Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Year Eight: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Well, that was a bit unexpected (Update #4)

Happy Sunday! Today's post is brought to you by Caffeine! Caffeine! The only way to get it all done and not fall asleep while doing so! Have you had yours today?


FO's (Finished Objects): 
1. Age of Brass & Steam: started 10 August 2018; finished 7 January 2019
2. Sockhead for Little Man: started 29 November 2018; finished 25 January 2019

I unexpectedly finished the Sockhead hat this week. I even wove in the ends and washed it (it's still currently drying)...not that I've trimmed the ends but that's another issue. At least it's done. I brought it to swimming lessons this past week and wound up actually finishing it. It's not as long as it could have been but Little Man didn't want it super long. So, it's just a teensy bit slouchy for him. Bonus: I have about half the ball of yarn left. I may have to make him something else to go with it...maybe. We'll see. 

The Age of Brass & Steam....well, I loooooked at weaving in the ends.......still haven't done it. I probably should because I want to wear it!




WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year):
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini Spinner): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. Clapotis: started 29 June 2018
7. University of Wisconsin Ski Hat: started 28 July 2018 
8. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018
9. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
10. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018
11. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
12. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018
13. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): stared 16 January 2019
14. San Mateo: started 18 January 2019

This week involved a few projects. Obviously the Sockhead was one of them. I also worked on my Ewetopia Stripey Socks. I decided on a contrast color for the heels/toes this week. I needed to do some work in the yarn closet and I found some of my minis that I bought for the purpose of doing contrast heels/toes...and I chose one. It's an off-white color. The black didn't work too well...it just didn't look right. I actually wound up stress-knitting on these on Friday afternoon.

I also did some spinning on Viktor, with the blue merino. Not a lot....maybe an hour or so on Monday. I need to weight the remaining fiber so I can decide if/when I need to switch to a different bobbin.

The San Mateo cowl was started again...and frogged...and I've restarted again but I'm in the middle of the cast on and it's kind of on a mini-break until I have time where I'm not totally stressed. It may wind up waiting until late February....we'll see. I just don't want the cast on to be too tight because that kind of defeats the purpose. So, we'll see.

But that was it, I swear!



Design WIPs  (New section, specifically for design WIPs):
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns 
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Rastarmulke: started 20 November 2017 - write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
10. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)

Um.....I wore my Paradiddle Socks this week. Does that count? Probably not. Oh well. Moving along :) 





OMGLSGWTFBBQ Lists

Challenges (this is new for 2019)
1. Knit 2 granny squares a month (average) until I'm out of yarn (for the Granny Square Blanket in my WIP list above - I started with four cakes, I've finished one and started the second...I bought a fifth, however): I am ahead with this challenge as I have finished five squares and started the 6th...but as not noted above, I didn't work on this this past week.
2. Knit 1 dishcloth a month (average)
3. Submit and/or publish 4 designs this year


Children's Items
1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018)
2. Minecraft Socks for Little Man (fingering weight - Tosh Sock in Plaid Blanket?)
3. Mittens for Stormageddon (probably worsted weight of some sort)
4. Tardis Beanie (worsted weight - Cascade Yarns Venezia in Blue Velvet Grey)
5. Holiday Countdown Stockings (worsted weight - might need to buy yarn for this one...) x2 sets (because 2 children)
6. Smaug Hat (worsted weight - Malabrigo Rios in Archangel)
7. Mirkwood (bulky weight - MadTosh Chunky in either Charcoal or Lowland)

Items for Me (Selfish Knitting FTW!)
1. Fornicating Deer Hat / Basic Lined Hat (worsted weight - Barrett Wool Co. Worsted Weight in Huron & Stationery from Stitches West 2018)
2. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - pick anything 400+ yds, it should work)
3. Brickless (worsted weight - Miss Babs Yowza in Celebration)
4. Nightlock (fingering weight - Sun Valley Fibers Merino/Nylon Fingering in Onyx & Sunshine Yarns Classic Sock in May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor)
5. Honey Badger (fingering weight - one of the BMFA STR that I got from Carrie)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Irisa Cowl (aran weight - pick something 200+ yds and it'll be fine)
8. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
9. Xandu Snowflake Cowl (as a hat; fingering weight - G. Sheller Merino/Silk Fingering in Natural & YOTH Little Brother in Caviar)
10. Spider Slouch (worsted weight - Plucky Scholar in One Hit Wonder)*
11. Moyen Age (fingering weight - Vice Yarns special order)
12. Pop Blanket (worsted weight - box of Knit Picks...may need to order more)
15. Morvarch (fingering weight - Wollmeise that I used the first time)
16. Down the Rabbit Hole (self-stripe fingering weight - White Birch Fiber Arts Merino/Nylon Self-Stripe in Rainbow Ash)
17. Tombreck (Aran weight - hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist or handspun Purple BFL)
18. Stormont (worsted weight - MadTosh 80/10/10 in Molly Ringwald)
19. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
20. Northeasterly (Sock or DK weight - but really, I can use whatever as long as I have enough)* 

Dishcloth Patterns (for Challenges - these are just ideas!)
2. Kitchen Towel (as a washcloth - leave off the top/mirror bottom)
3. Tribble

Designs
1. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
2. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater - Old Navy hooded sweater with cable) - need sketch, grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
3. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
4. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
5. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)

Spinning
5. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)

Dyeing
1. Sock Blanks (10) from Vice Yarns
2. Anything else I find in the stash...or pick up along the way....

