Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Year SIX: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Update #33

Happy Sunday! Let's get going on today's Year of Projects update :)


Finished Objects (FOs):
1. Pussy Hat: started January 10, 2017; finished January 16, 2017
2. Hermione's Everyday Socks (v2): started November 14, 2016; finished January 28, 2017
3. Frene Creek Farm Corriedale (spinning): started October 12, 2016; finished January 16, 2017
4. Pikachu Hat: started February 3, 2017; finished February 10, 2017
5. Trusty (v2): started December 22, 2016; finished February 24, 2017
6. Pussy Hat: started February 13, 2017; finished February 27, 2017
7. Pussy Hat: started March 2, 2017; finished March 8, 2017
8. Pussy Hat: started March 9, 2017; finished March 21, 2017
9. Pussy Hat: started March 21, 2017; finished March 30, 2017
10. FlockSock Yarn #1: started April 5, 2017; finished April 5, 2017
11. FlockSock Yarn #2: started April 5, 2017; finished April 5, 2017
12. #initiateknitdesign challenge from ArohaKnits: started April 3, 2017; finished April 11, 2017
13. Knit Picks Bare Palette Fingering: started April 9, 2017; finished April 9, 2017
14. Malabrigo Rios: started April 9, 2017; finished April 9, 2017
15. Nashua Creative Focus Superwash: started April 9, 2017; finished April 9, 2017
16. Pussy Hat: started April 13, 2017; finished April 30, 2017
17. Pussy Hat: started April 30, 2017; finished May 13, 2017
18. Messed Up Moss: started January 4, 2017; finished May 17, 2017
19. Pussy Hat: started May 19. 2017; finished May 23, 2017
20. Pussy Hat: started May 24, 2017; finished May 26, 2017
21. Baby Pussy Hat: started May 26, 2017; finished May 26, 2017
22. Pussy Hat: started May 26, 2017; finished May 26, 2017
23. Bugga Bare (2 matching): started June 3, 2017; finished June 4, 2017
24. Bugga Bare: started June 3, 2017; finished June 4, 2017
25. Bugga Bare: started June 3, 2017; finished June 4, 2017
26. Malabrigo Twist: started June 3, 2017; finished June 4, 2017
27. Malabrigo Twist: started June 3, 2017; finished June 4, 2017
23. Vanilla Socks: started March 30, 2017; finished June 8, 2017
24. Stormageddon's Vest: started October 17 2016; finished June 9, 2017
25. BMFA Handpainted Roving: started March 23, 2017; finished June 23, 2017
26: Malabrigo Sock: started July 3, 2017; finished July 4, 2017
27. Malabrigo Sock: started July 3, 2017; finished July 4, 2017
28. Sanguine Gryphon Traveller: started July 3, 2017; finished July 4, 2017
29. Sanguine Gryphon Traveller: started July 3, 2017; finished July 4, 2017
30. Bonbon for Miss C: started June 24, 2017; finished July 6, 2017
31. Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk Roving: started July 1, 2017; finished July 7, 2017
32. Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk Roving: started July 2, 2017; finished July 10, 2017
33. Miss Babs BFL: started July 11, 2017; finished July 21, 2017

Admittedly, I have finished some things...specifically, I dyed some things. But since there were never entries in Ravelry, I have no project pages and, honestly, I haven't even photographed them yet. I really should, though, because one of them is a sock blank and I'm itching to start knitting on it and, really, I'm worried that I'm going to start without having photographed it....perhaps a project for later this week.

Also, I finished my new needle box. I finished the painting a couple weeks ago and it was varnished (which gave me a nasty headache and that was strange because it was a liquid paint, not an aerosol). And then it sat and dried and continued to sit. But it's done and now the needles are in it and that's grand and lovely.


