to take this away from me....but I wasn't crazy about having Tardis blue nail polish all over the living room. So, I kept this one pretty well hidden.


And my handmade gift: a Tardis blue cowl...with buttons! I'm not sure how to wear a cowl without looking silly so I'm going to have to get some help in that department, preferably from someone that has some fashion sense (as I have little). Seriously, I took a self-portrait of me wearing this and I look a little silly...I just don't think I'm wearing it correctly. No, I'm not going to show you.


So....that was my swap package. I still can't show you what I sent out because, well, I didn't exactly photograph it...I did photograph my handmade project and I can get a photograph of the yarn but I didn't actually photograph the box. Silly me.

Anyway, Little Man approved of the package.



And now for something completely different...

On Saturday, I started work on my Snail Hat (pattern by Elizabeth Zimmermann). I picked a bulky green yarn I had in my stash (Sprout by Classic Elite Yarns) and started working on this project. It went quickly and by the time I quit working on it on Saturday, I was almost halfway finished. Dear Bob do I love bulky yarns...


There it is. My little "work station" on the bed. I had my book, my yarn, and my project bag. I was using some little sheep stitch markers that I received in a swap awhile back. I wasn't sure they'd fit on US #10 needles but they did.

Anyway, I finished said hat last night...



It does do a spiral toward the top. I'm not exactly sure I did the top correctly per the pattern but it works so I'm just going to go with it. I was hoping it would come out child-sized but it didn't. It fits me...oh well. I suppose if I go down to a worsted weight that it would become child-sized. I'll have to make another one.

Anyway, specifics...

Pattern: Snail by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Needles: US #10 Addi Turbo 16" circulars & US #10 ChaiGoo Bamboo DPNs
Yarn: Sprout by Classic Elite Yarns in Galapagos Green - these come in 109 yards/skein and I had quite a bit of leftover (I'm thinking I have around 1/3 skein left so around 30 yards)
Size: Well, it fits me...that wasn't the intention but that's how it turned out...
Modifications: I started out by CO and immediately joining in the round followed by 1x1 ribbing for 3 rows (the pattern has you work five rows in garter stitch before doing the increase and then joining); the top may not be done how the pattern specifies but the directions were a little wonky for the top so I'm not surprised that it may not match...whatever, it worked.

So, that's what's been going on around here...

I hope you're all having a lovely Monday. Perhaps there will be something new on Wednesday. Or not. And maybe I'll be able to show you something else on Friday...maybe. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a lovely package! And I love the hat, though it is very bright! I'm sure it'll suit you.

    In answer to your question, trampolining as a sport works a bit like gymnastics (though of course I would deny it's anything like it!) It's not all that common, though it is in the Olympics, and I'm president of my university club. There are a lot of universities that have trampolining clubs, though it's not a sport that's very common outside that setting. If you get a chance to watch it at the Olympics on tv, I would recommend it, as it's visually incredible impressive. Sorry for the essay!

    ReplyDelete