Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Year SIX: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Update #7

Happy Sunday! Today's post brought to you by too much caffeine, too little food, and lots of stress due to this weekend being Auction Item Weekend at Little Man's school.

But, let's get going :)

Finished Objects (FOs):
1. Pussy Hat: started January 10, 2017; finished January 16, 2017
2. Hermione's Everyday Socks (v2): started November 14, 2016; finished January 28, 2017
3. Frene Creek Farm Corriedale (spinning): started October 12, 2016; finished January 16, 2017
4. Pikachu Hat: started February 3, 2017; finished February 10, 2017

As promised, the Pikachu Hat was finished on Friday, just in time for me to take it to the school yesterday. It turned out a little big but since I'm not sure who will actually be getting the hat, I'm okay with it being big enough to fit me. I hope to have an FO Friday this week (along with Hermione's Everyday Socks and maybe the Frene Creek Farm Corriedale, if I can be fussed to do it).


Works-in-Progress (WIPs):

1. Wink: started January 5, 2015
2. Oh, She IS a Bad Nut: started August 11, 2016
3. Fall in San Francisco (prototype 3): started October 4, 2016
4. Smooth Operator Socks: started October 13, 2016
5. Stormageddon's Vest: started October 17, 2016
6. Trusty (v2): started December 22, 2016
7. Morvarch Aardvark: started January 1, 2017
8. Messed Up Moss: started January 4, 2017

Admittedly, aside from the Pikachu Hat mentioned above, I didn't really do a whole lot of knitting this week. I think the only other project that saw action this week was the Trusty Hat, which is on the....5th pattern repeat, I think. If I sit and work on it, it will be quickly finished.

And no photos of that.


17 UFOs in 2017
1. Wink: started January 5, 2015
2. Oh, She IS a Bad Nut: started August 11, 2016
3. Fall in San Francisco (prototype 3): started October 4, 2016
4. Frene Creek Farm Corriedale (spinning): started October 12, 2016; finished January 16, 2017 **DONE**
5. Smooth Operator Socks: started October 13, 2016
6. Stormageddon's Vest: started October 17, 2016
7. Hermione's Everyday Socks (v2): started November 14, 2016; finished January 28, 2017 **DONE**
8. Trusty (v2): started December 22, 2016
9. Design: Susan's Hat
10. Design: Little Man's Baby Blanket
11. Design: Paradiddle Socks (aka Little Drummer Girl)
12. Design: Pacific Waves Hat
13. Design: Fall in San Francisco Hat
14. Stash Inventory (photos, in Rav database) **DONE**
15. Dystopian Novel
16. Doctor Who blanket (1)
17. Doctor Who blanket (2)

Moving along, nothing to see here.


And in my "OMGLSGWTFBBQ" lists...

Secret Sock Club Bags - Pick a bag at random; do pattern with yarn
1. Scotch & Soda Scarf (using Briar Rose Fibers Wistful, leftover from my Icarus Shawl)
2. Jabberwonky (using KP Felici in Abracadabra)
3. If You Know Where To Go (using KP Felici in Green Veggies)
4. Baby Surprise Jacket (using....htNEVELE something something)

These are the only ones that are currently set up. I have plans to make a few more but we'll see how things go. With all the WIPs and such I have going, this may not be a good idea at this point. Or maybe I'll pull things from the lists below and put them into bags. I don't know.


Stranded Knitting
1. University of Wisconsin Ski Hat (kit)
2. University of Wisconsin Christmas Stocking (kit)
3. University of Wisconsin Button Beanie (kit)
4. Xanadu Snowflake Cowl
5. Unknown Christmas Stocking for Little Man (see also: Designs)
6. Unknown Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon (see also: Designs)
7. Unknown Christmas Stocking for Husband (see also: Designs)


Children's Items:
1. Stuffed toy for Miss C (SIL's foster child)
2. Stuffed toy for Mr. K (SIL's foster child)
3. Stuffed toy for Miss E (SIL's adopted daughter)
4. Stuffed toy for TAZ (brother's daughter)
5. Undetermined hat for Little Man
6. Undetermined hat for Stormageddon
7. Mittens for Little Man
8. Mittens for Stormageddon


Items for ME (selfish knitting FTW!):
1. Park Slope (fingering, specifically Mountain Colors Crazy Foot)
2. Worsted weight house socks (worsted, of course - maybe something like Lumberjack)
3. Classic Silk Mayfaire Camisole (Miss Babs Northumbria with modifications)
4. Evangeline (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
5. Lichen (Aran or Sport/DK; solid or semi-solid)
6. Moyen Age (fingering; one of my Vice Yarns? Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20?)
7. Ginny's Cardigan (DK; solid or semi-solid)
8. Drip Drip Drop (sock; solid or semi-solid)
9. Celtic Myths (worsted; solid)
10. Jag in Garter Stitch (DK; 2 colors)
11. Cobh (fingering; 2 colors)
12. Offhand Lace (bulky; solid or semi-solid)
13. Whitman (DK; any color)
14. Flax (worsted; any color - Misti Alpaca Harry Potter-esque one?)


