Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Year Eight: Self Imposed Year of Projects - More hours, please! (Update #5)

Happy Sunday! Let's get going :) 


FO's (Finished Objects): 
1. Age of Brass & Steam: started 10 August 2018; finished 7 January 2019
2. Sockhead for Little Man: started 29 November 2018; finished 25 January 2019

You will be happy to know that I finished weaving in the ends on my Age of Brass & Steam this week. I even wore it out in public.



No, this is not a lovely photograph of either me or the shawl. But I am finished with it. I also wove in the ends on the Sockhead hat but I haven't taken modeled photos yet. Soon. Probably. Maybe.




WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year):
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini Spinner): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. Clapotis: started 29 June 2018
7. University of Wisconsin Ski Hat: started 28 July 2018 
8. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018
9. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
10. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018
11. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
12. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018
13. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): stared 16 January 2019
14. San Mateo: started 18 January 2019

I honestly did not do a ton of knitting this week. I ripped out the San Mateo cowl again. It's currently on time out until I decide how I want to handle it. Part of my issue is that I need sharper needles so I'm considering pulling out my Knit Picks Interchangeables and using those instead, as they have sharper tips than the needles that I'm currently using. I'm also trying to decide if maybe I need to chose a different pattern. Or just write my own. I'm not opposed to that idea either. Maybe a little of column a and a little of column b or c.....

Outside of ripping out the cowl, I worked on the Ewetopia Stripey Socks. I also wound my contrast yarn, without a swift, during swimming lessons....but it worked and it was fine. Sort of. I probably should have started the task when Little Man started his lesson but I waited until there were maybe fifteen minutes left. Oops. I'm maybe halfway through the leg. I'll have to take a more critical look later, maybe measure against another sock. I know my gauge is a bit different since I'm working on the FlexiFlips. 

Aaaannnnnnd, I finished up another granny square and my second cake of yarn. I also started the next square and cake of yarn, which was lovely. 


Design WIPs  (New section, specifically for design WIPs):
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns 
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Rastarmulke: started 20 November 2017 - write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
10. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)

Nothing new here...which isn't all that surprising.




OMGLSGWTFBBQ Lists

Challenges (this is new for 2019)
1. Knit 2 granny squares a month (average) until I'm out of yarn (for the Granny Square Blanket in my WIP list above - I started with four cakes, I've finished one and started the second...I bought a fifth, however): I am ahead with this challenge as I have finished six squares squares and started the 7th...based on my average, I'm into April with my squares, which is good because February is a messy month. 
2. Knit 1 dishcloth a month (average): I failed at this for January, meaning I need to make two this month to catch up but, like I said above, February is a messy month and I don't expect to get to it. 
3. Submit and/or publish 4 designs this year


Children's Items
1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018)
2. Minecraft Socks for Little Man (fingering weight - Tosh Sock in Plaid Blanket?)
3. Mittens for Stormageddon (probably worsted weight of some sort)
4. Tardis Beanie (worsted weight - Cascade Yarns Venezia in Blue Velvet Grey)
5. Holiday Countdown Stockings (worsted weight - might need to buy yarn for this one...) x2 sets (because 2 children)
6. Smaug Hat (worsted weight - Malabrigo Rios in Archangel)
7. Mirkwood (bulky weight - MadTosh Chunky in either Charcoal or Lowland)

Items for Me (Selfish Knitting FTW!)
1. Fornicating Deer Hat / Basic Lined Hat (worsted weight - Barrett Wool Co. Worsted Weight in Huron & Stationery from Stitches West 2018)
2. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - pick anything 400+ yds, it should work)
3. Brickless (worsted weight - Miss Babs Yowza in Celebration)
4. Nightlock (fingering weight - Sun Valley Fibers Merino/Nylon Fingering in Onyx & Sunshine Yarns Classic Sock in May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor)
5. Honey Badger (fingering weight - one of the BMFA STR that I got from Carrie)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Irisa Cowl (aran weight - pick something 200+ yds and it'll be fine)
8. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
9. Xandu Snowflake Cowl (as a hat; fingering weight - G. Sheller Merino/Silk Fingering in Natural & YOTH Little Brother in Caviar)
10. Spider Slouch (worsted weight - Plucky Scholar in One Hit Wonder)*
11. Moyen Age (fingering weight - Vice Yarns special order)
12. Pop Blanket (worsted weight - box of Knit Picks...may need to order more)
15. Morvarch (fingering weight - Wollmeise that I used the first time)
16. Down the Rabbit Hole (self-stripe fingering weight - White Birch Fiber Arts Merino/Nylon Self-Stripe in Rainbow Ash)
17. Tombreck (Aran weight - hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist or handspun Purple BFL)
18. Stormont (worsted weight - MadTosh 80/10/10 in Molly Ringwald)
19. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
20. Northeasterly (Sock or DK weight - but really, I can use whatever as long as I have enough)* 

