So, what do I have for you today?
|Five Hour Baby Sweater (link to Project Page)|
Time Frame: started January 16, 2014; finished January 29, 2014
Yarn: 95.5 yds of Patons Pure Organic in 20206 (blue green purple) & 120.9 yds of Lion Brand Cotton Ease in Snow
Needles: US #9 (5.5 mm) long circular of some sort...I know it's an Addi circular but I don't know the length offhand.
Size: The only available size is 0-3 months but...
Modifications: I made several little modifications to this pattern. The original pattern is one color and I made mine with stripes (switching after row 9 and then after every 8th row). There were no directions for buttonholes in the pattern and, as such, I did not do them. That's not really a modification but more of a note to anyone that wants to make this one. I added length to the body for extra length and to keep the stripes consistent (I went to 24 rows in stockinette before switching to garter). The seaming of the sleeves was done after I finished the everything else. It wasn't specified in the pattern but I did all the bind offs as purl bind offs. Also, the needles recommended are US #10.5 (6.5 mm) and I went smaller.
Thoughts: I haven't actually measured this sweater but it looks a tad bigger than the 0-3 month size. So, I'm guessing it's either 3-6 months or even 6-9 months. Also, I'm glad I didn't go with the recommended needle size. I think the stitches would be too loose and that's not good for little baby fingers. If I were to make it again (and I could), I would sit with the pattern and figure out where the buttons would need to go and plan accordingly. There are a few things I would also consider doing differently, including doing the sleeves in the round to avoid seaming. I dislike seaming immensely and I think I could do the sleeves in the round and only have some minimal stitching to do at the end. It's a cute pattern and is pretty well-written so it would be perfect for a beginner. It also churns out a cute little baby sweater. It can also be a great stashbuster project as it doesn't take up much yarn at all (seriously, I used maybe 225 yds of worsted weight yarn - and that was with added length).
Anyway, that's all I have for you today. Perhaps I'll have my Baby Surprise Jacket finished next week (all I have left to do is the dreaded seaming and buttons). I'll link up with Tami as soon as I can (if you haven't noticed, she's been....well, inconsistent the last few weeks, really).