Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, December 27, 2020

Year NINE: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Bang or whimper? (Update #52)

I've managed to survive another year. Let's take a look at this last week's worth of progress before I get to my actual Wrap Up post, which I think might happen on.....Thursday or Friday. I've not decided yet. I'll get there. For now, let's see how the last week of 2020 panned out in my knitting world.



FOs (Finished Objects)

1. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018; finished 29 January 2020
2. Tiny Turtle: started 7 November 2019; finished 30 January 2020
3. Mirkwood: started 9 February 2020; finished 17 February 2020
4. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018; frogged 9 April 2020
5. Sockhead: started 8 January 2020; finished 25 May 2020
6. Baby Yoda: started 14 March 2020; finished 13 June 2020
7. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018; finished 18 June 2020
8. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): started 16 January 2019; finished 30 June 2020
9. Oread Hat (test knit): started 2 July 2020; finished 11 July 2020
10. Prototype Something Something Raindrops: started 11 April 2019; finished 18 July 2020
11. Rose City Rollers: started 18 June 2020; finished 4 August 2020
12. Prototype Something Something (worsted): started 5 September 2020; finished 6 September 2020
13.
Prototype Something Something cowl: started 11 September 2020; finished 17 October 2020
14.
Basic Fingerless Mitts: started 6 September 2020; finished 19 November 2020
15.
Come Sail Away: started 17 October 2020; finished 22 December 2020

Here is where I finished 2020 (unless something happens between now and the beginning of 2021 but let's not hold our breath). I've done worse. I've done better. This year was kind of a hot mess all around for so many reasons. So, let's not dwell :) Just recognize that I did finish the baby blanket, which is amazing. I knew I'd get it done before Christmas! It's even been washed, had the ends woven in (and clipped, even though my FO photo on the above link doesn't show that), and photographed. If you want to see it now, you can click on the link (which takes you to Ravelry) or you can wait until my Wrap Up Post to see it. Whatever bastes your turkey.

 

WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year if needed):

1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
10. Greenwood Fiberworks Dark BFL (Viktor): started 28 June 2020
11. Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
12. Minecraft Socks: started 12 August 2020
13. Milo: started 22 December 2020

So, it looks like I still have some projects on my list....as if that's anything new or surprising. Seriously, after ten years you think I would have figured things out, right? Noooooope. Clearly this is not the case. 

Most of the earlier part of this past week was spent working on the Come Sail Away blanket because I wanted it finished. And it was finished...by Tuesday evening. The rest of the week, I worked on Milo in the remaining yarn from the blanket. I had a full skein plus three partial skeins and it looked like a perfect little project to go with the blanket. So, I started that on Tuesday night. My goal is to have it finished during this break but we'll see how things go. The baby isn't due until February so we have a hot minute. I also double-checked that baby is of the girl variety because it makes my knitting a little happier if I know I have some wiggle room with the length. It's probably going to be a tunic with some added wiggle room for a diaper butt because of the additional pattern I'm using. I've got at least 40 rounds left, plus the garter stitch border, so probably close to 50 rounds left. 

I also pulled out the granny squares for a hot minute this week as well as the Vanilla Socks. I needed to count my rounds to decide if it was time to start my heel yet and I decided it was. So, I started the heel flap, which is always a good time. I didn't finish the heel flap, however. I only had a hot minute to work, apparently. 

I think that was it for actual fibery endeavors this week.



OMFGLSGWTFBBQ Lists


Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)



Children's Items:
1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018) - I may change this to a different sweater using the same yarn
2. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
3. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
4. I Love Stockinette Baby Bibs (worsted - cotton, acrylic, something)


Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1. Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
2. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
3. Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
4. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - Fresh From the Cauldron Schoodic Sock in Sookie)
5. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Socks (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
8. Washcloths/chewcloths (worsted weight - cotton)
9. Sockhead (fingering - I have tons...pick something!)


Designs:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband
2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man
3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon
4. Baby Blanket


Spinning:
4. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
2. Skeins of sock yarn
3. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry) *in progress*
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Stitch markers
5. Destash as necessary
 
 
So, it looks like I didn't do a whole lot this year. I mean, look at the list of "wants" here......so many things that I just didn't get around to for whatever reason. It's fine, though. 
 
 
Anyway, California life was pretty quiet this past week. With the boys not having school due to the winter holidays, we spent our days doing things like going through toys, baking cookies, last minute shopping, wrapping presents in secret with the door locked, cleaning, and maybe watching a Christmas movie here and there. 
 
I will admit that it didn't really feel very holidayey around here. I mean, the Christmas tree was up, our yard/house were decorated, but it just didn't feel like Christmas at our house. Even Christmas Eve was a little off. The boys almost forgot to leave Santa his cookies (they forgot the milk). It all worked out in the end. We had a lovely Christmas but it was kind of subdued this year. Like everyone else, the Covid pandemic is getting to us. We've been isolated from our family since we moved out here but this year was especially rough. 
 
On the 23rd, Husband found a way for the boys to talk to Santa. We used the computer for a video chat, which went fairly well. We saw the reindeer and the boys told him what they wanted. And he even managed to deliver!
 

 
 
Our roommate made dinner on Christmas Eve and it was delightful. We had shrimp coctail, roasted chestnut soup, prime rib, baked potatoes, green beans, and creamed corn. We were so full we never got to dessert! Then, of course, we had a fire! And Puppy managed to snuggle with me for a hot minute this week. He's been being kind of butt at night, though. He keeps wanting to go potty. And of course, he only wakes me up. ::sigh:: 

 
 

 
 
On Christmas Day, the boys managed to not open anything until after they woke us up...but that didn't stop them from snooping in their stockings a little. Stormageddon came in and said, "Mommy, I have Lego Mario" and I asked him how he knew that and he said because he found it in the big sock. Silly kid. 
 
 
 
As usual, they made out like little bandits. Both of them got at least two or three Lego sets, there were art supplies galore, and then there were the Baby Yodas. They're so stinkin' cute. 
 
Below is our tree....after the carnage. You can't see Husband fully in this photo but he's wearing the Dude Sweater that our roommate got him. He's worn it every day for multiple hours at a time. I'm kind of impressed. Maybe I will have to make him one. Or not.



 
On Saturday (yesterday) we took down our decorations. We have something like eight of those inflatable decorations, plus our wreath (which goes into compost), two statue-type things, and lights, in addition to our tree, Tardis string lights, and a Hallmark Harry Potter set. And the Festivus Pole. And the Charlie Brown tree. And stockings. Yeah, we have a bunch of stuff. We put it all away yesterday. Husband mowed the lawn yesterday as a result. We hadn't mowed since before Thanksgiving and we had some new grass seed that went a little gangbusters, whcih is good...but it needed mowing. 

And look at that! I've even posted on time! My Wrap Up Post will be coming later this week. Probably Thursday or Friday...I haven't decided which yet (but I have started working on it because it's a photo-heavy post). Next Sunday, I think I get to introduce you to my 10th Self-Imposed Year of Projects. Woo! 

I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Wow your decorations come down so early, is that only external ones? We keep ours up until last New Years but rarely make the whole 12 days of Christmas period. You achieved a lot, you have growing boys needing attention, a global pandemic and home schooling....it’s amazing you manage to fit anything in around life and you have a big list of FOs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your family had a good Christmas. Here in Ohio we had a "white" Christmas - only a dusting. But it was nice. It seems weird to hear about cutting the grass in Dec.😁. Lucky you with such an accomplished chef for special occasion meals!! Can't complain. My hubby is quite the cook so we had beef wellingtons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great holiday, despite not feeling quite in the holiday spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lists are always looking busy to me - what with parenting and working and life too. Well, done. Your husband was a genius finding a way for the boys to talk to Santa. Your puppy looks pretty innocent - I hope the middle of the night potty breaks stop soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice Christmas you had. Awesomesauce your roommate cooked an elaborate meal for you all.

    ReplyDelete