Dishcloth Patterns (for Challenges - these are just ideas!)
2. Kitchen Towel (as a washcloth - leave off the top/mirror bottom)
3. Tribble

Designs
1. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
2. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater - Old Navy hooded sweater with cable) - need sketch, grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
3. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
4. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
5. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)

Spinning
5. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)

Dyeing
1. Sock Blanks (10) from Vice Yarns
2. Anything else I find in the stash...or pick up along the way....

Other Fibery Endeavors
1. Stitch markers and/or stitch marker kits
2. Vintage patterns into Rav database & my Rav Library
3. Update inventory of loose patterns & books (spreadsheet & Rav Library)
4. Update inventory of PDF patterns (Rav Library)
5. Update yarn inventory (make sure it's up-to-date)/destash

6. Inventory project bags (Erin Lane, I'm looking at you)
7. Get the Etsy Shop up and running with all the things!



I'm not going to lie: this week has been busier than normal. So busy, in fact, that the only photographs I took this week were of me in the shawl (seen above) and a spider that I found in my bathroom the other morning. That's it. Nothing else. But, like I said, it was a busier than normal week so a lot happened.

Stormageddon had his usual events: speech therapy on Monday & Thursday, and swimming lessons on Tuesday. Little Man had his usual events: swimming lessons on Thursday and school all week. Husband and I had to muck around to make our schedules work. He skived off work early on Tuesday so we could take care of our couch. We rented a U-Haul, pulled into said U-Haul, and tried to take care of it. Sadly, were disappointed in Ikea for their "warranty" on furniture. We bought a couch in 2015, less than 4 years ago, and the seams are splitting on the seat but nowhere else on the couch. It has a 10 year warranty. But no, it really doesn't. If it was a manufacturing issue or a recall or whatever, then yes, it has a warranty...but "normal wear and tear" isn't covered. Honestly, it was partly wear and tear because it's a couch...people sit on it....but both cushion seams were splitting even though it's primarily used only on one side and no other seams were splitting, even though the back and arms get knocked around as much as the seat. In short, we went in with a couch that supposedly had a warranty and left without a couch at all. We are down a couch in our house, which actually suits us pretty well right now. 

Wednesday, we had a friend fly in from Los Angeles. We thought he was coming Thursday. The date change wasn't a big deal other than everything that was planned Thursday....but we still went ahead with Thursday's plans. Husband had a corporate work event he went to (translation: he drank beer in the box at the Golden State Warriors game with work people), Little Man had swimming lessons, and then I had a PTA budget meeting...the boys came along (luckily they had childcare available). Our friend went to visit other friends across the Bay. It all worked out. Friday, Husband and his friend went up to Russian River Brewery for the release of Pliny the Younger, which apparently happens in February every year. That's actually why he flew up here in the first place. So they did that, I had the boys...Little Man had a birthday party that night, and in between everything else this week, we needed to buy & wrap birthday presents, do homework, read, make a trip to Costco, and I was doing a lot of auction work this week. In fact, I spent most of Friday morning dealing with physical items and the rest of the day working on the software. ::sigh:: All was well, though. We survived the week. I think. 

Our friend heads back to Los Angeles today. My post next week may be delayed until Monday. Next weekend is when we put all our baskets together for the auction so I'll be at school all weekend. We'll see how things go. I may be able to sneak it in but don't count on it. 

I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend! 

3 comments:

  1. Your Brass and Steam looks cozy! Love the red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Brass and Steam. Looks super warm and cozy. Boo for Ikea and the non-warranty. Having never tried their soft furniture, I did not know how it would hold up. Now I do. I know their bookcases and other had furniture, we have had fantastic luck with. Sounds like the auction preparing is going quite well. Hopefully this weekend will help to solidify quite a bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always entertaining in your selfies. That is a terrific red on you.

    ReplyDelete