Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Friday, September 27, 2013

Yarn Review #9: Tahki Yarns Cotton Classic

As of this posting, I'm caught up on my Yarn Reviews for the year...just in time to work on the remaining three for the year. ::sigh:: I always feel like I'm falling behind. Perhaps I took on too much for this year. Or not. 

Whatever, it's time for my NINTH Yarn Review. 

The intention is that once a month, roughly about mid-month (depending on the day - Year of Projects are on Sundays, WIP Wednesdays are on Wednesdays, and FO Fridays are on Fridays so rarely will you see a Yarn Review on those days), I'll do a yarn review, which may or may not include multiple types of the same yarn or multiple different yarns on the same day. The yarns in question, unless specified, are coming from my stash, purchased by me, for me, and for my use. I've been given no money or other non-monetary gifts for these yarn reviews. The reviews are of my opinion and based on my own experience and do not necessarily coincide with other fiber enthusiasts, though they may.

Tahki Yarns: Cotton Classic

1. Information about The Company: Tahki Stacy Charles is a two-person company. Well, it's co-owned by two people: Diane Friedman and Stacy Charles. Diane Friedman founded Tahki Yarns in 1968 after a trip to Ireland. Eventually, she was led to Greece where she discovered the joys of mercerized cotton and, thus, Cotton Classic was born. There are several lines in the Tahki grouping. Stacy Charles, on the other hand, grew up in the yarn industry, working for his aunt and uncle over the years. In 1999, the two decided to merge their companies and in January 2000, Tahki Stacy Charles was born. Today, they offer yarns under Filatura Di Crosa, Tahki Yarns, S. Charles Collezione, TSCArtyarns, and Loop-d-Loop by Teva Durham. They call Glendale, New York their home and their website can be found here.

2. Other Yarns Offered: Including, but not limited to: Donegal Tweed, Kismet, Lily, Tara Tweed, Bunny (disc.), Designer Homespun Tweed (disc.), Aria, and Cotton Classic Lite. And those are all just in the Tahki Yarns line.

3. Information about The Yarn (specific to this yarn): 
     - Official Name: Tahki Yarns Cotton Classic
     - Fiber Content: 100% mercerized cotton
     - Skein Weight/Yardage: 50 g (1.76 oz)/108 yds (99 m)
     - Gauge: 20 sts = 4" on US #5-#7 (3.75-4.5mm)
     - Yarn Weight: DK
     - Washing Instructions: Machine or hand wash, dry flat
     - Where to Purchase: I've seen this in many yarn shops over the years but you can find it online via Webs ($6.50/skein), Yarn Market ($6.35/skein), and Jimmy Beans ($6.50/skein).

4. Review (The Reason you're here):
     - PROS
          1. Machine Washable. This is always a plus for me.
          2. Fabulous stitch definition. It's nice for cables or lacework...but more on that in a minute...
          3. Huge variety of colors. I think there's something like 125 different colors to choose from.
          4. Inexpensive. You get 100+ yards for $6.50. That's a pretty good deal.
          5. Durable. It's cotton so it should be.
          6. Drapey. If you're going for some drape, you will get it with this yarn. 
          7. Doesn't pill when you wash it. It's mercerized cotton so it shouldn't pill and I haven't had any come out of the machine all pilled up...so, I'd venture to say that it doesn't pill.
 
     - CONS
          1. Splitty. This yarn has a tendency to split while working with it. It's obnoxious but not to the point that I'll stop working with this yarn.
          2. Heavy. Cotton is, by nature, a heavy material to work with. But, it wicks moisture away which is why you see so many "summer" projects knit with it...and it doesn't hold heat well. It's cotton. It's just that way.
          3. Doesn't hold it's shape very well. It's cotton; it's going to stretch out of shape. So, while the stitch definition is fabulous, it's going to stretch out and get wonky. Depending on the size of the item in question, sometimes it will snap back into shape with a trip through the dryer (yes, I know you're "supposed" to lay flat to dry - it's fine to go through the dryer but it will come out all wonky and out of shape)...but if we're talking about a lacy, openwork shawl, not a chance in hell. You'll have to block it properly to get it the way you want it...and it will stretch out over time and there's not squat you can do about it. ::sigh:: Cotton.


Anyway, here are some things I have with the Cotton Classic...or just photos of my Cotton Classic :)



The pink is currently becoming a dishcloth...the white is somewhere in my stash. I also made a Tardis Dishcloth out of some blue I had but I never photographed it and it's had some discoloration (bleach, I think)...so, nothing fancy there. 

However, there are over 10,000 projects made with Cotton Classic listed on Ravelry :) Check those out!

1 comment:

  1. I don't believe I've ever tried this brand of yarn. I think mercerized cotton is great for crochet.

    ReplyDelete