Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Revisiting old posts...

So, it's damn near October. Yes, you read that correctly: O-C-T-O-B-E-R.

I thought I'd take some time to revisit an old post of mine. Do you remember my post from oh-so-long-ago about New Years' Resolutions (NYRs)? No? Oh...well, go here to review. No, really...I'll wait. Go read it.

Done?

Okay then, let's discuss.

It's October. How are things going with my List of Things I'd Like to Accomplish in 2011? Let's start at the beginning.

1. Stashbusting --> I have a lot of yarn. No, really, it's kind of sickening how much yarn I have. So, I'm hoping to avoid buying yarn (things like the Madison Knitters' Guild Knit-In in March and Wisconsin Sheep & Wool Festival in September don't count) and making things using yarn already in my stash. This shouldn't prove to be too difficult. I will make the exception on yarn buying if I need more to complete a project...but that's the exception.

Well..........knitting has been lessening as Little Man gets older and more mobile (seriously, he's pulling himself up to stand and walk around things). I've been working on using my stash but I think I went a little crazy at Knit-In and Sheep & Wool. Actually, I didn't do that badly at Sheep & Wool...I bought mostly fiber that weekend. However, I also added a "festival" of sorts when I went to Stitches Midwest. I have substantially more yarn in my stash because of those three events. However, I also was able to rid myself of some yarn when I sold some at the last Knitters' Guild meeting of the year in May. It wasn't much...but it was some. I've got more for sale on my Ravelry trade/sell page, if you're so inclined to look. I've also got some that I'm willing to let go of that I don't have listed there yet...I should get on that. Let's face it, I'm not doing well with the stashbusting. *sigh*



2. Clean the house --> This sounds like a normal task for most people but, at my house, it means going through every single thing in every single room and throwing things out, selling things, having St. Vinny's come and take things off my hands, and having the Buy & Sell shops come and take things off my hands. I have a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, this task is going to be made more difficult by the presence of Little Man. But, we're going to try it...

I have done some work with this. I actually had a garage sale around here...granted, most stuff did not move and will be going to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, the Buy & Sell, or the consignment shop...but I was able to get a bunch of stuff together from the house that I was willing to get rid of. And for me, that's a huge start.



3. Get organized --> I am terrible at getting organized. I have good intentions and I try things out...I have yet to find something that works for both Husband and I. Someday...but we're going to keep trying!

This is going to be forever ongoing. It seems like I get one area finished, move on to another area, only to come back to the first area to find that it's a disaster again. One of the things I'd like to rid myself of completely is paperwork. We have to keep so much paperwork for taxes with the condo and medical stuff and other paperwork for medical stuff, specifically Little Man's metabolic disorder and it just seems never-ending. We have a scanner. I have a jump drive. I can scan all this paperwork and put it on the jump drive, organize it from there, and shred the evidence, so to speak. Also, with Little Man being mobile, it's even more difficult to keep things picked up and organized. He's so curious about everything that he has to make a mess. It'll get better with time.

4. Spend quality time with my Little Man --> I spend a lot of time with him now but he's so young that we're just feeding, changing, and crying. As he gets older, I hope to spend time with him outside playing, inside playing, etc.

"Quality" is a relative term. We play in the house, get out of the house and go shopping (usually groceries or baby stuff), go to doctor appointments, visit Husband at work, visit Auntie at work, etc. We do play quite a bit and Little Man adores Puppy...now if we could just keep Puppy from jumping all up in his business, we'd be good to go. But it's pretty well established that I spend a lot of time with Little Man.



5. Spend time knitting every day --> ...even if it's only one row.

I'll admit that I don't knit every day. I try to but sometimes, I'm just so tired that all I want to do is sleep, read stuff on Ravelry and/or blogs, or dink around playing games on my iPhone. Also, playing with fiber, whether I am knitting, attempting to crochet, spinning...it all counts. I used the term "knitting" when I should have said, "have an affair with fiber every day."

6. Organize my yarn stash --> I also want to put it on Ravelry.

This is an on-going process. I've done quite well, however...you can go here to see. I am by no means finished with this...especially since Stitches Midwest was three or four weeks ago and Sheep & Wool was two weeks ago and I hadn't finished going through all my bins in the first place. But, I'm working on it.


7. Organize my needles --> I also want to put it on Ravelry.


Again, this is an on-going process. I'll admit, though, I haven't done much with this. Part of it is that I'm still trying to find all my needles...but, I'll get there. It's not detrimental if I don't.



I think I'm done re-hashing my NYRs that aren't NYRs. Have you revisited yours?

2 comments:

  1. I didn't make any resolutions b/c I knew I won't keep them but I did achieve two of my knitting goals - socks and crochet!
    I hate cleaning. I do it when I cannot stand it no longer. I do maintain dishes and laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even remember if I had any...
    When I had a baby in the house I always felt it was a good day if everyone was still alive at bedtime. I think you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete