Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Monday, November 16, 2020

Year NINE: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - If I had a dollar for every time..... (Update #46)

 Yes. I know it's Monday. Again. If I had a dollar for every time I said I would post on time, I might have enough for a few trips to Starbucks.....

But, enough about that. Let's get going on the update because that's really why we're here, right?




FOs (Finished Objects):

1. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018; finished 29 January 2020
2. Tiny Turtle: started 7 November 2019; finished 30 January 2020
3. Mirkwood: started 9 February 2020; finished 17 February 2020
4. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018; frogged 9 April 2020
5. Sockhead: started 8 January 2020; finished 25 May 2020
6. Baby Yoda: started 14 March 2020; finished 13 June 2020
7. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018; finished 18 June 2020
8. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): started 16 January 2019; finished 30 June 2020
9. Oread Hat (test knit): started 2 July 2020; finished 11 July 2020
10. Prototype Something Something Raindrops: started 11 April 2019; finished 18 July 2020
11. Rose City Rollers: started 18 June 2020; finished 4 August 2020
12. Prototype Something Something (worsted): started 5 September 2020; finished 6 September 2020
13.
Prototype Something Something cowl: started 11 September 2020; finished 17 October 2020

Nothing finished yet. Maybe for next week's post :) 

 

 

WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year if needed):

1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
10. Greenwood Fiberworks Dark BFL (Viktor): started 28 June 2020
11. Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
12. Minecraft Socks: started 12 August 2020
13. Basic Fingerless Mitts: started 6 September 2020
14. Come Sail Away: started 17 October 2020

Admittedly, I haven't done a ton of knitting but I've done some, which is always good. I'm almost finished with the second row of boat blocks on Come Sail Away. I'm thinking about winding my third ball of yarn to start alternating but that might be overkill yet...maybe I should just wind it so I'm ready. 

I also pulled the fingerless mitts out and started working on them again. I was still working on the ribbing on the cuff when I started. I've now gotten past the thumb increases and putting those stitches on a holder. I have about 25 rounds of the hand, plus 15ish rounds of ribbing, plus the thumb, and I'll be finished. It's not terrible, actually. I'm hoping to have them finished by Thursday but that means a concentrated effort to work on them, which I think I can handle. Maybe. We'll see. 

I even pulled out the Linen Stitch Scarf this week. I didn't work a lot on it but I did work on it. I might even finish it before the end of the century. I know a lot of knitters complain about linen stitch, mostly that it just takes so long to do. Honestly, I find it meditative. As long as I don't screw up which row I'm on, it's fine. And I have screwed up which row I'm on and I just tink it back and it's fine. 

So, that's all very exciting. Or not. However you want to look at it.




OMFGLSGWTFBBQ Lists


Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)



Children's Items:
1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018) - I may change this to a different sweater using the same yarn
2. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
3. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
4. I Love Stockinette Baby Bibs (worsted - cotton, acrylic, something)


Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1. Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
2. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
3. Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
4. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - Fresh From the Cauldron Schoodic Sock in Sookie)
5. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Socks (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
8. Washcloths/chewcloths (worsted weight - cotton)
9. Sockhead (fingering - I have tons...pick something!)


Designs:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband
2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man
3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon
4. Baby Blanket


Spinning:
4. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
2. Skeins of sock yarn
3. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Stitch markers
5. Destash as necessary
 
 
We have finally had the weather shift here, which means it's actually fall. We've even had some rain. Supposedly we were supposed to get hit with a nasty storm on Friday but that didn't exactly materialize. I mean, we had some rain and we had some wind but nothing like what had been predicted. Oh well. We turned on the fireplace, our roommate made delicious food, and that was that. 
 
