Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, August 4, 2019

Year Eight: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - The more things change (Update #31)

Happy Sunday! I'm a little late today....meaning that I'm writing this on Sunday as opposed to the night before. But, that's fine because I'm pretty sure it's still Sunday....



FO's (Finished Objects): 

1. Age of Brass & Steam: started 10 August 2018; finished 7 January 2019
2. Sockhead for Little Man: started 29 November 2018; finished 25 January 2019
3. Cowl for Miss Sylvie: started 18 January 2019; finished 9 April 2019
4. Vanilla Fingerless Mitts: started 16 May 2019; finished 24 June 2019
5. Dishcloth: started 9 July 2019; finished 16 July 2019
6. Clapotis: started 29 June 2018; frogged 16 July 2019

Nothing new to s
ee here. Move along now, Sir. I don't know that I'm going to finish anything for awhile but, you know, I can dream and such.




WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year)
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini Spinner): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 201
6. University of Wisconsin Ski Hat: started 28 July 2018 
7. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018
8. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
9. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018
10. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
11. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018
12. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): stared 16 January 2019
13. Prototype Something Something Raindrops: started 11 April 2019
14. Dishcloth: started 16 July 2019
15. Hufflepuff Hat: started 31 July 2019

With the surgery on Tuesday, I didn't do a ton of knitting this week. But, because I have no shame, I started another project. I caught the Hufflepuff Hat on Facebook, tracked it down in Ravelry, knew that I had appropriate yarn available, and cast on on Harry Potter's birthday. It's an acrylic yarn that I bought for a project awhile ago and wound up with way too much so I've got some hats I can make with it. The Hufflepuff Hat being one of them. I don't know if it's going to be mine or Little Man's or if we are going to share or.....yeah. I just started. I'm only on the ribbing section right now. I did some alterations to the colorwork chart and I might change it again. I'll have to see. I'll probably throw a lifeline in after the ribbing section and try out the chart. Because I definitely need more colorwork in my life, apparently. 

Aside from the new project, I worked a bit on a granny square and I think I finished another one earlier in the week but, really, so much has happened that I don't even know. I do know that I worked on one and that's delightful. 

Oh, and I started the toe on my first of the Ewetopia Stripey Sock. I'm doing contrast heels and toes because the yardage on the main color just isn't quite enough for two full socks. Also, I had a good contrasting color for those socks (Leading Men Fiber Arts Show Stopper), which made it easier. I have a yarn that I've used as contrast for cuffs, heels, and toes before but it's almost a light fingering and I'm not sure I like it for that purpose. So the Leading Men Fiber Arts is about the same color but it's an actual fingering weight, which works better for me overall. 

I may have also worked on my Abracadabra Socks but I honestly don't remember. Let's just say I did and call it good, yeah?



Design WIPs  (New section, specifically for design WIPs):
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns 
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Rastarmulke: started 20 November 2017 - write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
10. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)


Let's just move along now...keep 'er moovin'.



OMGLSGWTFBBQ Lists


Challenges (this is new for 2019)
1. Knit 1 granny square a month (average) until I'm out of yarn (for the Granny Square Blanket in my WIP list above):It's AUGUST! I think I finished my 10th square and started my 11th but, honestly, I don't know. Let's just say I did and keep it moving :) 
2. Submit and/or publish 2 designs this year. I'm not having high hopes for this but we'll see what happens.



Children's Items
1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018)
2. Minecraft Socks for Little Man (fingering weight - Tosh Sock in Plaid Blanket?)
3. Mittens for Stormageddon (probably worsted weight of some sort)
4. Tardis Beanie (worsted weight - Cascade Yarns Venezia in Blue Velvet Grey)



Items for Me (Selfish Knitting FTW!)
1. Fornicating Deer Hat / Basic Lined Hat (worsted weight - Barrett Wool Co. Worsted Weight in Huron & Stationery from Stitches West 2018)
2. Brickless (worsted weight - Miss Babs Yowza in Celebration)
3. Nightlock (fingering weight - Sun Valley Fibers Merino/Nylon Fingering in Onyx & Sunshine Yarns Classic Sock in May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor)
4. Honey Badger (fingering weight - one of the BMFA STR that I got from Carrie)
5. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
6. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
7. Xandu Snowflake Cowl (as a hat; fingering weight - G. Sheller Merino/Silk Fingering in Natural & YOTH Little Brother in Caviar)
8. Pop Blanket (worsted weight - box of Knit Picks...may need to order more)
9. Tombreck (Aran weight - hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist or handspun Purple BFL)
10. Stormont (worsted weight - MadTosh 80/10/10 in Molly Ringwald)
11. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
12. Northeasterly (Sock or DK weight - but really, I can use whatever as long as I have enough)* 


Designs
1. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
2. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater - Old Navy hooded sweater with cable) - need sketch, grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
3. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
4. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
5. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)



Spinning
5. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)


Dyeing
1. Sock Blanks (10) from Vice Yarns
2. Anything else I find in the stash...or pick up along the way....


