Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Purloined: Holiday Knitting Q&A

Happy Wednesday!

Normally, I reserve Wednesdays for a possible WIP Wednesday post (but, honestly, how often do I do that?!)....but today, I'm purloining from Nothing But Knit (again). Last weekend, she posted a Holiday Knitting Q&A and I'm stealing it for my own :)


So, today's questions:

1. Have you ever made holiday decorations for your home? What have you made? Do you have a tradition of making something every year?

2. Did you craft for the holidays when you were a child? Do you have a memory of something you made?

3. Do you gift items that you make? Do you surprise the recipient or do they request something? How do you judge their worthiness? Have you ever regretted gifting to someone?

4. Have you seen a crafty project you'd like to make but haven't?



And my answers.......

1. Have I ever made holiday decorations for my home? Not as such...I mean, I've made things and they have been used around the house (dishcloths mostly) but I've not specifically made holiday decorations for the house. So I don't have traditions of making something every year because I've not specifically made anything. I keep thinking I should start though...

2. Did I craft for the holidays when I was a child and do I have a memory of something I've made? I can "remember" that things were made in daycare and elementary school, some of which have survived four moves (including our cross-country one to California). I don't know that I remember making anything specific but when I see something I made as a child, I can tell you about when it was made, what my age was/grade I was in, whether it was made at school or daycare, etc.

3. Do I gift items that I make? Do I surprise the recipient or do they request something? How do I judge their worthiness? Have I ever regretted gifting to someone? I do make things for other people at the holidays, mostly for children. Both Little Man and Stormageddon have received toys that I've made. Little Man got his giraffe the for our Christmas in California (right after he turned 2 years old - he's now 8 years old). Stormageddon got his bunny for Christmas in 2015 (just after he turned a year old). In addition to that, all the nieces and nephews have received toys. Husband's two nieces that live in the DC area have toys (one has a hippo - she picked the pattern when she was about 4 years old; the other has an elephant, which I picked for her). Husband's two nieces and nephew that live in Wisconsin all got their toys last year: the older niece got a bunny, the younger niece got an elephant, and the nephew got a whale. This year, my niece is getting an elephant. Apparently I like elephants. Aside from that, my best friend back home has gotten a couple of things...a hat, mittens, and fingerless mitts set. Her two kids each received a hat and mittens that year. Children are worthy, regardless. They're children. As far as regret......I don't know if regret is the right word. I don't regret giving anyone anything but I wish it had been used or used by the actual recipient. I made a shawl for someone years ago and she never got a chance to even wear it. Her daughter and niece commandeered it and used it for so many things....it's actually falling apart from the use. I love that it was used and loved but I wish she had been the one to use and love it, if that makes any sense. With all that said, there are some people that I will not knit for, for whatever reason, even if they ask me politely.

4. Have I seen a crafty project that I'd like to make but haven't? Of course. I have plans in my head to knit a stocking each for Little Man, Stormageddon, and Husband...and maybe myself. Have I actually done it? No. Have I even started searching out yarns? No. But I have plans, of course. I've also seen an advent garland with socks or mittens that I'd like to make. I would have to make two, of course...because two children. Maybe next fall, when I have both children in school (different schools but I'll have more time because I won't be running the auction...). I'm sure there are other things I've seen but those are the ones coming to mind right now.




Soooooo, how about you? Leave me a comment, write your own post and link in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment