Today, I bring you.....
|Icarus Shawl (link to Project Page)|
Pattern: Icarus Shawl by Miriam L. Felton
Time Frame: started March 15, 2010; finished February 14, 2013
Yarn: Briar Rose Wistful in a blue/yellow/green concoction
Needles: US #6 (4 mm)
Size: Um....see modifications...
Modifications: I made a few modifications to this pattern, per other Ravelry users. I did the first "section" of the first chart as written. I did the second "section" of the first chart with modifications (did that section twice instead of five times). The third "section" of the first chart, the second chart, and the third chart were all done as written. I also slightly modified the edging. It wasn't charted out so I had to figure out where the section repeats were and follow what my knitting told me as I didn't have the given number of repeats as I had modified previous charts. It wasn't a big deal and it was fine in the end.
Thoughts: I honestly don't know why it took me almost three years to make this shawl. The pattern isn't overly difficult, just time consuming. I also had it on time out for quite awhile (there's one small mistake I made and no matter what I did, I couldn't fix it). That may be part of it. I think if I had made it full sized (to the pattern specifications), it would have wound up absolutely HUGE. As it is right now, it's the perfect size. I haven't actually measured but it's a pretty good estimate that it's approximately 70" wide and from the bottom tip to the neckline is probably 35"-40" (the tip hits just above my butt crack, if you want a visual). Blocking was also interesting as I don't have blocking wires. So, I had to block it using T-pins and it was on the guest bed...which was just wide enough to accommodate it.
|Closer view of the edging|
So, there you have it. A lovely (late) FO.......my longest-running WIP ever!
For more FOs, visit Tami :)