Other Fibery Endeavors
1. Stitch markers and/or stitch marker kits
2. Vintage patterns into Rav database & my Rav Library
3. Update inventory of loose patterns & books (spreadsheet & Rav Library)
4. Update inventory of PDF patterns (Rav Library)
5. Update yarn inventory (make sure it's up-to-date)/destash
6. Inventory project bags (Erin Lane, I'm looking at you)
7. Get the Etsy Shop up and running with all the things! Or something. Maybe not an Etsy shop...




This week has been.....well, it's been a week. I had surgery on Tuesday for the umbilical hernia I got while pregnant with Stormageddon. The surgery itself lasted maybe 45 minutes from the time I plopped myself on the OR table til I woke up. I had the OR crew laughing quite a bit, which is always lovely. We were discussing what music to listen to and why my arms needed to be loosely strapped down (so I didn't try to help with surgery if I woke up partway through)....and then I woke up from a really screwed up dream with the surgery finished. I hung around, ate some graham crackers and apple juice, got dressed, Husband picked me up, and off I went. 

It's been slow-going. I'm on a 10 lb lifting restriction, so I can basically lift a gallon of milk and that's it. It's also difficult to sleep so I've not been sleeping well. I've been a side-sleeper since...well, quite awhile. I also sleep on my stomach quite a bit (that's gotten more frequent in the last year or so). Soooo, sleep is uncomfortable. I'm sleeping in a semi-reclined position. It is getting better but I'm still awake half the night. I'm amazed I'm even functional during the day. 

The boys have been....well, Little Man is going stir crazy. I can't drive as long as I'm on the narcotics they gave me for pain and walking long distances isn't really in the cards either. So, no parks or anything. He's been pretty good. He had a playdate Thursday afternoon and tomorrow he's going to the Tech Museum in San Jose with friends. That will help. Stormageddon is pretty good for the most part. He constantly wants to play video games but what else is new? Thankfully school starts in a little over a week. I can't believe I'm saying that. 

I took this photo the other day of the boys in the chair. The only boy missing is the dog (he was outside doing his business, by which I mean he was being extremely lazy and watching the birds). 






I'm pretty sure this is Little Man. It's hard to tell when I can't see faces...but I'm pretty sure he wore that shirt this week. He was hiding under my blanket for some reason. 




Apparently he likes to hide under blankets quite a bit. Meh. Whatever. It's because Husband used to walk around with a sheet wrapped around himself. Now both boys will walk around with blankets wrapped around themselves. Oh well.




Husband has been babbling about Moose & Squirrel for several weeks....months, maybe. He finally pulled out a squirrel shirt for Little Man and now, apparently, we have Rocky and Bullwinkle in our house. I dunno. Moose & Squirrel. 

Lastly, our roommate made us dinner last night....and Little Man was interested in helping. So, he had a cooking lesson. He helped chop up cucumbers for a taziki sauce. 





And after all that work, he didn't want to eat any of what he helped make. Silly boy. To be fair, he's still somewhat picky about veggies. I will say that he likes broccoli and carrots, at least. 

Anyway, it's been a week. Husband is actually heading to San Jose right now to buy a new smoker. We have been limping along on it for awhile now but it finally bit the big one. Luckily, work will be paying for it...but he still has to go get it and I can't help him move it. ::sigh:: 

I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend :) 

7 comments:

  1. Oooh. I know nothing about it, but a umbilical hernia sounds like it might be painful. I had to chuckle at your humor as you went into surgery. I was terrified when I went in for surgery a few years ago. I practically begged them to not use conscious sedation. They assured me I'd be fine. Well, evidently, I wasn't and they had to put me under completely. I never asked what I did to convince them, but I've always wondered. Your suggestion that you might help your team with the surgery makes me wonder if I wasn't grabbing tubes or swatting hands away, or maybe trying to climb right off the table... Heal up! I hope you're back to normal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you continue to heal smoothly despite your restrictions. Hugs, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack on the surgery but I hope it heals up quickly. Your boys are adorable but I'm sure they're hard to entertain when you are laid up. I'm looking forward to seeing your colorwork Hufflepuff Hat! And yay on granny squares, you know I'm a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you had surgery and then "walked out"! Ouch! I hope you are on the mend soon and get a good nights sleep. I am a side/tummy sleeper too so I totally understand. Love your projects and the Hufflepuff hat looks like it will be a real hit. Glad all went well and thank goodness yarn is not over 10 lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me chuckle with the can’t remember and move along bits, when I got to the bottom ai now understand. Lack of sleep definitely affects memory, I hope you soon find it easier to sleep and recover from your op.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you speedy healing. Time to buy smaller jugs of milk! Love the pics of your boys especially the sleeping ones - peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Healing wishes sent your way-- be gentle with yourself! There are some wacky meds out there that is for sure. I woke up during my endoscopy and colonoscopy this past winter-- two times-- and I was not pleased! I hope now that we are in the middle of the week this finds you even peppier than when you posted on Sunday!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete