Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, February 24, 2019

Year Eight: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - I *KNOW* There Was a Week There Somewhere! (Update #8)

Happy Sunday!

I'm actually writing this on a Sunday for once, which is probably why it's so late this week. We'll get to all my excuses in a moment...for now, let's see what's been happening :)


FO's (Finished Objects): 
1. Age of Brass & Steam: started 10 August 2018; finished 7 January 2019
2. Sockhead for Little Man: started 29 November 2018; finished 25 January 2019

I wore my Age of Brass & Steam....does that count? No? Damn. Move along, move along...




WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year):
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini Spinner): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. Clapotis: started 29 June 2018
7. University of Wisconsin Ski Hat: started 28 July 2018 
8. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018
9. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
10. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018
11. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
12. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018
13. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): stared 16 January 2019
14. Cowl for Miss Sylvie: started 18 January 2019

Admittedly, there was a lot going on this past week so my knitting time was limited. I did work a bit on the Cowl for Miss Sylvie. I've actually gotten past the ribbing and have started the actual pattern portion, which is lovely. That was all I worked on, though. I looked at a few projects....didn't actually do any work though. And I wound yarn for another project (that I've not started yet). So, I've got that going for me. 



Design WIPs  (New section, specifically for design WIPs):
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns 
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Rastarmulke: started 20 November 2017 - write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
10. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)

I feel like I should add something to the Unnamed Hat Design....the cowl that I'm making for Stormageddon's speech therapist is also based on this same design. I might have to make it a two-fer. Or something. We'll see.




OMGLSGWTFBBQ Lists

Challenges (this is new for 2019)
1. Knit 2 granny squares a month (average) until I'm out of yarn (for the Granny Square Blanket in my WIP list above - I started with four cakes, I've finished two and started the third...I bought a fifth, though, for more choices): I am ahead with this challenge as I have finished six squares squares and started the 7th...and that's good because February is a messy month...so, based on my average of two squares per month, I'm into April.  
2. Knit 1 dishcloth a month (average): I failed at this for January, meaning I need to make two this month to catch up but, like I said above, February is a messy month and I don't expect to get to it. Maybe three in March or four in April? Only time will tell!
3. Submit and/or publish 4 designs this year

Children's Items
1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018)
2. Minecraft Socks for Little Man (fingering weight - Tosh Sock in Plaid Blanket?)
3. Mittens for Stormageddon (probably worsted weight of some sort)
4. Tardis Beanie (worsted weight - Cascade Yarns Venezia in Blue Velvet Grey)
5. Holiday Countdown Stockings (worsted weight - might need to buy yarn for this one...) x2 sets (because 2 children)
6. Smaug Hat (worsted weight - Malabrigo Rios in Archangel)
7. Mirkwood (bulky weight - MadTosh Chunky in either Charcoal or Lowland)

Items for Me (Selfish Knitting FTW!)
1. Fornicating Deer Hat / Basic Lined Hat (worsted weight - Barrett Wool Co. Worsted Weight in Huron & Stationery from Stitches West 2018)
2. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - pick anything 400+ yds, it should work)
3. Brickless (worsted weight - Miss Babs Yowza in Celebration)
4. Nightlock (fingering weight - Sun Valley Fibers Merino/Nylon Fingering in Onyx & Sunshine Yarns Classic Sock in May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor)
5. Honey Badger (fingering weight - one of the BMFA STR that I got from Carrie)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Irisa Cowl (aran weight - pick something 200+ yds and it'll be fine)
8. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
9. Xandu Snowflake Cowl (as a hat; fingering weight - G. Sheller Merino/Silk Fingering in Natural & YOTH Little Brother in Caviar)
10. Spider Slouch (worsted weight - Plucky Scholar in One Hit Wonder)*
11. Moyen Age (fingering weight - Vice Yarns special order)
12. Pop Blanket (worsted weight - box of Knit Picks...may need to order more)
15. Morvarch (fingering weight - Wollmeise that I used the first time)
16. Down the Rabbit Hole (self-stripe fingering weight - White Birch Fiber Arts Merino/Nylon Self-Stripe in Rainbow Ash)
17. Tombreck (Aran weight - hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist or handspun Purple BFL)
18. Stormont (worsted weight - MadTosh 80/10/10 in Molly Ringwald)
19. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
20. Northeasterly (Sock or DK weight - but really, I can use whatever as long as I have enough)* 

Dishcloth Patterns (for Challenges - these are just ideas!)
2. Kitchen Towel (as a washcloth - leave off the top/mirror bottom)
3. Tribble

Designs
1. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
2. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater - Old Navy hooded sweater with cable) - need sketch, grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
3. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
4. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
5. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)

Spinning
5. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)

Dyeing
1. Sock Blanks (10) from Vice Yarns
2. Anything else I find in the stash...or pick up along the way....

Other Fibery Endeavors
1. Stitch markers and/or stitch marker kits
2. Vintage patterns into Rav database & my Rav Library
3. Update inventory of loose patterns & books (spreadsheet & Rav Library)
4. Update inventory of PDF patterns (Rav Library)
5. Update yarn inventory (make sure it's up-to-date)/destash
6. Inventory project bags (Erin Lane, I'm looking at you)
7. Get the Etsy Shop up and running with all the things!