Works-in-Progress (WIPs):
1. Wink: started January 5, 2015
2. Oh, She IS a Bad Nut: started August 11, 2016
3. Fall in San Francisco (prototype 3): started October 4, 2016
4. Smooth Operator Socks: started October 13, 2016
5. Morvarch Aardvark: started January 1, 2017
6. Stomping Grounds collection: started February 26, 2017 (no project page)
7. Hat Design: started March 20, 2017
8. Vanillaish Rainbow Socks: started June 1, 2017
9. Twilight Socks (from blanks): started June 8, 2017
10. Garter Stitch Baby Blanket: started July 6, 2017
11. Veggie Socks: started July 6, 2017

So, knitting this week......I did some!

My Veggie Socks are continuing down to the toe decrease section. I probably only have 10 rounds before that point but I'm just not quite there yet.

The Garter Stitch Baby Blanket is continuing to grow. I'm almost through the first ball of yarn. I hope it turns out baby blanket sized but we'll see how things are progressing after I get through my second ball of yarn. I might have to tout it as a doll blanket. ::sigh:: But, it's growing and I'm getting yarn out of my stash and that's important.

The Vanillaish Rainbow Socks are...well, I've knit a few rounds on the cuff of the second one. Not much in the way of progress but a few rounds still equate to a small amount of progress, right?

While I was doing some cleaning this week (to make room for the new needle box), I found a big fat envelope that had my Fall in San Francisco design proposal inside....which means a huge purple swatch that was knit flat (which was difficult for me to brain at the time), and an orange baby hat (a full prototype).......so, that was an interesting find. I might get back around to actually designing it and writing the pattern and sending it off to my tech editor (or a tech editor if mine doesn't have time).....yeah. The good news is that I found it. The bad news is that it's no closer to being finished. ::sigh::

And lastly, Wink saw some action this week. I even fixed the mistake I found a few weeks ago, the last time I worked on it. It's a slow-going process because I'm working from a 10-row chart repeat and an 8-row increase repeat at the same time...so I have post-its and notes galore for this one. If I'm not interrupted, I'm fine...but if I have distractions, it doesn't work too well. So, late night knitting for the win....I think.


Moving along.....

17 UFOs in 2017
1. Wink: started January 5, 2015
2. Oh, She IS a Bad Nut: started August 11, 2016
3. Fall in San Francisco (prototype 3): started October 4, 2016
4. Frene Creek Farm Corriedale (spinning): started October 12, 2016; finished January 16, 2017 **DONE**
5. Smooth Operator Socks: started October 13, 2016
6. Stormageddon's Vest: started October 17, 2016 **DONE**
7. Hermione's Everyday Socks (v2): started November 14, 2016; finished January 28, 2017 **DONE**
8. Trusty (v2): started December 22, 2016 **DONE**
9. Design: Susan's Hat
10. Design: Little Man's Baby Blanket
11. Design: Paradiddle Socks (aka Little Drummer Girl)
12. Design: Pacific Waves Hat
13. Design: Fall in San Francisco Hat
14. Stash Inventory (photos, in Rav database) **DONE**
15. Dystopian Novel
16. Doctor Who blanket (1)
17. Doctor Who blanket (2)


And my "OMGLSGWTFBBQ" Lists


Children's Items:
1. Stuffed toy for Mr. K (SIL's foster child)
2. Stuffed toy for Miss E (SIL's adopted daughter)
3. Stuffed toy for TAZ (brother's daughter)
4. Undetermined hat for Little Man
5. Undetermined hat for Stormageddon
6. Mittens for Little Man
7. Mittens for Stormageddon


