Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Year SIX: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Update #15

Happy Sunday :)

Yesterday, I had a Stash Enhancement post, if you're interested. Otherwise, let's get moving...


Finished Objects (FOs):

1. Pussy Hat: started January 10, 2017; finished January 16, 2017
2. Hermione's Everyday Socks (v2): started November 14, 2016; finished January 28, 2017
3. Frene Creek Farm Corriedale (spinning): started October 12, 2016; finished January 16, 2017
4. Pikachu Hat: started February 3, 2017; finished February 10, 2017
5. Trusty (v2): started December 22, 2016; finished February 24, 2017
6. Pussy Hat: started February 13, 2017; finished February 27, 2017
7. Pussy Hat: started March 2, 2017; finished March 8, 2017
8. Pussy Hat: started March 9, 2017; finished March 21, 2017
9. Pussy Hat: started March 21, 2017; finished March 30, 2017
10. FlockSock Yarn #1: started April 5, 2017; finished April 5, 2017
11. FlockSock Yarn #2: started April 5, 2017; finished April 5, 2017

Hmmm....what are those? I didn't spin any commercial yarn. I don't know that I could. However, I did do some yarn dyeing this week and the last two entries are my dyeing projects. I think sometime this week, maybe Tuesday, I'll have my first post about my adventures in yarn dyeing. For now, if you want to see the end result, click on the linky and you can see my pretties. I'll get around to an actual separate post sometime.



Works-in-Progress (WIPs):

1. Wink: started January 5, 2015
2. Oh, She IS a Bad Nut: started August 11, 2016
3. Fall in San Francisco (prototype 3): started October 4, 2016
4. Smooth Operator Socks: started October 13, 2016
5. Stormageddon's Vest: started October 17, 2016
6. Morvarch Aardvark: started January 1, 2017
7. Messed Up Moss: started January 4, 2017
8. Stomping Grounds collection: started February 26, 2017 (no project page)
9. Hat Design: started March 20, 2017
10. BMFA Handpainted Roving: started March 23, 2017
11. Vanilla Socks: started March 30, 2017
12. #initiateknitdesign challenge from ArohaKnits: started April 3, 2017

I've worked on three things this week: yarn dyeing (noted above), the Vanilla Sock, and the #initiateknitdesign challenge. That's it. The design challenge is taking a lot out of me, actually; more than I thought it would. It's taking place over 10 days with five challenges. So, you get a challenge and have two days to complete it (or at least get a good start on it), you post your progress on Instagram with the hashtag, in the Facebook group, or in the Ravelry group. The idea is that you'll have a pattern ready at the end...maybe. She suggests starting with something simple: a scarf, a square/rectangle wrap, or a cowl because they usually don't require shaping elements and while some people are going that route, I've got a hat pattern. I know others have everything from triangular shawls to fingerless mitts to socks and I think I even saw a sweater in there. With that said, after three challenges, I'm going to have to rethink a few things. I have some...well, they look good on paper but when you get around to actually doing it, it looks like a hot mess. We'll see how things go.

I have a HFO, though. I finished the first of the Vanilla Socks.


Yes, I was trying to get caught up on podcasts. The one I was watching: The Yarn Hoarder Podcast (ep. 6). I'm very behind. She's got 12 episodes, plus a few bonus episodes. So....woefully behind. I haven't started the second sock, either. I'll get around to it.

That's about it for WIPs, really. I'm kind of boring this week. Oh well.



