Here at Chez My House, I have FOUR (yes, FOUR) FOs to share. Now, to be fair, two are roughly the same pattern, one I've made before, and one is handspun and one still needs a good washing/blocking........but, four FOs happened and rather than let them all sit and hang out, I'm going to get them posted and such :)
Fiber: 100% Corriedale
From: Frene Creek Farm (their website is defunct, she hasn't updated her Etsy shop since 2011, and Facebook posts are sparse...but she's located in Janesville, WI and appears to still be in the fiber industry)
Time Frame: started October 12, 2016 (second single started November 1, 2016); finished spinning January 6, 2017; 2-plied on January 16, 2017
This & That: random spinning, little bit over the fold, little bit pre-drafted.....I made yarn and that's what counts. I didn't follow the color scheme other than just spinning whatever happened. I didn't card anything. I just spun from what I was given.
Yarn Information: light worsted weight (might be a DK weight depending on final skein weight), approximately 278 yds, a little under 4 oz (I think - I should check that...it would help me determine whether it's worsted or DK or...).
Thoughts: I've spun Corriedale before. I had quite a saga. The first mention of the Asshole Corriedale is here...well, the first mention of calling it Asshole Corriedale. I wrote about it earlier than that; you can find it here. With that said, this is not the same Corriedale. Not even a little bit. I often lamented that I hated spinning Corriedale because it was such a pain in the ass......much like I once lamented that I disliked making a specific pattern (because I couldn't get past row 9 without screwing up - it was the Irish Hiking Scarf, if you're interested). Turns out in both cases, that the materials I used were the real issue. I was using metal needles, which caused the project to slip and slide too much...switch to bamboo needles and no problems. This Corriedale fiber was lovely to spin and while I did have a few issues (probably because it had been in storage for so long), it was significantly easier than the aforementioned Asshole Corriedale.
Pattern: Trusty Hat by Danielle Morgan
Time Frame: started December 22, 2016; finished February 24, 2017
Yarn: Hand Dyed Superwash Merino DK by Kangaroo Dyer in the Goldilocks colorway (less than 1 skein)
Needles: US #4 (3.5 mm) 16" (40 cm) circulars and US #7 (4.5 mm) 16" (40 cm) circulars and US #7 (4.5 mm) DPNs
Size: Adult Large +
Modification(s): To adjust for the yarn weight (pattern calls for worsted, I used DK), I added another stitch repeat but my row gauge didn't change much so I didn't need to add any pattern repeats. I also changed needle size because my yarn weight changed. Other than that, I don't think I strayed from the pattern.
Thoughts: It's fiddly with the cables but I would make this hat again and again. It turns out a lovely project. Little Man is already threatening to steal this one as well. ::sigh::
Pattern: loosely based on the Pussy Hat Project and other similar patterns
Time Frame: started February 13, 2017; finished February 27, 2017
Yarn: Knit Picks Mighty Stitch, 52 g (just over 100 yds) in Cotton Candy
Needles: US #5 (3.75 mm) 16" (40 cm) circular & US #8 (5 mm) 16" (40 cm) circular and DPNs.
Size: Uh....adult male? I CO 92 sts and went with it.
Modification(s): Since I'm only using the basic shape, there aren't really any modifications because there's not really a pattern.
Thoughts: I'm making seven of these, all about the same size with some changes here and there. There's not much to say about it.
Pattern: Again, loosely based on the Pussy Hat Project
Time Frame: started March 2, 2017; finished March 8, 2017
Yarn: Knit Picks Mighty Stitch (haven't weighed it yet but it's probably also around 52 g)
Needles: (same as above)
Size: Adult male....I CO 84 sts and went from there.
Modification(s): (see above)
Thoughts: (see above)
The first Pussy Hat has been washed and blocked; the second one has not. I also wound up having to weave in extra ends on the second hat because of some yarn snafus that involved a bit that had been broken apart from the rest of the skein and having to start a new skein. Oh well.
I hope you're having a lovely Friday :)