Items for ME (selfish knitting FTW!):
1. Park Slope (fingering, specifically Mountain Colors Crazy Foot)
2. Worsted weight house socks (worsted, of course - maybe something like Lumberjack)
3. Classic Silk Mayfaire Camisole (Miss Babs Northumbria with modifications)
4. Evangeline (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
5. Lichen (Aran or Sport/DK; solid or semi-solid)
6. Moyen Age (fingering; one of my Vice Yarns? Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20?)
7. Ginny's Cardigan (DK; solid or semi-solid)
8. Drip Drip Drop (sock; solid or semi-solid)
9. Celtic Myths (worsted; solid)
10. Jag in Garter Stitch (DK; 2 colors)
11. Cobh (fingering; 2 colors)
12. Offhand Lace (bulky; solid or semi-solid)
13. Whitman (DK; any color)
14. Flax (worsted; any color - Misti Alpaca Harry Potter-esque one?)
15. Hoar Frost (Wollmeise that's wound in the bag)


Christmas/Charity Bin:
1. 198 Yds of Heaven (worsted; solid)
2. Comfort Food (Aran; solid)
3. Tombreck (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
4. Premie Spiral Hat (DK; any color)
5. Pumpkins & a Pattern (any weight, any color - gauge doesn't matter)


Designs:
1. Susan's Hat *started* - need new prototype & write pattern
2. Little Man's Baby Blanket *started* - write pattern
3. Paradiddle Socks - need prototype & write pattern
4. Pacific Waves Hat *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
5. Fall in San Francisco *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
6. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
7. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater) - need sketch, grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
8. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
9. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
10. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
11. Stomping Grounds collection (everything: charts, prototypes, swatches, etc.) *started*


Spinning:
1. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt
2. Wash & start processing Alpaca fleece from Lambtown
3. Wash & start processing Merino fleece from Lambtown

Other:
1. Stitch markers
2. Make sure my vintage patterns are in Ravelry (Workbasket magazines, leaflets, etc.)




This past week has been bonkers in our house. It started out last Sunday evening. I had previously mentioned that Stormageddon was running phantom fevers with a snotty nose. It came to a head last Sunday when he woke up from a nap and had a fever of over 106ºF......which I swore had to be wrong so I checked it on myself and it was normal, checked it on Little Man and it was normal, rechecked it on Stormageddon and it was still that high. So, I picked him up and took him into the pediatric urgent care. I thought for sure that the thermometer had to be wrong or malfunctioning...but they also recorded a fever of over 105ºF, and various other high temperatures using various placements and types of thermometers (under the arm, under the other arm, across the forehead, a different one across the forehead....). All of them were high.


He had calmed down considerably by this point but he was still running a nasty fever. No other symptoms. His ears looked fine. His throat was a little red but not overly concerning. They ran a strep test to be safe, which came back negative. So, we have no idea what was causing the fevers...possibly molars coming in but we're not sure because he wouldn't let either the doctor or me get a good look or feel in his mouth. So, we had nothing to go on and it was basically a "wait and see" approach, knowing he had his post-op appointment with his ENT on Wednesday. 

Monday was spent around the house because Stormageddon still wasn't feeling too well. I worked on a bunch of stuff for the auction, the boys played and watched TV and played some more. Kind of a boring day but what are you going to do? As it turns out, Stormageddon was still into randomly falling asleep in the bed next to me.


You can see how red his face is from the fever. Poor baby boy :(

On Tuesday, I was supposed to have jury duty at 8:30am. I checked in on Monday night and I had a "call back" status, meaning I had to recheck at 11:15am on Tuesday but didn't have to report. When I rechecked, I was informed that I was not needed. So, Husband had a work-from-home day because I was supposed to maybe be gone. Oh well. At least Stormageddon was feeling a little better by then.



.....however, it didn't stop him from randomly napping next to me in the bed.

His ENT appointment on Wednesday was fine. His ears looked good, his throat was fine, he didn't even really have a shotty nose. 






Thursday, we took Husband and our friend Thom to the airport. They're in Wisconsin for Beerfest The Great Taste of the Midwest. It was yesterday but they flew in on Thursday and they're supposed to fly back tomorrow night. Except they're not (more on that in a bit). So, we took them to the airport, went out for breakfast, and then went over to one of the parks for a playdate with friends. 