17 UFOs in 2017

1. Wink: started January 5, 2015
2. Oh, She IS a Bad Nut: started August 11, 2016
3. Fall in San Francisco (prototype 3): started October 4, 2016
4. Frene Creek Farm Corriedale (spinning): started October 12, 2016; finished January 16, 2017 **DONE**
5. Smooth Operator Socks: started October 13, 2016
6. Stormageddon's Vest: started October 17, 2016
7. Hermione's Everyday Socks (v2): started November 14, 2016; finished January 28, 2017 **DONE**
8. Trusty (v2): started December 22, 2016 **DONE**
9. Design: Susan's Hat
10. Design: Little Man's Baby Blanket
11. Design: Paradiddle Socks (aka Little Drummer Girl)
12. Design: Pacific Waves Hat
13. Design: Fall in San Francisco Hat
14. Stash Inventory (photos, in Rav database) **DONE**
15. Dystopian Novel
16. Doctor Who blanket (1)
17. Doctor Who blanket (2)

Moving along....nothing to see here.


And in my "OMGLSGWTFBBQ" lists...

Secret Sock Club Bags - Pick a bag at random; do pattern with yarn
1. Scotch & Soda Scarf (using Briar Rose Fibers Wistful, leftover from my Icarus Shawl)
2. Jabberwonky (using KP Felici in Abracadabra)
3. If You Know Where To Go (using KP Felici in Green Veggies)
4. Baby Surprise Jacket (using....htNEVELE something something)

These are the only ones that are currently set up. I have plans to make a few more but we'll see how things go. With all the WIPs and such I have going, this may not be a good idea at this point. Or maybe I'll pull things from the lists below and put them into bags. I don't know.


Stranded Knitting
1. University of Wisconsin Ski Hat (kit)
2. University of Wisconsin Christmas Stocking (kit)
3. University of Wisconsin Button Beanie (kit)
4. Xanadu Snowflake Cowl
5. Unknown Christmas Stocking for Little Man (see also: Designs)
6. Unknown Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon (see also: Designs)
7. Unknown Christmas Stocking for Husband (see also: Designs)


Children's Items:
1. Stuffed toy for Miss C (SIL's foster child)
2. Stuffed toy for Mr. K (SIL's foster child)
3. Stuffed toy for Miss E (SIL's adopted daughter)
4. Stuffed toy for TAZ (brother's daughter)
5. Undetermined hat for Little Man
6. Undetermined hat for Stormageddon
7. Mittens for Little Man
8. Mittens for Stormageddon


Items for ME (selfish knitting FTW!):
1. Park Slope (fingering, specifically Mountain Colors Crazy Foot)
2. Worsted weight house socks (worsted, of course - maybe something like Lumberjack)
3. Classic Silk Mayfaire Camisole (Miss Babs Northumbria with modifications)
4. Evangeline (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
5. Lichen (Aran or Sport/DK; solid or semi-solid)
6. Moyen Age (fingering; one of my Vice Yarns? Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20?)
7. Ginny's Cardigan (DK; solid or semi-solid)
8. Drip Drip Drop (sock; solid or semi-solid)
9. Celtic Myths (worsted; solid)
10. Jag in Garter Stitch (DK; 2 colors)
11. Cobh (fingering; 2 colors)
12. Offhand Lace (bulky; solid or semi-solid)
13. Whitman (DK; any color)
14. Flax (worsted; any color - Misti Alpaca Harry Potter-esque one?)
15. Hoar Frost (Wollmeise that's wound in the bag)


Christmas/Charity Bin:
1. 198 Yds of Heaven (worsted; solid)
2. Comfort Food (Aran; solid)
3. Tombreck (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
4. Premie Spiral Hat (DK; any color)
5. Pumpkins & a Pattern (any weight, any color - gauge doesn't matter)


Designs:
1. Susan's Hat *started* - need new prototype & write pattern
2. Little Man's Baby Blanket *started* - write pattern
3. Paradiddle Socks - need prototype & write pattern
4. Pacific Waves Hat *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
5. Fall in San Francisco *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
6. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
7. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater) - need sketch, grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
8. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
9. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
10. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
11. Stomping Grounds collection (everything: charts, prototypes, swatches, etc.) *started*


Spinning:
1. Miss Babs BFL
2. Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk (1)
3. Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk (2)
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt
5. Wash & start processing Alpaca fleece from Lambtown
6. Wash & start processing Merino fleece from Lambtown


Other:
1. Stitch markers
2. Make sure my vintage patterns are in Ravelry (Workbasket magazines, leaflets, etc.)