Christmas/Charity Bin:
1. 198 Yds of Heaven (worsted; solid)
2. Comfort Food (Aran; solid)
3. Tombreck (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
4. Premie Spiral Hat (DK; any color)
5. Pumpkins & a Pattern (any weight, any color - gauge doesn't matter)


Designs:
1. Susan's Hat *started* - need new prototype & write pattern
2. Little Man's Baby Blanket *started* - write pattern
3. Paradiddle Socks - need prototype & write pattern
4. Pacific Waves Hat *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
5. Fall in San Francisco *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
6. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
7. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater) - need sketch, grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
8. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
9. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
10. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)


Spinning:
1. Miss Babs BFL
2. Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk (1)
3. Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk (2)
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt
5. Wash & start processing Alpaca fleece from Lambtown
6. Wash & start processing Merino fleece from Lambtown


Other:
1. Stitch markers
2. Make sure my vintage patterns are in Ravelry (Workbasket magazines, leaflets, etc.)




This week. Oh. Your. God. This week. 

You may remember that we've been dealing with illness in our house. This past week has been.....not fun. If you visited the blog on Wednesday, you already know what's been going on. But, for those of you that didn't swing in.....

Last week I mentioned that Little Man came down with the nasty stomach bug late Friday night/early Saturday morning and spent the rest of the weekend sick. His fever was over 102ºF, he wasn't eating, he wasn't really drinking, he was throwing up, he had diarrhea...just generally feeling like crap. If Little Man was a "normal" child, we would have just dealt with it at home. But, Little Man is....I don't want to say "special" because that's not what I mean but he has some other medical issues that can become problematic, especially if he's not eating or otherwise taking in calories. So, after two days of this and no end in sight.....


I took him to UCSF Children's in San Francisco. Actually, our friend drove the two of us because we are down to one car (more on that in a bit). This was fine and dandy....except before we were even on the highway, I was grabbing the puke bags and throwing up myself. 

By the time the above photo was taken, both he and I had been on IV fluids for about an hour. Yep. I was hooked up to an IV as well. When I was throwing up into the bucket and running walking quickly to the bathroom every hot minute, they asked if I wanted an IV with anti-nausea. Initially, I said, "no, no, I'll be fine" (puke) and they asked me again about 15 minutes later, to which I replied the same (complete with the puking at the end). After that, I said, "well, maybe it wouldn't hurt." 

By the time I went through two bags of fluid, they had decided to admit Little Man. So, I was unhooked and we went upstairs. We were just getting him settled in when Husband called... 

He was on his way to the UCSF Children's ER with Stormageddon, who had started puking epically all over our bed and himself and.....yeah. He also had an IV and was sent home. Husband drove us home (we arrived around 3am) and then went back to the hospital to be with Little Man.

Monday was miserable but mostly because I was hungry and my body was super angry so in order to not make it worse, I avoided most food. Stormageddon was fine. He let me sleep in.......but found dog poop and had a little fun (it wasn't bad - I didn't have to wash any cushions or curtains, just him). We had a lazy day because we felt like crap, slept like crap, didn't have the car, and the weather was crap.

Husband sent me some photos of Little Man from the hospital. He had a rough day on Monday. Thrice-botched blood draws, bribery (in the form of the Ghostbusters 2016 car Lego set), wouldn't eat, couldn't pee (he should have been peeing like crazy by that point)....doesn't look too miserable, though. And because he had a stomach bug, he couldn't go wander to the playroom or anything. 






I'm quite proud of this for several reasons. The hospital's teacher came in to talk to him and asked him if there was something he wanted to do and he said he wanted to color a Dalek. She managed to get some Doctor Who coloring pages. This one is going to be featured in the hospital's magazine. 

They kept Little Man into Tuesday but not all day. He was home before noon. 


Later that afternoon, I asked if he was hungry and he said he wanted a cheeseburger from McDonald's. So, off we went. He got through probably half the cheeseburger and all his fries and I found him on the couch telling me his tummy hurt...and then he fell asleep at 4:45pm. I kept him home on Wednesday and Thursday. I would have sent him on Thursday but he had his follow-up appointment with his pediatrician in the middle of the morning. 

Stormageddon was mostly fine after the epic puking, other than the other end. He's acting normally so I'm not that fussed about it. 

I am back to the nasty cough that won't quit, the one I had before I got the stomach bug. ::sigh:: 

Outside of all that, not much else happened. The weather was crappy and we're down to one car for a few weeks. Husband was having a friend replace his timing belt. We trust this person with the car and that's not the issue. Unfortunately, he ran into some trouble which resulted in some major damage to the engine of Husband's car (need to putz with the engine to get to the timing belt). Soooo, he's going to fix it but it's going to take a bit. So, one car. Not fun. 

And this weekend is Auction Item Weekend where I'm supposed to be at the school to get items ready for the auction, get everything entered, get the catalog ready, etc. So, lack of sleep, too much caffeine, not enough food. ::sigh::

I've been finding snails around the house because of all the rain. This little guy was by our front door the other morning. We've found big ones and small ones, ones without their houses, and empty shells. 



And lastly, Stormageddon shoving fingers up both his nostrils. ::sigh:: Silly boy.




I hope this week is better than last week. It's a pretty low bar to hurdle so I think we're good but, you know :) I hope to be back this week again but we'll have to see how things go. 

5 comments:

  1. I hope you are all mended and bug free. I'm sure your class basket is going to have ppl bidding like crazy especially when they see that great Pikachu hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear all about the illnesses and puking going on at your place. Hope the auction is a blast and gets lots of top bidding happening. The stitching will still be there when you are all better and have some time. For the moment though, rest and recover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief, that week sounds awful!! I hope things improve bigly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a week! It's good to see Little Man smiling even if it looks a little half-hearted - poor guy. Glad you all are on the mend - well, except for your cough. Best wishes for you as you get ready for the auction next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - what a week. I agree your hurdle bar is low enough that this coming week will be fantastic in comparison.

    ReplyDelete