Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, May 2, 2021

Year the TENTH: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - It's Sunday, right? (Update #18)

Hello and happy Sunday and happy May!


 

I 100% ganked this from a friend on Facebook. It's kind of perfect. This is the May. Let's get going!

 


FOs (Finished Objects)
1.
Greenwood Fiberworks Dark BFL (Viktor): started 28 June 2020; finished 17 January 2021
2. Boo-Yah: started 26 January 2021; finished 27 January 2021
3.
Minecraft Socks: started 12 August 2020; finished 6 March 2021
4.
Alpaca (Viktor): started 17 January 2021; finished 17 March 2021
5. Dyeing Project: started 9 April, 2021; finished 9 April 2021
6.
El Panal Cowl: started 5 April 2021; finished 29 April 2021

Firstly, as you can see, I have a FO! I finished up the El Panal Cowl this week. Now, to be fair, it still needs the gazillion ends woven in but it's been washed/blocked, which is always a bonus. And a proper photograph, of course. I might get around to that. This is an in-progress photo so you can at least see the colors I used:



I bought it as a kit from Greenwood Fiberworks almost two years ago at Lambtown. The pattern is wonderfully written. My only complaint is that I don't generally wear single-wrap cowls so if I were to make it again, I might be tempted to convert this into a long tube and graft the ends together so I can make a multi-wrap cowl that doesn't show the insides. Maybe. Something like that. I don't know. I might just be talking about of my butt. I hardly ever make patterns again...but this one was fun and I highly recommend it. You can find both the pattern and mini skein sets here. This is especially helpful if Ravelry is not a safe place for you since "the change." 

But that's it for FOs this week. 



WIPs (Works-in-Progress) *these are carried over year after year, as needed*
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
10.
Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
11. Sand Drift Blanket: started 17 January 2021
12. Rose City Rollers: started 7 March 2021
13. Flax for Stormageddon: started 29 April 2021

Because I finished up the El Panal Cowl, I started a new project, in this case, a Flax sweater for Stormageddon (8-10 year size because he's going to grow). I've had the yarn wound for awhile now and I just wanted to clear something off the needles before starting this project. So, it's been started. I'm using Stunning String Studio's Legacy Worsted, which is a 100% merino worsted, in Grecian Blue, Milk Chocolate (brown) and Pewter (grey). It's going to have stripes but I've not figured out how I'm going to do that quite yet. I know the top and bottom will be blue but that's all I know right now. Stormageddon is extremely excited that I'm making him a sweater and he asks about it's progress daily, and I show him. I'm not very far along yet since I only started it on Thursday but I've got maybe 10 rounds before I split for armholes. I need to measure first. I suspect my gauge may be off a bit (in a "too big" way), which isn't the end of the world as I have plenty of yarn. 

I also worked on the Rose City Rollers a teensy bit. I'm pretty sure I'm going to run out of yarn...however, I have a little bit of the bright green left from the El Panal Cowl and I haven't done a side-by-side check but I'm guessing it's a pretty close match so I may use that. Even if it isn't a perfect match, that part is going to be in my shoe so who cares?! Also, I have bits from all the other colors so I can just use that and know it will go well together. 

But that's it. I spent most of my time working on the cowl.



OMGLSGWTFBBQ


Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)

 

Design Ideas:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband

2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man

3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon

4. Baby Blanket
5. Stomping Grounds Collection

 

Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1.
Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
2.
Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
3. Stranger Things Hat (worsted - Malabrigo Rios in Archangel)
4.
Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
5. Fine Tune (fingering weight - uses minis so maybe a rainbow type one with the Canon Hand Dyes?)*

6. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)

7. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
8. Undone (bulky - maybe the reclaimed yarn from the Freeport Vest?)
9. Socks (fingering weight - Bob knows I have enough so I should use it - maybe with the CSM)
10
Sockhead (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
11. Age of Brass & Steam (Handspun purple/white barber pole)
12. Radiate Shawl (fingering weight - Artfibers Carezza maybe?)


Children's Items
1. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
2. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
3. Maybe a Flax for Little Man...maybe...

