Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Messed Up Moss: a scarf pattern (republished from February 14, 2009)

This was originally published by me in my Livejournal account on February 14, 2009. Because I plan to delete said account, I need to move it to a new location or let it be lost forever. So.....copied directly from my Livejournal (changes will be in italics afterwards).....

MESSED UP MOSS: February 14, 2009

I've been playing with my knitting again. After I finished a hat (The Cool Girl's Guide to Knitting, page 77: "The Beanie Hat"), I had a bunch of yarn left over from the project. I did it differently than I did the first and second one I did. This means I had a bunch of oatmeal yarn left over...and some green. So, I decided to make a matching scarf. Sort of.

I was looking at a book of mine, Super Stitches Knitting (by Karen Hemingway) and I came across the standard Moss Stitch (K1, P1, etc.). Well, I decided to mess with it a bit, using what I know about how stitches react to each other.

My Messed Up Moss pattern is:

CO 11 stitches

Row 1 & Row 2: Purl every stitch
Row 3/odd rows: K2 P1 K1 P1 K1 P1 K1 P1 K2
Row 4/even rows: P4 K1 P1 K1 P4

At the end, repeat Row 1 and BO last row.

Simple enough, right?


Oh, and not that it matters, but I'm using Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick and #10.5 needles.

This may require more messing about if you're planning to use smaller needles and/or thinner yarn. Or not. Whatever.




So, the pattern itself should look something more like this:

Pattern stitch
Row 1: K2, *P1, K1* (3 times), P1, K2
Row 2: P4, K1, P1, K1, P4

CO 11 stitches (I prefer long-tail but use whatever CO method you like best)

Purl 2 rows at the beginning before starting the pattern stitch.

Repeat pattern stitch rows 1 & 2 to desired length; purl 2 rows at the end and BO. 

I recommend bulky yarn and somewhat larger needle (use whatever needle the yarn calls for). This scarf doesn't tend to curl into itself much so blocking isn't really needed. I also added stripes, obviously. You don't have to do that.



No comments:

Post a Comment