Other Fibery Endeavors
1. Stitch markers and/or stitch marker kits
2. Vintage patterns into Rav database & my Rav Library
3. Update inventory of loose patterns & books (spreadsheet & Rav Library)
4. Update inventory of PDF patterns (Rav Library)
5. Update yarn inventory (make sure it's up-to-date)/destash
6. Inventory project bags (Erin Lane, I'm looking at you)
7. Get the Etsy Shop up and running with all the things!



This week was busy (isn't every week busy at my house?)! We started out the week in the rain last weekend. On Sunday, we went to Chabot Space & Science Center, which is up in the hills of Oakland. It was kind of a perfect activity for a rainy, foggy day. 



The bubbles were filled with dry ice smoke, which both boys liked.

We followed that with a show in the Planetarium. Little Man and I, both prone to motion sickness, had to close our eyes a couple of times.




After the Planetarium, we went through some of the exhibits. Stormageddon was scared of the one below. He didn't like the fake astronaut inside. He thought it was real. It makes sense as he's only four years old.



Other ones, though, he was perfectly happy to explore (with our without Little Man).






I'm not entirely sure what this statue is supposed to be. It's outside, and you can see how foggy it was. We also saw a huge banana slug. I didn't take a photograph, though.

We spent the rest of Sunday and a good chunk of Monday working on cleaning Little Man's room, which is not anywhere near as exciting as it sounds. With the new mouse in the house (bastard!), we need to clean up better again. His room was a mess.....but no evidence of the mouse having been in there, which is good. As long as he can keep it clean, it should be fine. I'll be working on Stormageddon's later today. His was put on hold for various other reasons but I'll have to work on it today. 

Tuesday night, Husband and I had a date night...sort of. One of the vendors he deals with took a group out to dinner, including us, at a place called the Lazy Bear. I didn't take very many photos (Husband took a bunch)....but there were like fourteen different courses from appetizers through dessert. It was really good. 






They have little Pooh Bears all over the place, which is adorable. Unfortunately, my eyes started itching while we were there and by the time we got home, my right eye was swollen from something (no idea what set it off). That didn't wear off until Friday afternoon, really. I couldn't get my contacts in on Wednesday morning, which kind of sucked. Oh well.

Thursday, I had a root canal...and then Friday, I had the temporary crown placed. So, my mouth is still sore and my jaw is achy. I know it'll wear off but it still sucks. But, it is definitely delightful to not have pain all over when I drink something hot or cold. In addition to that, Little Man had both swimming lessons and a Cub Scout Den meeting on Thursday...so much pain. 




He is such a goober sometimes. They talked about campfire safety, sang a couple of campfire songs ("Do Your Ears Hang Low" and "Black Socks") and did little skits. I have the video of the one Little Man and his friend did but I'm not going to post it. He is truly a ham, though. 

By the time Friday rolled around, I was ready for the weekend. I did a bunch of auction-related work on Friday, some stress knitting that afternoon/evening, and yesterday, I had a lovely afternoon with a couple other moms I know and we made vision boards. Apparently my years' vision is all about controlled chaos....lots of pictures of perfect desk/writing spaces, lots of color and yarny things (which was funny since we were looking through not yarn-related magazines)....but it was lovely to not be around my kids for a few hours and just focus on me. 

Of course, it means I came home to having a bunch of auction-related work to deal with (which I'll still be doing today)....but there you have it.


I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend :) 

7 comments:

  1. I was going to say I don’t know how you juggle all this going on, but then remembered your comment about caffeine! I look forward to seeing your spinning photos, it’s a good idea to weigh what’s left I spun, I feel a total numpty to have been trying to guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weeks always seem so busy! I had a short week...no school Monday for MLK holiday, no school Tuesday, weather-related...came home early Friday with a stomach bug....but I have been knitting a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely had coffee, I find it hard to function without! Well done on your finishes and blocking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.....love the space science center photos. We have been to a few of them and always find them fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm coming off of too much caffeine from the weekend. Feeling draggy this morning and resolved to not do that again. I have to say, I find that astronaut creepy looking and I'm old enough to know better. And what on earth are those green globules that look like paperweights on what looks like a dessert tray? What a fun night out that sounds like. Well, except for the swollen eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have had a rough week for sure....you need a spa vacation all by yourself. I remember The Age of Brass and Steam was one of the first shawls I ever faved on Ravelry. Good for you! The sock head is another hat I'd like to make too. The restaurant sounds like a fun experience. Hope things are easier on you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your schedule makes my head spin. What a fun space center and a perfect place for your boys. Owie on the root canal and sorry you had an allergic eye. Hope you're way better by now.

    ReplyDelete