Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, October 18, 2020

Year NINE: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - The Answer to Everything (Update #42)

Happy Sunday from the San Francisco Bay Area! Let's get going on today's update before my day runs out and it turns into Monday on me.....again. 

 

FOs (Finished Objects):

1. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018; finished 29 January 2020
2. Tiny Turtle: started 7 November 2019; finished 30 January 2020
3. Mirkwood: started 9 February 2020; finished 17 February 2020
4. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018; frogged 9 April 2020
5. Sockhead: started 8 January 2020; finished 25 May 2020
6. Baby Yoda: started 14 March 2020; finished 13 June 2020
7. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018; finished 18 June 2020
8. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): started 16 January 2019; finished 30 June 2020
9. Oread Hat (test knit): started 2 July 2020; finished 11 July 2020
10. Prototype Something Something Raindrops: started 11 April 2019; finished 18 July 2020
11. Rose City Rollers: started 18 June 2020; finished 4 August 2020
12. Prototype Something Something (worsted): started 5 September 2020; finished 6 September 2020
13.
Prototype Something Something cowl: started 11 September 2020; finished 17 October 2020

I finished up my cowl last night. Currently, it's drying and the ends need weaving in but other than that, it's finished. 

 

 

WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year if needed):

1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
10. Greenwood Fiberworks Dark BFL (Viktor): started 28 June 2020
11. Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
12. Minecraft Socks: started 12 August 2020
13. Basic Fingerless Mitts: started 6 September 2020
14. Come Sail Away: started 17 October 2020

Given that we we spent a lot of time in the car this past week, I had some ample knitting time. I finished up most of the cowl noted above while we were driving. The only thing I needed to do was the bind off, which I did last night. I thought about doing it in the car but decided against it in case something went horribly wrong. 

In addition to that, I made some progress on the Minecraft Socks. I finished the leg, knit the heel flap, and did the heel turn on the first sock. I still need to pick up stitches and start moving along again but I got that far, which is delightful progress. 

I also knit a few rounds on the Vanilla Socks. I need to recount my rounds to figure out how many more to knit but I need to do that in natural light (otherwise, it just makes me strain my eyes). 

Aside from the car knitting, I also started a new project this week. Husband's former VP is going to be a grandfather come February so I'm knitting a nautical-themed baby blanket (they're big into sailing). I only have four skeins of the yarn, though, and I'd rather not have to order more. I can if I absolutely need to but I'd rather not. I'm only about 30 rounds into the blanket (out of maybe 200ish) so it's a little early to worry about playing yarn chicken but that's how I roll sometimes. 




OMFGLSGWTFBBQ Lists


Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)



Children's Items:
1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018) - I may change this to a different sweater using the same yarn
2. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
3. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
4. I Love Stockinette Baby Bibs (worsted - cotton, acrylic, something)


Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1. Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
2. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
3. Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
4. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - Fresh From the Cauldron Schoodic Sock in Sookie)
5. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Socks (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
8. Washcloths/chewcloths (worsted weight - cotton)
9. Sockhead (fingering - I have tons...pick something!)


Designs:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband
2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man
3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon
4. Baby Blanket


Spinning:
4. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
2. Skeins of sock yarn
3. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Stitch markers
5. Destash as necessary
 
I'm working on a book inventory of my knitting books. I have several and while I'd like to think I was a good knitter and entered everything into Ravelry, I know I haven't and I also know that some of the books won't show up there, even though I qualify them as knitting books (like A Stash of One's Own by Clara Parkes, which does, incidentally show up). So, I'm working on that. I've got about a shelf's worth written down and I have another one to go (but the second shelf has thinner books, thus more). I also went through all my project bags a couple of weeks ago and I'm getting ready to *gasp* sell some of them. I have far too many and, really, I don't need that many. 

Also, my yarn closet is a complete disaster right now. Husband had this grand idea to take everything out of the bins, put them into space saver bags, and then put them on shelves because it'll be easier to see, easier to know what I have, and will take up less space. Plus, we can move a few things into that closet that are taking up space elsewhere (like suitcases, for example).

I hate it. Like I really hate it. 
 
I mean, it's not the worst thing in the world. but because everything was moved around, I have no idea where anything is. I need to go through everything again, label bags, and reassess what I have. It's a total mess right now.
 
 
Our plans changed for our trip, as well. Originally we were going to leave on Thursday but we looked at the weather and it wasn't looking pretty so we headed out on Wednesday morning, stayed overnight in Salt Lake City, and got home Thursday evening. I spent a good chunk of Friday in bed with a headache and just an unwell feeling. No, I don't have Covid. This happens almost every time I return home from trips where I've been above sea level for extended periods of time. Wisconsin and South Dakota are both at least a mile above sea level. It didn't happen when we went to Washington over the summer because they're about 400' above sea level (instead of 7000'). So, Friday was kind of a wash for me. 

Yesterday, we did our usual "weekend" stuff: cleaning. It was hot, though, so not as much cleaning because it was icky. Also, I ran out of Windex! 
 
Here are some photos from our trip!
 
The boys had their electronics in the car (because loooooonnnnng car rides). They were playing Mario Kart on the Switch at this point. This was on our way out. 

 
 
One of the places we saw on our travels were the salt flats in Utah. It was surreal because it looks like snow on the ground but the temperature indicated that could not be true. We did see a few people driving out there, as well. Apparently it's the place you go when you want to drive really fast because there is nothing out there. 
 
 

 
The above, however....that's snow. We hit some snow on the ground in Wyoming and then we hit a sleet storm. It was nice to see snow but it was not nice to drive in the ick.
 
 
 
 
The boys and my in-laws by the Wisconsin sign & flag at Mt. Rushmore. We were all masked up. It was kind of amazing to see how many people were not (and it was unnerving, as well). The boys also sat by the California sign & flag, as well.
 
 

 


 
 
Ah, the money shot. Everyone takes this shot, right? I mean, how can you not? It's a perfect shot if everything is going right. I did show Little Man photos (online) of what Mt. Rushmore looked like before it was carved. 


 
 
Okay, can we talk about Wall Drug for a minute? I seriously thought this place was going to be like going to a regular small-town drugstore. I had no idea it was going to be a little shopping center type place with all the kitchy touristy stuff. I mean, I knew they would have some of that...but it was actually a really interesting place and I would like to go back and spend more than a half hour there sometime. We did buy the boys some silly t-shirts while we were there.
 
 

This was on our way home...obviously right after we left to head back home. I took it from the car. 

I also have photos from Crazy Horse but I think I'm going to leave them out. Maybe at a later date. 


Anyway, that's all I know right now. I hope you had a lovely week and weekend!


 

 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds/looks like you had a grand trip to WI and back. Mt Rushmore is on my bucket list. (Along with about 100 places LOL) I hope you will post a photo of the cowl you designed. It never gets cold enough here to wear them but I love seeing them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Mount Rushmore shot is money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a nice vacation and got lots of knitting time. I don't envy your repacking your stash. Makes me glad that I didn't go the bin route. Course, I've only been at knitting for 4 years. I've used clear plastic bags with zippers (like you get when you buy new sheets). I try to have a project in mind when I buy yarn. Thus I put the yarn(s) and the title page of the project in a clear bag. It helps with "what was I thinking". ;) I still try to remember to log my yarns into Ravelry as I definitely change my mind on what I want to knit and what yarn I want to knit with. Amazon sells all different sizes so I have 2 skein projects up to 8 skein projects.

    ReplyDelete