Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Year NINE: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Happy Easter (Update #15)

Happy Easter Sunday! We aren't the religious types so Easter doesn't mean anything, really, except hunting for eggs in our yard, which we did not do today. It's fine. Let's get going!



FOs (Finished Objects):
1. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018; finished 29 January 2020
2. Tiny Turtle: started 7 November 2019; finished 30 January 2020
3. Mirkwood: started 9 February 2020; finished 17 February 2020
4. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018; frogged 9 April 2020

I frogged my Campfire Sock this past week. I think the pattern is fine but I would convert it into a regular sock yarn pattern. I like how the stitch pattern looked and all that but I've just not had good luck with DK weight socks. 

This photo is a couple of weeks old but you get the idea. 





It now looks like this:





I had an awful time frogging the yarn. The little floof bits kept getting caught and tangling the yarn. I got through most of the heel flap when I had to break the yarn to keep moving forward...and then only a few rounds before I had to break it again. So, the big part was the working yarn. The small ball was from where I broke it the second time to the end. The little teeny fluff ball is the small section where it broke the first time and where I broke it the second time. 

So, there's that. ::sigh::



WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year if needed):
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018
8. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
9. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
10. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): started 16 January 2019
11. Prototype Something Something Raindrops: started 11 April 2019
12. Sockhead: started 8 January 2020
13. Baby Yoda: started 14 March 2020

In actual knitting progress......uh......well, I frogged the aforementioned sock and we've seen that. I also worked on the Baby Yoda sweater. I made the ears and placed them on their proper sides (I've not attached them fully yet) and I started the body of the sweater. I had to look up how to do seed stitch. I'm working from the original free version, which had not been tech edited and was missing some information that you just kind of add as you go along (like how to do seed stitch or when you switch colors and such). I was reading through the directions when I realized I was going to need more US#13 (9 mm) needles if I wanted to continue. As it is, I'm cramming the sweater onto a 16" circular but at some point, I'm going to have to make the sleeves and attach them while the rest of the sweater hangs out on something. So, I broke down and went hunting for places I could order DPNs. I started with my LYSeseses. I don't have a proper LYS anymore so I went to the nearest one, Uncommon Threads in Los Altos. No US#13s. I looked at a few other LYSeseses in the Bay Area. No US#13s. I looked at the Loopy Ewe. No US#13s. I looked at Jimmy Beans. They did have US#13 DPNs and they were reasonably priced ($12, I think). I checked Webs, just in case. I found a set of US#13 rosewood DPNs that would normally be $21....for $3. I am not kidding. I snapped those up and because I was spending significantly less than I expected, I bought a couple skeins of yarn, too. I have needles coming for the project. In the meantime, I can work on it until I get to the sleeve section. So, I've got that going for me. 

I also tinked back the row on my Returning Shawl to figure out where I went wrong. I'm also off by a stitch again so I may have to tink back another row to figure it out. I'm not very thrilled about that right now. ::sigh:: 

The only other thing I worked on was the Granny Square Blanket. 





I pulled out all the squares I had finished and put away for when I get around to placing & seaming and photographed them. There are fourteen in the photo but there were an additional four or so in the actual project bag plus the one I was working on. I finished that one and started another one. I may have a decently sized blanket when I finish all these squares, which would be delightful. 

And currently, I have my Abracadabra Socks sitting in front of me but I've not pulled them out of the bag yet. Maybe after I finish typing. We'll see.




OMFGLSGWTFBBQ Lists


Design WIPs:

1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns 
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Rastarmulke: started 20 November 2017 - write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
10. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)


Children's Items:

1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018)
2. Minecraft Socks for Little Man (fingering weight - Tosh Sock in Plaid Blanket?)
3. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
4. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
5. I Love Stockinette Baby Bibs (worsted - cotton, acrylic, something)



Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):

1. Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
2. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
3. Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
4. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - Fresh From the Cauldron Schoodic Sock in Sookie)
5. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Socks (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
8. Washcloths/chewcloths (worsted weight - cotton)
9. Sockhead (fingering - I have tons...pick something!)
10. Age of Brass & Steam (Handspun purple/white barber pole)


Designs:

1. Christmas Stocking for Husband
2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man
3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon
4. Baby Blanket


Spinning:

1. Wonderland Dyeworks BFL
2. Mixed BFL
3. Allons-Y Fiber Arts Merino, Trilobal Nylon, Silk
4. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)
5. Fiberlady.com 100% Bamboo 


Dyeing:

1. Sock Blanks
2. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:

1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Stitch markers
5. Destash as necessary
6. Stash Fit



This past week was supposed to be the first week of spring break. We were supposed to leave on a five-day cruise yesterday. None of that happened. Spring break was a less-pushy version of Distance Learning because we didn't have a zillion emails and meetings happening. I tried to keep the boys on a schedule. 

But, as evidenced by me...schedules don't always work out so well. It's fine. We basically took Thursday and Friday "off" for most of the big things. I think I had each boy do one "school" thing on each of those days. It worked for those days. 

Stormageddon has been very resistant to the idea of school at home with mom. It's incredibly difficult to get him to do any of his school-type work. He does not want to do it and trying to explain to him results in tantrums, among blank stares and other things. He just doesn't get it. I asked him to show me his listening ears earlier this week. 





Later that same day, he smacked his face on his (metal) bed frame. I'm going to be amazed if this boy survives childhood without a broken bone.




Surprisingly, he didn't wind up with a black eye from the incident. i was sure he would. He did have a bruise where the raised area is but that was it. 

Stormageddon tried to read a book to Little Man. It's a Peppa Pig book. I didn't help him unless he got really stuck with a word and he did pretty well with sounding out his words. 








Even though this photo is of Stormageddon, the picture he's holding is actually a joint project between him and Little Man. Little Man actually drew the Pigeon, Piggie, and Gerald. Stormageddon colored them in (correctly). 

Little Man tested out some photography skills this week. 





He was trying to take a photo of some birds that were flying by but it didn't work. So he got the sky instead. 





This one is of a bird (probably a pigeon but possibly a grey dove) sitting on one of the wires in our backyard. 

Other than that, it was a pretty benign week. We did drive down to San Jose on Thursday afternoon and I test-drove a car. My car has been dying a slow death. It's a 2010 Volkswagon Tiguan with 115k miles, a check engine light (cylinder misfires), and some dents & dings. It's also a 4-motion, which is the VW version of all-wheel drive. Apparently they cannot be found here. So, we test-drove a car. In the meantime, we're going to try to sell my car. Husband put it up on Facebook Marketplace  and Craigslist on Friday afternoon. He had six hits on it before 10pm and an addition five yesterday and a couple more today. He's had three people that were coming to look, money in hand, and they ghosted him. He had one come, look, get freaked out about the check engine light (even though it's right in the description) and backed out. It's fine. We can be a one-car family for awhile. 

That's about all that's been happening around here. I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend and so on :) 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely sky photo. Cloud photos are so serene and don't we all need a bit of serene these days. Nice cooperative picture your boys drew. Well done. Hope the car sale happens quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed on getting your car sold. Sorry the younger is resistent to WFH. It can be like that with kids and parents over school work.

    ReplyDelete