Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Tour de Fleece Injury Leads to.......DYEING ALL THE THINGS!

Happy Tuesday!

We're still in the midst of TdF and Stash Dash and all that. And I could talk about that but I'm not going to. Instead, we're going to talk about what I did about two weeks ago, right at the beginning of TdF, in the midst of an injury that put me off my wheel for a few days.

Yeah, I dyed some things....

These were all dyed on July 3, 2017 on our back deck, in the sun :)

I had a little bit of leftover red and yellow dye from my last dyeing project and while I didn't think about putting in the yellow at first, I'm kind of glad I did. I speckled the red about the yarn, turned it over, and then I eyed the small bottle of yellow leftovers and just soaked an end of my unwound hank. I'm not much of a red or yellow person but I'm rather happy with the results.

This one didn't go quite as planned. I had intended it to be closer to a 50/50 division but the black had other ideas. This was also leftover dye from my last dyeing project. Even though it didn't go as planned, I'm pleased with the results. I might try this again with different colors, just for shiggles.

Both the red/yellow and the black/white were on the Malabrigo Sock bases I bought a few weeks ago.

These two were dyed together, in the same container, at the same time. They are not perfect matches because that's not how dyeing in this manner works but they have the same tonal qualities. The good news is that I exhausted this leftover purple dye.....meaning I used up the purple dye from my last project by soaking it all up in the yarn. I also used the rest of the red & yellow dyes above but not in this manner. When I pulled these out of the container, the water was clear.

I soaked these blues like I did the purples. This was the only color I made on dyeing day; everything else was done using leftover dye. And what's with the white spots? Well, obviously I didn't make a dark yarn and it exhausted quickly, leaving some white/extremely light blue spots toward the top of the container.

The last four (purples & blues) were done on the Sanguine Gryphon Traveller base (which is the same as the Cephalopod Yarns and Verdant Gryphon Traveller base), which is a DK weight. However, these were cone ends so they're not the full 280 yds. I also matched them based on weight. Two were labeled 3.1 oz and the other two were labeled 3.4 oz. Again, I'm not displeased with the unexpected results.

So, there's my dyeing adventures :) Oh, and if you missed the "injury" in my Year of Projects...I got a shin splint (yes, just one) that prevented me from spinning on my double-treadle wheel properly. ::sigh::

1 comment:

  1. Hi Renne Anne :) I love your dyeing projects. I do love the black and white yarn, it almost looks like a nice navy. Sorry about your shin splint...I've had those. I used to get them by walking a lot in really bad shoes. They are so painful, I hope you recover soon!