The playdate would have been all fine and well but Little Man tested some physical limits and we wound up having to go to the doctor. There's a climbing structure that weaves around like a snake with some rope netting between two very large, round poles and when you get to the end, you either have to turn around and come back or jump down. For a 10-12 year old kid, the jump wouldn't have been so bad....but Little Man isn't even 7 years old, though he's bigger than many 8 year olds I know. The first time he did it, he was fine. He landed perfectly. To be fair, it was maybe a 6' drop with a good pile of wood chips under to cushion the jump. I could grab onto the bar while standing under it. When he did it the second time, he did it from a different spot, which was higher up (probably a 7' drop because I couldn't reach the bar he was on)...and underneath was a sizable, rounded out divot in the wood chips........and he landed squarely on his butt. He basically gave his entire back a shock from his coccyx to the top of his head. The wind was knocked out of him from the pain and the hard landing. He hopped up immediately, screaming and holding his back and butt and waddled over to me where he wound up laying on his back for maybe 20 minutes before I could get him into an extremely painful sitting position (he was crying because it hurt to sit up). Luckily, we had friends with us to help me keep an eye on Stormageddon and to help us get everyone/thing to the car to go to the doctor. I took him from the park to the doctor's office. He didn't break anything but he knocked himself completely out of whack. So, the rest of Thursday was a lazy day involving iPads, movies, and general laziness. He also missed swimming lessons...again. 


And, of course, Stormageddon fell asleep in the bed next to me for a late afternoon nap....with his headphones on. 



And then that night, he climbed into bed with me to sleep, too. It's much easier to share a bed with him while Husband is gone because he just sleeps in Husband's spot. 

On Friday, this happened:






Mah hairs changed color. It's been about three months and it's grown about 2" so my roots were bad....and now I'm different. There's purple underneath and it goes from a dark blue to aqua to the green and the underside goes from a dark purple toward a magentaish color. 

When I got home, the boys and I ran errands and Little Man had one of his four make-up swimming lessons. Between the not-broken arm and his back, he had four lessons to make up for. So, he had one on Friday afternoon and one yesterday. He has the other two this week (Wednesday and Friday; his normal lesson is also on Thursday). 

Little Man has been playing with his Legos quite a bit more lately.....which is probably due, in part, to us putting a severe cap on the amount of time the boys play on the iPads. They turn into little zombies who want everything and don't listen. Husband and I were both sick of it so we put a cap on the amount of time....and suddenly, Little Man is more creative with his Legos :) 


Apparently that's Bowser (as in King Koopa from Super Mario Bros.).




And, to end the week: a boy and his dog.



I hope you've all had a lovely weekend. I might be back sometime this week with dyeing adventures but I haven't decided yet....

5 comments:

  1. Oh my those little guys sure keep you on your toes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that every thing worked out okay. Super high fevers are soo scary but kids just bounce back. Love the hair! My daughter dyes her's an right now you guys are about the same shade of green! Mermaid hair she says, I say it's awesome go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an eventful week for all and I'm glad both boys are better and back to themselves. I'm surprised you got any knitting done in that week, it's been quite the adventure and I love the hair! It is by far the best green I've seen! Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exactly the reason you have children when you're young! They are exhausting and you have to have the energy and stamina that comes with being young as compared to me (old), I had 4 and I remember those days....crazy and then one day you wake up and they're all gone and the house is quiet and you wonder if it really all happened....and then they call and you realize it did and they talk on the phone telling you how their kids are 'exhausting'! LOL! So glad they are both okay and you too! My grands are big lego builders too....very creative activity! Have a nice quiet, uneventful week...for a change! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a week! Is everyone okay now? I'd love to be able to see the underside of your hair - Those colors all together sound really interesting. I confess, I was a bit relieved as I continued to scroll through the hair pictures that you didn't get a lizard mohawk. :)

    ReplyDelete