Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Stash Enhancement: Vogue Knitting Live and Other Things

Happy Saturday! It's time for a Stash Enhancement/Acquisition post because....well, obviously it means I acquired new things and we need to show them off :)


Up front, there are a few things I have that I haven't photographed. I suppose we can talk about those first.

I picked up two skeins of Premier Serenity Sock in black. It's nothing fancy. It's just some big box sock yarn in black, mostly for things like cuffs, heels, and toes. They were on sale so I ran with it. I think I got two 50g balls for $1.50 each.

The other one I have failed to photograph (mostly because I'm too lazy to pull it out and actually photograph it) is a skein of yarn I acquired awhile ago. I couldn't tell you exactly when but it has probably been in my closet for at least six months (though I literally just added it to my stash page the other day). It's a skein of Sea Turtle Fiber Arts Ridley Sock in Rainbow Brite. It's a grey color with a rainbow bit at the end. You can see others that are stashed here.



The rest of my acquisitions I've photographed and have added to my RavStash (I think...).

The following five skeins I acquired from Carrie Sullivan. She was posting a destash via Facebook/Instagram and I know her tastes.....so a few pretties came to live with me.


Plucky Knitter Scholar in One Hit Wonder. It's a merino/cashmere worsted weight. I have no idea what i'm going to do with one skein of worsted but I'm sure I can think of something.



Plucky Knitter Primo Worsted (the tag says Primo Aran) in Nightlight. It is a merino/cashmere/nylon blend. This one is screaming at me to become a hat of some sort. We'll see.


Zen Yarn Garden Superwash DK in Chocolate Dipped Strawberries. It's a superwash merino. Generally speaking, this may wind up as a hat but I might use it as a contrast color for some colorwork (if I can find something that everything contrasts with....maybe white?).



Bare Naked Wools Breakfast Blend Fingering in Morning Smoke. It's a merino/alpaca/nylon blend. I don't know about this one. I have a feeling that fingerless mitts may be in this yarn's future but maybe not...maybe some colorwork.......I'm all about the colorwork (I blame Julia Farwell-Clay and the class I took from her at Vogue Knitting Live in San Francisco).



Silver Creek Yarns Superfine Merino in Suede. It's a sport weight merino. This is originally distributed by Ashland Bay, which I really like....but cannot often find. This one hasn't had a conversation about it's adult life yet.



So, five skeins of yarn from Carrie. Oops.


And then Vogue Knitting Live happened......



I went back and forth about this. In the end, the Delores kit came home with me from the Webs booth. It's only available via Webs and it only comes as a kit (meaning I can't just buy the pattern and use yarn I have). It comes with it's own project bag, four skeins of Valley Yarns, her little sunglasses, and the pattern. There were also kits available for her Rhinebeck sweater, designed by Amy Herzog, but I resisted. I also picked up two 16" circular needles from the Webs booth (that I haven't photographed) in US #0 and US #1, both Knitter's Pride.





I visited Brooke in the Sincere Sheep booth because I have no self control sometimes. I had just finished up my class on Fair Isle Knitting and the yarn we used was her Cormo Worsted, which was lovely and delightful to use. So, I picked up two skeins of her Cormo Sport in St. Bart's and Cumulus. Again, I have no self control sometimes.



I'm 99% sure I picked up this skein of Long Dog Yarn Bounce Sock in the Black Squirrel booth. They're a relatively new shop in Berkeley that I've not managed to visit (yet). The colorway is New Growth and it was the last one. It spoke to me. When doesn't yarn speak to me?





Dragon Hoard Yarn and Yarn Cafe Creations were sharing a booth. I picked up one from each of them, though I had some difficulty deciding which ones to get. The Lore Sock from Dragon Hoard Yarn was right on the end and is called Sweater Weather. I think if I hadn't required 2500 yds of worsted to make an actual sweater for myself, I may have considered the worsted weight, instead. But, I got a skein of sock yarn, which is lovely and I can always make socks. The Biscotti Sock I picked up from Yarn Cafe Creations is part of their Autumn Halloween Horror 2018 Collection and is inspired by Poltergeist (and is called Poltergeist), which is one of my favorite horror movies. I went back and forth between the Poltergeist colorway and The Ring colorway. I think The Ring may have been more "me" colors but I've never seen the movie and I love Poltergeist so in the end, Poltergeist won.




Lady Dye Yarns was very new to me and I'm so very glad I found her. She's based in Boston so coming across the country for a show is awesome. I picked up a few things...seriously, who wouldn't want to? The top is the most fabulous project bag, a mini skein and the kit that is laid out in the second photo (and the soap that also goes with the kit). The kit comes with a pattern to make fingerless mitts and the yarn colorway is Summer of Love, which was exclusive to the show in San Francisco. From what I can tell, all the minis are the Superwash Fingering base and I don't know what the green one is called (it miiiiigggggghhhhht be the Oscar colorway but I don't think so). The soap is made by a friend of hers so I was glad to have handmade soap from another small business owner.



The very last item(s) I bought were these two skeins of Neighborhood Fiber Co. Studio Worsted in the Charles Centre colorway, and are 400 yds each. I was looking for a contrast color for the Forest Cardigan and I figured this could go well with the blue I've got. I'll need to wash the blue first, to make sure it's not going to bleed. That's the last thing I'd want to have happen. I'll have plenty of leftover yarn for a hat, at minimum (I'd need, at most, 650 yds, which leaves 150 yds...and that's if I make the grey the main color, and I've not decided whether I'm going to do that or not...I might just because I have more of it than I do of the blue).



So, there's all my recentish acquisitions :) I shouldn't have anything major until Stitches West and that's not until February :)

I hope you're all having a lovely Saturday! I probably won't get to my Year of Projects post until Monday since we're traveling this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Fun stuff you picked up. I'm excited to meet Franklin Habit in February!

    ReplyDelete