I'll be honest: this week was definitely better than last week. Spring Break didn't go quite as planned, we didn't do anything we had loosely planned to do, but it was okay. We spent a lot of time at home, doing nothing of real value (iPads, Nintendo, etc.), the boys played outside here and there, and that was about it. Really. That was about it. 




Thursday I wasn't feeling the greatest but Little Man needed to go to swimming lessons so I sucked it up. It was also the day of selfies.


Stormageddon likes to take his clothes off and put clothes on. I've caught him trying to put on Husband's socks more than once, he stole my HFO sock from above and wore it around the house for a bit before I caught him, and then there's this. He is inside Husband's swimming trunks. He got all tangled up in there, was wearing it like a cocoon. Booger.


That same night, Little Man gave him my old Koosh ball to play with. He rubbed it on his face in the same manner he rubs yarn on his face. Little Man also didn't want me to take his photo, as evidenced by the stealth one below.


I caught him mid-sentence. Otherwise, he would run and move so I couldn't get a clear shot of him. I deleted probably 10 blurry ones once he figured out what I was doing. ::sigh::


He didn't notice this one, though. He decided to cuddle with Puppy the other night. I have no idea what they're looking at but it must be something good. 


I finally broke into my Australian Tim-Tams. Back during Stitches West, I had a friend here from Australia and she brought two packages of Tim-Tams that were new flavors. This one is the Black Forest Cherry and they are yummy. I'm kind of glad Little Man didn't like them but shhhhh!

Also, all week it was nice outside and then Thursday night happened:


The blue dot in the middle is where we live, about halfway between San Francisco and San Jose. But, don't let this alarm you. When you see red on a weather map where we're from, it means squall lines, severe lightening, high winds, lots of rain, probably tornadoes......here, it just means some heavy bouts of rain and some wind. Nothing too serious, really. But, given that people freak out while driving in the rain, that part could be pretty bad. This was during swimming lessons and I don't take the highway home anyway so it was more tolerable. 

Little Man goes back to school tomorrow. I hope to get back to my gym routine. And I want to dye all the yarn! I should be back with a post about my yarn dyeing adventures. We'll see how that all goes. I hope you're having a good day. I'm a little late today. I was too tired to finish this post last night so, I finished it this morning :) I hope you're having a lovely weekend :) 

7 comments:

  1. Now I am breathless. You have more energy than anyone else I know. You get so much done each week. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed with your dyeing. I want to do some of that this week. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After the last few weeks you've had, I think some downtime over March break was probably for the best. Sorry to hear you were under the weather Thursday - I had hoped you had one week with everyone hale and healthy!

    I had a quick peak at your hand-dyed yarns and they are gorgeous! That green one is particularly stunning. I bet it'll knit up beautifully! Looking forward to see more of your dyeing adventures! And maybe the boys can handpaint a couple of skeins too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad that the storm wasn't too bad! That map looks super scary. And hooray for yarn dying adventures! I'm taking a one day workshop at the beginning of May, and I'm excited to try it- I've never done it before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dyeing AND designing! Wow! You are really forging ahead. I'm sure you all needed a rest after all you've been through lately...hospital for hubby and illness for the rest of you. Love your socks and can't wait to see what you dye up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to reading and seeing pictures of your yarn dying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go on taking on that challenge. I swear, sometimes, nonknitters think it's so easy to design but it's not. You have an idea but when you try it out or think it further, there are definitely potholes to clear. This is why I've been slow to design. I was going to start one but then I'm like crap, it won't come across the way I'd like to and the way I'd like is way more complicated than I thought.
    Thanks for the tips on orjanizing as my husband calls it. Perhaps this spring break I'll start? Says no procrastinator ever! LOL.

    ReplyDelete