Other than that, not much has been happening. The boys still have school, though they have "half days" this week because of conferences. Really, though, they're both on their normal schedules. I have Little Man's conference (4th grade) on Wednesday, and Stormageddon's conference (kindergarten) on Friday. In addition to this, both boys are going through testing because they both have IEPs. If you're not a USian, an Individualized Education Plan are for kids with disabilities. Now, to look at the boys, you wouldn't think they have anything wrong with them. And, honestly, they don't. They are who they are. Buuuuut, there are some things they need extra help with. Little Man has ADHD and is very much my child so his IEP is to keep an eye on his behavior as well as working on things like executive functioning. In addition to that, he also sees the occupational therapist, who is working with him on proper handwriting, and visual space. Stormageddon, on the other hand, has not been diagnosed with ADHD (he will be eventually when we're out of lockdown and back in school full time, as the teacher evaluations are part of the diagnosing process). He has his IEP for speech therapy and occupational therapy. He has a speech delay (and is quickly catching up) and his speech therapist a couple years ago suggested we have him evaluated specifically for OT because he was kind of all over the place. So he started receiving OT services last year. But, as we have review meetings coming up in a few weeks, there is some testing involved, particularly for Stormageddon. He met for a couple extra sessions last week with the speech therapist and he's having an extra session or two this week with the occupational therapist. So, it's a normal but not normal week around here. 
 
When Little Man isn't doing school stuff, he's been playing with Legos or drawing. This was one of his creations last week. He had me take a photo in case Stormageddon broke it (again).....and then he pulled it apart himself. I don't even know anymore. 
 
 
 
 
Little Man has gotten to the "awe, mom, don't take my picture" stage so I had to sneak this one this morning. He's getting so tall. I can just barely rest my head on top of his. Also, remember when I said his feet were as big as mine? Yeah. Not anymore. My plan to make the Minecraft socks to fit both of us are fading quickly. ::sigh::
 

 
 
Stormageddon spent some time working in Little Man's room because he has a desk (well, a table). We needed it for some OT work last week. He needed to be able to have his butt on a chair and his feet on some sort of support (a stool, in this case). Usually he's on the couch with me, coloring on a side table or borrowing a surface like Little Man's lapdesk or a book. It works but it could be better. 

 
 
 
I feel like the next few weeks are going to be rough. With the pandemic, there's been a huge spike in cases across the country. The biggest problem with Covid19 is that it was turned into a political issue instead of a health crisis so you have people that think it's a hoax, nothing worse than the flu, or are being willfully ignorant about what they need to do in order to protect all of us. 
 
I saw a post on Facebook from Amanda Palmer yesterday and I have to say, I was so very jealous. She's been quarantined in New Zealand since the pandemic hit and now with all the travel restrictions, she can't really leave. She did a small concert/gathering/patreon yesterday. Her & Neil Gaiman's 5 year old son was holding a 5 month old, no masks anywhere in sight, no social distancing.....but it's because they're in New Zealand where they nipped the outbreak quickly. 
 
But because idiots turned it into a political issue, we're stuck here with likely new restrictions coming. 
 
Aside from the pandemic, next Thursday is Thanksgiving, followed by "Black Friday," which is an excuse for people to do shitty things in the name of commerce. Then it's December, then Christmas, and we're practically into 2021, not that much is going to change. 
 
 
Okay, that's enough out of me. I'm rambling and if I keep going, I'm going to get grumpy about the state of things and I have enough of that otherwise. ::sigh::
 
I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend!

 

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there. I can't even image managing 2 young children during Covid. You are doing fantastic!! Can relate to ADHD. My older son has that. We resisted medication until his 4th grade teacher said she thought he could really benefit from it. It is not a miracle drug but did help. I so remember the problems with writing!!! Math not an issue but trying to get thoughts from his head to his hand was agonizing. Ended up getting a summer tutor to help catch up. We were lucky that some teachers were willing to let him do some oral answering since writing was so difficult.

    Best wishes for a lovely week. I know I'm already working on a Zoom Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have every right to be grumpy. I am in Canada but following US news of course. Our numbers are up and climbing - I wonder when the world will ever get back to normal. Thank God for my knitting/crocheting/spinning. My husband doesn't really have a hobby except for the internet and he is going a wee bit stir crazy. Take care of yourself and your lovely family. I always enjoy seeing your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes as you coordinate 2 boys through online schooling. Completely understand the issues of an ADHD son. Also did OT to try to help what's in the brain get out the hand. Writing was a nightmare. On the other hand, STEM careers are the future. :) Hang in there. It does work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at those legs! I can't believe it. It feels so weird when the rain hits here this month. It feels like forever since we've had wet weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have seen on our UK news some interviews pre-election with non-mask wearing Trump supporters. I totally understand your frustrations and hope the support for your boys works well and helps.

    ReplyDelete