 

Utilitarian/Household Items
1. Garter Chevron Blanket (KP Mighty Stitch - may need to get some more black or white)
2. Diagonal Knit Dishcloths (cotton of some sort)
3. Reusable Produce Bag (cotton or acrylic of some sort - worsted)
4. Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth (cotton or maybe bamboo, depending on the use)


Spinning:


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks (I think I have 5 left)
2. Random worsted/sport skeins (I have maybe 2-3 left)
3. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry) *in progress*
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry) *needs to be redone*
4. Stitch markers: kits and individual
5. Destash as necessary (it's always necessary)

 

 

California life continues as it has continued during this PenDamnit. I'm over calling it a pandemic. It's new term is pendamnit. Because we are all so over this. 

The school board for our district pulled some shenanigans and have decided to go back to school five days a week, half-days, for the rest of the school year. However, there are still plenty of families (including ours) that are remaining in distance learning. It's been a hot mess, they gave the schools like 2 weeks' notice and then the teachers' union had to figure out their Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), the schools had to figure out which teachers were going to teach in-person and which ones were going to stay in distance learning, which means some teachers were going to have to go back, even if they did not want to, because apparently the best way to appreciate our teachers is to say "screw you and your comfort level, we want our kids back in school." 

Did I mention that teacher appreciation week is this week and it's also the week that this is supposed to start? Wow. And it's all for six frickin' weeks. There was absolutely no reason to upend everything again but parents have been screaming to get their kids back in school. Yes, the teachers and school staff are vaccinated. I get it. But not all the parents are. And let's face it, parents already send their children to school when they shouldn't be there...it's part of why Little Man wound up in the hospital a few times over the past few years. I don't trust them to take this any more seriously. It's why we're staying in distance learning until the fall. 

I'm a little pissed off about this. Can you tell?

In other random events, we bought the boys a little pool for the yard. Nothing fancy. It's maybe 8' across and 2.5' high. Enough for them to sit and splash around in. Husband has been working on the Mandolorian stuff. He added something to my helmet, which doesn't change how it looks from the outside. He's working on another version of his helmet. And printing the Boba Fett one. And printing a few things Little Man has designed in TinkerCad. Little Man has been having fun designing things in TinkerCad. Gives him something fun to do. Not everyone can make their own toys!

Oh, and I made pretzels again this week. Because why not?! And banana bread. 


Stormageddon also spent some time reading to me and doing (huge) floor puzzles. The puzzles are technically Little Man's but he's too old for them. So while they live in his room, they're mostly for Stormageddon. It's going to be a sad day when we pass those on.





I also have some video of Stormageddon but I know my videos won't load properly on here. He was wearing his Alaska Airlines pilot suit he got for Christmas 2019 and basically he says, "Hi, my name's Stormageddon and I'll be your pilot today." I posted it on Instagram and tagged Alaska Airlines. 

 
 
 
Anyway, I hope you've had a a lovely week and weekend! This is how I feel about things...
 
 


 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing the cowl. It look like a fun knit. Pretty colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll look forward to hearing about your Flax sweater. I'm thinking about that pattern for my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PenDamnit indeed! I love it. Yes, so over it all. Trying to keep the chin up and all that but geeezzzz. Sorry to hear about your school board's decision. I think you and your family are making the right choice. I feel so bad for teachers that have no choice. I am grateful to be retired during this last year, but my heart goes out to all parents of school aged children and their teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I’ll be adopting your pandamnit too. I like your cowl, I was going to suggest you try felting it as that’s what worked for me with a single loop cowl that kept flopping over, but I think it’s maybe a superwash wool you’ve used? It’s pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure every school district has had re-opening foolery! Our district had some recently where they made a 4-day reopening announcement- without regard to the contract they had with the union regarding safety procedures. And the NEXT DAY they had to walk back the announcement because not every school/class has the space to allow for this. Many parents were angry at the TEACHERS. I don't have the space for anger; I thought the decision was rashly made and went back to my life.
    My kids' elementary school was able to open up limited spaces for 4 day attendance- while still following distancing and capacity guidelines in line with the union contract.
    And yes, its a weird tread; we are all pandemic burnt-out. But just because we WANT it to end doesn't mean we can ignore it and it go away like magic. I'm also fully vaccinated, and I wore a mask at an outdoor baby shower- even when more than 6 feet from anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you have that option. There are some parents where I live who are suing the district. I understand the need and the importance of having kids learn in the classroom but teachers are human beings too and they have families. I was happy it was decided that we are still distance learning until the end of the school year. Next fall the kids will be back in school and I'm fine with that as my soon-to-be 14 year old will hopefully have both of her vaccinations by then.

    ReplyDelete