This past week has been.....well, it's been a week, let's just say that. Monday was a holiday in the US (Presidents' Day). Honestly, I find it to be a ridiculous holiday in this day & age. But, it's still a recognized federal holiday so Husband was off work, and the boys didn't have school/speech therapy. 





Husband turned on Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Monday evening. This is how the boys watched the movie. 

Tuesday......oh Tuesday........Tuesday was not a good parenting day for me and I feel like an absolutely awful parent. Like truly terrible parent. Still. He had swimming lessons and he was not listening and, as a result, he was doing some very unsafe things (jumping off the bench/edge into the pool when he wasn't supposed to - meaning no one was there to help him get back to where he needed to be). I finally had had it and I hauled him out of the pool early. He screamed and kicked and cried and fought me and I had him in a vice grip because he was wet and slippery and it was just not a good time. It was an absolutely awful experience. I'm tempted to pull him from lessons entirely. 

He had been happier earlier in the day, though....





Thankfully, Wednesday was a much better day. 





We went to the cafe across from Little Man's school. He did the caterpillar puzzle a couple times. Then we made our way home, smelling flowers along the way.







It was just a better day, overall. For that, I am thankful. 

Wednesday afternoon, we had friends fly in from Wisconsin. She was one of my college roommates....and she married one of Husband's best friends. It's 100% our fault. She's almost six feet tall and her "requirement" for being in our wedding was that the groomsman had to be taller than her....and only this one fit the bill. So, they're married (just over 7 years now). Anyway, they flew in on Wednesday, managed to miss the major snowstorm that went through this week, and all was well. They actually got in a bit later than we were expecting but that's part of what happens when you fly standby. 

Thursday, we had to go about our normal day, for the most part. Stormageddon had speech therapy and, unfortunately, they had an earthquake drill while we were there. I've never done an earthquake drill because I'm from the Midwest...there are no earthquakes there really. Tornado drills are totally a thing...but not earthquake drills. 





After we did the inside part (under the table, hands over the back of our necks, etc.), we had to go outside and wait in lines with our teachers. Stormageddon did really well. It was a new experience for him. 

That night, the six of us went to House of Prime Rib in San Francisco. 







The boys got ice cream after dinner. Well, Stormageddon didn't really eat any dinner but that's not the point. He got ice cream. 

Friday.....oh, I loved Friday......





You may notice that I'm being a total fashion victim here. I'm wearing my handknit socks in my everyday running around shoes. Total fashion victim. Also, don't care. This weekend was Stitches West and my college roommate, Stormageddon, and I went and did all the things. Well, as many of the things as we could do while Stormageddon allowed.....and he didn't allow it for very long (which is why I went back yesterday with Little Man). 




Obligatory selfie (Stefanie took it). We were also joined by another Stephanie, a neighbor of mine (she lives a couple blocks away from me and has a PhD in entomology). We wandered here and there, occasionally finding one another along the way. We did meet up again for lunch, however. 





Because it was lunchtime, there were no tables...so we plopped down on the floor, as one does. 

We left soon after that because Stormageddon was just done for the day. It was fine, though. I haven't photographed my acquisitions yet. I'll get around to it. 




We took a selfie when we stopped at the school to pick up a couple of things. That was lovely. We didn't get Little Man, which led to some confusion about a half hour later when the school called to double-check that he was going home with a friend that day (he was - we weren't planning to be back so early). Oops. 

Friday night, Stephanie (the Beetlelady), College Roommate, and I went back for the Pajama Party. We can't talk about it though. I did come home with some yarn from said party...




That is a skein of Anzula Vera, which is a silk & linen blend. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. When I went back yesterday, I looked a bit for a contrast color and saw a couple of FOs...it doesn't soften up a lot but the drape is amazing. So, nothing that's going to go close to my face/head or on my hands. I'll come up with something. Maybe. Yeah. 

I also have a hank of Red Heart Dreamy, which is an acrylic but it has a crazy amount of halo, almost like a mohair blend. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that either but I feel like it's going to make several hats and I might even keep one or two. 

That leads me to yesterday.....when I took Little Man to Stitches West. But, before that, we went to an activity at Little Man's school. A few times every year, there is an event where parents and students assemble and work to clean up the school grounds. Little Man and I went for a couple hours yesterday morning. I'm paying for it today but that's okay. After we were done there, he and I went back to Stitches West while everyone else went to Half Moon Bay and the beach. Apparently Stormageddon wanted to go in his swimsuit...and then got cold ocean water on his feet and decided that was a bad idea. 





Honestly, that's about it........



I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend :) 

5 comments:

  1. I love how you end it ..that's about it... you have such a busy life and cram so much in and sounds like you do lots to enrich your family's life. I hope they appreciate you. Don't worry about the pool incident, hopefully next time will be better. Oh and if you are over on granny squares then that balances with being under on dish cloths. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had such a rough week but glad Stitches West and a friend visiting made up for it. Good job on the granny squares and I too am behind on dishcloths. Good to see Stefanie too! Have a better week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did have a busy week. (And you're not an awful parent -- safety first! Imagine how you would have felt if he had hurt himself.) Stitches West sounds like fun! I've never done a yarn festival but some day... And your fashion sense seems spot on to me -- handknit socks go with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you moved on from your swimming pool moment. As parents we have all had them. I love seeing all the things you and your boys get into. Silk and linen blend? Sounds like heaven and I love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED seeing you and thank you very much for getting back to me and letting me cut in line.

    ReplyDelete