Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Year NINE: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - What do we call it when I do it four weeks in a row? (Update #27)

Hello and happy Sunday! If you're following along, I'm officially on the second half of my ninth year. Many in the group are starting their tenth year this week! Go us! 



FOs (Finished Objects):
1. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018; finished 29 January 2020
2. Tiny Turtle: started 7 November 2019; finished 30 January 2020
3. Mirkwood: started 9 February 2020; finished 17 February 2020
4. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018; frogged 9 April 2020
5. Sockhead: started 8 January 2020; finished 25 May 2020
6. Baby Yoda: started 14 March 2020; finished 13 June 2020
7. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018; finished 18 June 2020
8. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): started 16 January 2019; finished 30 June 2020

So, I sort of have something finished! With Tour de Fleece happening, I brought out Viktor (my Majacraft Pioneer) and finished spinning the second 4 oz of some merino I had started quite awhile ago. So, I had two bobbins filled with singles and they were plied. I fit a little under 7 oz onto the jumbo bobbin (plied) so I had to ply just under an oz on a regular bobbin. So far, I have about 380 yds and 7.2 oz of fiber plied. I have some singles left on one of the bobbins so at some point I'll Andean-ply it and add another 20-30 yds and finish out the 8 oz I started with. 

The top bobbin is the one I still need to ply, Then there are the other two bobbins. You can see that my jumbo bobbin was very full. Also, this is not a delightful photo as it was taken at night with the flash on. Oops. 







WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year if needed):
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Prototype Something Something Raindrops: started 11 April 2019
10. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
11. Rose City Rollers: started 18 June 2020
12. Greenwood Fiberworks Dark BFL: started 28 June 2020
13. Oread Hat (test knit): started 2 July 2020

Playing to my true nature: I finish something, I start something. Except this time, I started two things. Oops. 

I started spinning a braid of Dark BFL from Greenwood Fiberworks in Puget Sound. It has brown, navy, and forest green in the braid. It may also have a little of a reddish/purpley color but I can't remember right now. This is the first bobbin (about 2 oz). 





In addition to that, I started a hat as a test knit. It's an interesting construction in that it starts at the crown and you work downwards. I've just surpassed the crown increases and am working toward the brim. However, I'm having some gauge issues. The pattern calls for 4.5 sts per inch and I'm getting 5.5 sts....however, it's merino and it tends to expand a bit when you wash/block it so I'm going to finish it in hopes that it will grow when I wash it. If it doesn't, the boys have a new hat and I'll dig out some worsted and larger needles and try again. I'm using the yarn I had frogged the Campfire Socks, which may also be part of the issue. Again, we'll see how things go.

Aside from new projects, I also worked on the Rose City Rollers. I finished up the heel gusset decreases on the first sock and am now just working down the foot to the toe decreases. I'm probably halfwayish through the foot at this point. Maybe. I just hope I have enough yarn.

My prototype cowl is almost finished as well. I think I have 20 rounds left and I'm sure I said that last week but last week I hadn't decided whether I was going to add another five round section or not. This week I decided that so now I have another 20 rounds left. For real. 





OMFGLSGWTFBBQ Lists


Design WIPs:

1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns 
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Rastarmulke: started 20 November 2017 - write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
10. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)


Children's Items:

1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018)
2. Minecraft Socks for Little Man (fingering weight - Tosh Sock in Plaid Blanket?)
3. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
4. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
5. I Love Stockinette Baby Bibs (worsted - cotton, acrylic, something)



Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1. Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
2. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
3. Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
4. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - Fresh From the Cauldron Schoodic Sock in Sookie)
5. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Socks (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
8. Washcloths/chewcloths (worsted weight - cotton)
9. Sockhead (fingering - I have tons...pick something!)


Designs:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband
2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man
3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon
4. Baby Blanket


Spinning:
4. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
2. Skeins of sock yarn
3. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Stitch markers
5. Destash as necessary
6. Stash Fit 



I did some cleaning in my corner this week. I pulled out my little roller cart and reorganized it, put some things away, moved some things around, and generally made it a bit more user-friendly. It wasn't much but it helped. 

I also washed handspun this week. The big bobbin's worth is still drying but I had to move it so it's drying in my yarn closet. I started boxes for Goodwill, as well. I need to convince Husband not to throw out the bigger boxes because I need them. Oh well.

In other random events, Husband is taking the next two weeks off. Apparently we're doing work in the bathroom (tiling the wall and replacing the toilet), which I know needs to be done (as I'm the one that cleans the bathrooms)....but hrm. Not looking forward to it. I think we're also taking a road trip to eastern Washington state for a few days. We thought about flying and then thought better of it. I'm really hoping Stormageddon's masks arrive before then. 

So, I didn't spin a lot this past week, aside from early in the week. That's partly due to this, which has mostly resolved itself now.





I was helping Husband get one of his 3D prints off the print bed using a scraper and the scraper slipped and jabbed me in the crook of my thumb. It still hurts a bit but I don't need to keep it covered anymore. Of course, a couple days later, I had a sliver go under my fingernail on the other hand. I managed to get that out but that finger still hurts. So, spinning hasn't been fun. Oh well.




Groot was not the offending 3D print I was trying to get off the print bed. He's just cute. I took an art pen and filled in his eyes, mouth, and eyebrows. I need to do it again but he looks less.....blank. 

Little Man has been somewhat resistant to photos lately. I'm not quite sure what's going on, if it's just him being almost a fourth grader or what. But I did manage to convince him of a couple this week. Of course, the first one had to be goofy. 





The second one, he was showing me his cardboard robot suit (not Iron Man but something along those lines). It's not in the picture but he also has arms that can shoot out. I helped him with those by providing the string (cotton yarn). 





Stormageddon was also in on the action. Little Man made him a Kokori Sword and shield this week and they borrowed Husband's Link hat and suddenly, I didn't have Stormageddon anymore! I had a little Link!





He is turning into such a little boy now. Of course, he still has his moments, as all five year olds do. But he's such a little boy! He brought me a caterpillar and an ant yesterday (just to show me). 

The boys have been spending time in the inflatable pool outside, which has been moved several times so we don't kill the grass. I've been working. Husband has been working. We were going to go up to Santa Rosa for our customary 4th of July festivities but with the Covid spike and high-risk people in both families, we decided against it. It's the first time in seven years we haven't gone up there for the 4th of July. It happens. We would never be able to forgive ourselves if they got sick (and vice verse). 

Anyway, I hope you've had a good week and weekend! 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful spinning - Wow that bobbin holds a lot. My bobbin holds about 100 gms plied and that seems huge to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Groot is really cute. I love your handspun, and I quite envy your skills, I can't seem to work my spinning wheel right no matter how much I practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your spinning looks great, I love the grey. I hope your injuries are healing, you still managed to do loads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your spinning looks so nice and even. I am impressed. Your boys are really growing up quickly. I can not believe little man is going into the 4th grade! Heck, I remember when you were PG with Stormageddon! Now you say he is 5. UGH! How did that all happen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your plied and unplied yarns are very pretty. Love the color! And boy how the boys are growing! Love seeing their creations, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, wish I could spin, it does look amazing!

    ReplyDelete