Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Friday, August 22, 2014

FO Friday: A Sacrifice for the Gods and more?

Happy Friday :)

As promised last Sunday, I have a lovely FO for this FO Friday!

Sacrificial Goat (link to Project Page)

Project: Goat by Sarah Gasson (link to designer page)

Time Frame: started July 27, 2014; finished August 16, 2014

Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton Ease in Snow (that's the white), and I think the brown is Tahki Yarns Sky...I can't find the label but I seem to remember that one in my stash at some point.

Needles: US #5 (3.75 mm) vintage straights that belonged to my grandmother (they're rather bendy)

Size: The size it came out. It sits about 6" from butt to the top of the horns

Modifications: The original pattern calls for DK weight and US #3 (3.25 mm) needles and I used worsted and US #5 needles. I left out the eyelash yarn, as well...mostly because I'm trying to stashbust and didn't want to buy novelty yarn that I would otherwise not use. Otherwise, I did this one as written. There were some things that were slightly confusing and I kind of just had to make it work, though I did ask the designer a couple questions. I also did the tail a little differently (because no eyelash yarn)...but it worked so I'm just going to go with it.

Thoughts: I have at least five more of these to make (the second one is already in progress, close to being finished if not already finished by this point) for Husband. I've already converted the body and legs to be done either mostly or entirely in the round. Everything else will be as written. I may also add pipe cleaners to the horns to get them to bend correctly but the jury is still out on that. It's a very cute pattern, very quick to make, and it uses up scraps. I'm also considering a couple of her other patterns...but we'll see how the goats go. Little Man has already requested one of his own...and one for baby Stormageddon. We shall see.

Here's another photo (a bit darker), from the night I finished him :)







But wait! There's more! Apparently I'm on a finishing kick again because I finished up something else this past week :)

Swirl Hat (link to Project Page)

Pattern: Swirl Hat by Mandie Harrington (link to designer page)

Time Frame: started August 5, 2014; finished August 20, 2014

Yarn: Zitron Trekking XXL in Mint Oreo - approximately 87 yds; leftover from my Oreo Socks

Needles: US #3 (3.25 mm) Signature DPNs

Size: Newborn (though sizes range from premie through adult)

Modifications: None

Thoughts: This was a great little stashbuster project for sock yarn. I haven't weighed the remaining ball of yarn but I may have enough for another one...perhaps the premie size, though. Seriously, it took up less than 1/5 of a skein of sock yarn for the newborn size. The only thing I had some difficulty with was the K3tog on the crown decreases but that's entirely my own issue and not a problem with the pattern. The other nice thing about this was that the stitch pattern was easy to memorize so once I had it in my head, I didn't need to look at the pattern until I was ready to start the crown decreasing. Am I going to make it again? Perhaps. I have plenty of sock yarn scraps in my stash that I could probably make several of these. I'm still debating on the gender neutrality of this pattern...it leans a little too "girly" but I expect Stormageddon will still wear this hat because, well, Mama made it :)

Anyway.......that's all I have for you this week. I'll be back on Sunday with my Year of Projects Update :) Hope you've had fun!

7 comments:

  1. What a fun beanie. I like how the colorway makes this little swoops. What will they do to this goat? Burn it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're just going to somehow affix them to 2x4s to hang in their cubicles. I don't think they're actually going to be sacrificed...and if they are, I may strangle Husband :)

      Delete
  2. He is gorgeous, I just can't stop thinking about his fate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're just going to hang in cubicles. If they're actually sacrificed, I'm not going to be very happy :)

      Delete
  3. I crocheted a goat for a wedding...she was placing different farm animals on the tables..I had problems with the neck, but it turned out cute....and yes it would not be good if they are actually sacrificed......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh cute goat, he turned out really well and the swirl hat is gorgeous. I'm rather glad the cute goat won't actually be sacrificed.

    ReplyDelete