Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

WIP Wednesday and other things :)

The last few days have been a whirlwind around here. With the news of Husband getting the job at Symantec comes apartment and house hunting, online mostly. We need to find an apartment that will allow for short leases (6 months or less) and a very excitable Puppy...and kids. We need to find a house that does not have an obnoxious Home Owners' Association, for one thing. After dealing with a condo association for the last decade, we just don't want to deal with it again...you know, someone telling us what kind of grass we have to have or that we have to have a birch tree in our front yard and can only have fully wooded fences in the backyard or that we always have to have our dog on a leash of some sort, even in a fully wooded fenced-in backyard....we just don't want to deal with it.

In addition to that, I've been doing some sorting and some minor packing. The first thing on my list was taking a quick go-through of my yarn stash. The reason for this was two-fold (though at the time I actually did it, it was only one-fold - we hadn't heard about the job yet): this past Monday, the Madison Knitters' Guild had it's stash sale where we, the lovely members, bring in things from our own stash to sell to others, and we're moving to California so I cannot take everything along with me, even if I want to. I sold about half of what I brought with me, which I thought was pretty good. I only filled one rubbermaid bin...it was over-flowing but I couldn't handle two bins. I do, however, have some items left that need good homes. It's not like it's "bad" yarn or anything, either. So, if you feel the need to have some of my yarn, send me a PM on Ravelry and we can work something out. I did, however, bring some yarn back into the house. I bought a skein of Yarn Pirate from a friend, and one lady brought in a metric ton of laceweight cashmere and laceweight silk and laceweight acrylic/synthetic of some sort that her husband bought in China.......I don't even like laceweight yarn but the price was way too good to pass up. No, I'm not going to tell you how much I paid for my 12+ oz of laceweight cashmere but, seriously, it was way too good of a price to pass up. And you never know, I might have to knit a shawl.... I also bought a book from the lady at the table next to me. It was a book I had looked at and had considered buying awhile ago...and I saw it, looked again, and bought it for half-off the cover price. Hooooray! Oh, and then on top of everything else, I won a skein of yarn (again). Last year, I won that skein of Shelter that I used to make my Habitat Hat. This year, I won a skein of some laceweight mohair...I don't have it in front of me so I can't even think of the yarn company. But, it's a lovely slightly variegated blue-green...but it's laceweight...and it's mohair...and it's only something like 250 yards. What the hell am I going to do with 250 yards of laceweight mohair?! Anyone have any ideas (keeping in mind that we're moving from Wisconsin to coastal California)?

Sorry, I totally got off track with all that.

Anyway, moving along. Little Man had his 18 month appointment on Monday afternoon. The doctor says he's pretty much perfect and that the things that I feel he may be lacking are things that he doesn't necessarily need to know at this age (like holding a spoon and talking a blue streak). He's perfectly normal. And then he had his shots. Five immunizations in three shots. He took them like a champ (he always has). I always feel bad about him having his shots because, well, they're shots and they hurt. He didn't do too well afterwards though. It wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't had diaper rash going into his shots. But, he had diaper rash...and then he had his shots...and then he's had around twenty bouts of diarrhea. Needless to say, his little bum is quite red, raw, scaly, and sore. Poor kiddo. He's feeling a bit better today (he's acting normal, even if his bum isn't).

Like I said, it's been nuts around here.......and that's kind of left my knitting in the dust this week.

My official Works-In-Progress list stands thus (from my Self-Imposed Year of Projects):
1. Little Man's Giraffe: started May 11, 2011
2. Icarus Shawl: Started March 15, 2010
3. Honey Badger Don't Give a Shit Socks: started January 23, 2012
4. Pine Forest Baby Blanket: started February 21, 2012
5. Hermione's Everyday Socks: started March 6, 2012
6. Sweet Girl's Hippo: started May 10, 2012


Little Man's Giraffe should probably be in full hibernation but he isn't yet. He keeps peeking at me out of his bag, almost pleading to be worked on and finished. My Icarus Shawl is in the same bag and although it's hibernating, I'm not getting the "come work on me right now" feeling...except for Monday night (but I didn't work on it). I'm still in denial about my Honey Badger socks. I don't want them to not fit so I'm scared to try them on. Perhaps today. We'll see. The Pine Forest Baby Baby blanket is still going and I should have it finished well before I need to send it off to Maryland. I figure as long as I do about three repeats each week, it should be fine. Hermione's Everyday Socks are coming along. I'm almost finished with the Double Gusset Heel of the first sock (and kept copious notes on my project page so I can repeat it for the second sock). So far, so good on these....we'll see. Sweet Girl's Hippo has made some slow progress. It's fairly mindless knitting except when the yarn gets twisted around itself. Because I'm holding two strands together and they're coming from the same cake, they tend to get really twisted. Oh well.

I'm still fighting off the urge to start another project........

That's pretty much all I have right now. For more WIP Wednesday fuss, visit Tami's Blog.

3 comments:

  1. Wowee...so much to do! Glad Little Man is doing wonderfully in his development. Ouchie w/that diaper rash; my second always had that issue and I was super vigilant about changing her diaper often and slatherin' on that Desitin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I think in SF your dog must be on a leash when walking it outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Movin' to the Bay Pro tip #1: It's really hard to find a place to rent with a dog. When you're applying for places, try to pick places that are privately owned, and rented by the owner rather than an agency. It's often that you can talk your way into a rental with a well-behaved dog and hefty deposit, but not if they're using a property management company.

    Good luck with the packing!!

    ReplyDelete