Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Y2: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Update #18

Happy Sunday! Time for my 18th installment of my second Self-Imposed Year of Projects! Let's get started :)

Finished Objects (FOs)
1. San Francisco Fog Fingerless Mitts: started January 2, 2013; finished January 10, 2013
2. Don't Blink: started January 16, 2013; finished January 16, 2013  (links to one I made last year using the same yarn)
3. Dalek Dishcloth: started January 16, 2013; finished January 21, 2013 (links to one I made last year using the same yarn)
4. Woven Rib Dishcloth: started February 8, 2013; finished February 11, 2013
5. Icarus Shawl: started March 15, 2010; finished February 14, 2013
6. Little Granite Dishcloth: started February 16, 2013; finished March 2, 2013

7. Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth: started March 4, 2013; finished March 27, 2013
8. Garter Stripe Baby Socks : started March 3, 2013; finished April 4, 2013
 
I'm not going to add it to my FO list but I did finish a dishcloth. It's probably going to be a baby shower present for someone...or maybe we'll just use it...or maybe for someone for Christmas...who knows.
 
Works-in-Progress (WIPs)
1. Mama's Vanilla Socks (round 2): started June 29, 2012
2. Eat Your Monkey Socks: started November 29, 2012
3.
Freeport Vest: started March 7, 2013
 
I've finished the gusset decreases on my Vanilla Socks and am now working to the toes. I've still got a bit to go before I get to that point but at least I don't have to pay attention to decreases while I watch TV or Little Man. Here's hoping to more of that :) I've also worked on my Freeport Vest a little bit...haven't touched my Monkey Socks though. Oh well.

But, as usual, my mind is wandering toward my next project.......projects......?


Children's Items 
1. "Little 16" Newborn Socks
2. Baby Surprise Jacket
3. Toddler Socks
4. Alvin Sweater
5. A New Sock Monkey
6. Stig
7. Greyson (need to purchase)
 
Items for Me (Selfish Knitting FTW!)
1. Rose's Wrist Warmers
2. Viking Bag
3. Campfire Socks
4. Red Dwarf Socks
5. Zombie ViXen Fingerless Mitts
6. Ardys

Household Items
1. Halloween Creepy Cloths (1) (need to purchase)
2. Halloween Creepy Cloths (2) (need to purchase)
3. Assorted Harry Potter Cloths
4. Assorted Doctor Who Cloths
5. Grrlfriend Market Bag
6. Petal Dishcloth

Designs (which may or may not be sooper seekrit - obviously the sooper seekrit ones aren't listed)
1. Little Man's Baby Blanket
2. Susan's Hat (4 versions)
3. Assorted dishcloths (set of 12?)
4. Traveling Vines Scarf
5. Traveling Vines Socks (baby for sure, maybe adult-sized as well)
6. Pinwheel Market Bag
7. Anything else that comes along (I have a notebook or two or seventeen somewhere with potential designs)
 
I may have been inspired to try another baby item...quite possibly the Baby Surprise Jacket. See, I went to knitting night at the LYS (Nine Rubies, for the record) and they had a group of people that were all working on the same project. It was a little baby sweater (not the BSJ) and I kept thinking that it was time to do another baby sweater and I've been thinking about the BSJ for quite awhile. We'll see what happens. Also, I'm participating in a(nother) Doctor Who Swap so there will be a Sooper Seekrit project for the swap at some point. But I want to start something new...and I want to stash dive to do it!
 
 
 
And what's with this sudden urge to dive into my stash for a project?! Let me tell you all about it. I was inspired by Unf&ck Your Habitat...lots of people in the world that want to make their lives better by cleaning their domiciles and keeping them that way. So, what does this have to do with my stash? Well......my stash has gotten out of hand and the other day, Little Man was napping and I pulled out a bag from the closet that held yarn. I started separating it into things I was keeping and things I didn't want to keep. Well, one thing led to another and after a couple hours, I had pulled out every bin and bag from my yarn closet (yes, I have a yarn closet, don't judge!)...I went through my entire stash and wound up with two and a half bins of yarn I am willing to part with. I touched almost every skein, hank, and ball of yarn I own that afternoon. I found things and I suddenly had plans for them, I found other things and thought, "What the hell was I thinking when I bought this?," still other things that made me go, "hmmmmmm..." and plenty of things I kept. I even organized said closet. I have a tower of bins that is all fiber (except for one bin that has yarn). I have another tower that is all yarn that I'm keeping (except for a half bin that I'm planning to sell). The third tower isn't as tall but it has two bins of yarn I'm planning to sell...and a bin of yarn, and another one with things like my project bags, containers with stitch markers, bobbins for my wheel, and a couple cakes of yarn that I have out either because they're for a project I'm currently doing or one of my designs...or just because. Because I went through my stash, I found things that inspired me, for whatever reason, and I think I'm going to spend more time stash diving for projects. I really do love my stash. I should use it. I'm still working on getting everything sorted out on my "Will Trade/Sell" page (loading photos, deciding prices, etc.) but I have a good start...

Aside from cleaning out my yarn closet, there hasn't been a lot happening around here. My car started freaking out the other day (telling me that lights weren't working). Luckily, Husband is somewhat car savvy and checked out the fuses. Turns out that a penny escaped from the coin holder, got into one fuse box behind it, causing a fuse in the other fuse box to blow. It was a $4 fix and a little bit of time. If I had taken it in and had the dealership do it, they would have probably replaced the entire fuse box and Bob only knows how expensive that would have been. That was exciting. 

We also spent a lot of time in the back room with the curtains pulled, the little window AC turned on, and the movie screen down. It's been unusually warm here this past week....not the kind of weather you want to be working on a sweater in. The heat finally broke last night. I might be able to handle working on my vest...

Anyway, I hope you're all having a lovely week. I hope to maybe finish *something*.......but let's not hold our breath :)

7 comments:

  1. You're coming along nicely. Must have missed your petal dishcloth before, I really like that and had to print off a copy so I could give it go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleaning out the yarn closet sounds great. I don't have a whole closet but just setting up a new little cupboard for my "immediate stash" had the same effect on me a few weeks ago - I rediscovered several skeins that I really want to use soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you....ready to start something new or maybe more! I still don't have enough "stash" but I'm getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that is a crazy list, I love that you've managed to finish so many projects - have a knitty Monday xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a yarn closet too. It's in the wool room. No judgement here :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So productive you are! How awesome to attend knit night. I've been to Nine Rubies once and they're very nice there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still pondering your 2nd time cotton. If you don't sell it let me know if you'd like to trade it for anything. ;)

    ReplyDelete