It's Friday and that means it's FO Friday.......but I don't have anything to show you (except, perhaps, photos of Little Man but I think I'm caught up on those, too).
So, what am I here to talk about?
This is my one and only skein of Shelter by Brooklyn Tweed. I won it last May at the last Knitters' Guild meeting of the year. I was highly stoked about this because I knew I had a couple patterns in my queue for which this would be perfect.
So, fast forward to January when I'm making out my first Self-Imposed Year of Projects post...I had several hats listed. I knew one of them would be for this yarn. By the time I got to my third week of my Self-Imposed Year of Projects update, I had decided that I was going to make Habitat with this yarn. It was rather fitting as Habitat was designed by Jared Flood, founder of Brooklyn Tweed...and the hat was made using one skein of Shelter.
Anyway, I knew where the yarn was located and I knew I'd get around to it eventually.
"Eventually" turned out to be this past Wednesday. I went to wind the yarn, having just had it out a week prior...and it was gone! Seriously! I had just had that yarn in my hands not even a week prior to that. I suspected that either Husband or I had moved it when he took a sitting stool out of my wreck of an office round about St. Patrick's Day. It was "holding" two skeins of Shalimar Breathless for Sweet Girl's Hippo that I had wound. I was going to wind the Shelter that same day but I think Little Man woke up from his nap before I got around to it. So.....the yarn was placed with the other two on the stool. Husband took the stool out of the office or some strange reason. Said yarns were placed in a nearby box (also filled with yarn). When I was cleaning in my office later that week, I moved the two skeins of Shalimar into the bedroom with Itty-Bitty Toys.....and I put the Shelter somewhere else.
Turns out I wasn't as dumb as I thought I was...I put the yarn back where my stash page said it was located. I found it in there yesterday when I looked in the bag on a total whim.
Since then, it has been wound on my Nostepinne...which I'm not sure if I like or not. I definitely like the proper cake my mechanical ball winder makes but there's a certain........something about using the Nostepinne to wind my yarn. For one thing, it didn't get as stretched out as it does when I put it on the ball winder (but I'm usually pretty careful to not stretch my yarn too much anyway)......but I think I'm going to have to knit with said yarn on the Nostepinne, just so the cake doesn't completely fall apart in my hands.
But, back to the pattern...my skein of Shelter's colorway was "Nest" and resembles the color of a birds' nest (duh). This is rather perfect because it's a good neutral color. Anyway, I was perusing the pattern today (before I printed it) and it turns out that the example shown was done in the same colorway. So, the good news is that I should have enough to finish this hat (the pattern calls for 120 yards and a skein of Shelter is 140 yards)...the bad news is that I don't know if I have the needles.
If it's not one thing, it's another.........so, now I'm off to find out if I have the required US #7 and US #8 16" circulars...I have the required US #8 DPNs.
In the meantime, I think I'm making either an addition or a change to my Self-Imposed Year of Projects list (I haven't decided which way I want to go yet) but I'll talk about that on Sunday :)