Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Friday, July 24, 2020

FO Friday!

Today's Secret Word is: FO Friday!

Do you know what to do when someone says the Secret Word? You don't? Oh, I can tell you. When someone says the Secret Word, you SCREAM REAL LOUD!

Happy Friday! And if it's Friday, that means it's time for another edition of FO Friday! [insert screaming really loud] In this case, it's a two-fer because that's just how I'm going to roll today!


Oread Beanie (link to Project Page)


Pattern: Oread Beanie by Ashleigh Annereau
Time Frame: started 2 July 2020; finished 11 July 2020
Yarn: Hand Dyed Superwash Merino DK in Observatory, less than one skein
Needles: US#5 (3.75 mm) 16" circular & US#7 (4.5 mm) DPNs and 16" circular
Size: M-XL Adult
Modifications: As this was a test knit, I didn't make any modifications other than the bind-off, which I'm still not happy with.
Thoughts: This hat is knit from the crown downward, which is only problematic because I had to restart it at least three times before I could get it going in the round properly without dropping stitches. The pattern is pretty straight-forward. The only issues I had were with my row gauge and my bindoff. My row gauge was off, and that's important because if you want your hat to be X" long total, you need to know where to start the lace pattern portion if your row gauge is off. So, mine is a titch shorter than I would like because the pattern assumes your row gauge is on (it's fine - one of the kids will steal it anyway). The bind-off, as I mentioned, I'ms till not entirely happy with. I finished the knitting on 11 July but the bind-off was done later, pulled back out, redone differently, and I'm still not happy with it. I think I'll leave it alone as it's not something I can't live with but I think if I had done a stretchy bind-off, it would be fine. I originally did it in the ribbing pattern but it looked weird so I pulled it out and did my regular bind-off, though significantly looser than I usually do. That's where it is right now. It's a quick knit, which is helpful as I didn't have a lot of time between things. 


Prototype Raindrops Something Something (link to Project Page)


Pattern: I haven't named this one yet (and yes, I designed it)
Time Frame: started 11 April 2019; finished 18 July 2020
Yarn: Shalimar Yarns Breathless in Passion Fruit, less than one skein
Needles: US#4 (3.5 mm) 24" circulars
Size: Smaller of the two sizes
Modifications: None, it's my pattern.
Thoughts: Now that I've made the larger version and the smaller version in sock yarn, it's time to make the worsted weight versions. Then I'll get the pattern written properly. Or maybe I'll just write the fingering weight versions and do an additional when I get the worsted weight ones done. I haven't decided yet. I think I may actually wear this one as it's not too tight around my neck. That was the issue I had with a cowl I finished that was far too tight. I won't wear it because I feel like I'm being strangled. ::sigh:: This one, though, this one I might actually wear instead of just design. The original iteration of this (the longer version) was gifted last year to Stormageddon's speech therapist but this one is mine. Regardless, the time has come to write patterns. So, look for that at some point.

There you have it. Another FO Friday [insert screaming really loud]!

1 comment:

  1. Like the new beanie. That would be me too...restarting it a few b/c of the fiddly stitches.

    ReplyDelete