Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Monday, November 30, 2020

Year NINE: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Feeling a bit lazy after Thanksgiving (Update #48)

Hola! Happy Monday! I'm feeling a bit lazy after Thanksgiving and a few things happened that caused my delay (which I'll get to). 


For now, let's get moving!


FOs (Finished Objects)

1. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018; finished 29 January 2020
2. Tiny Turtle: started 7 November 2019; finished 30 January 2020
3. Mirkwood: started 9 February 2020; finished 17 February 2020
4. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018; frogged 9 April 2020
5. Sockhead: started 8 January 2020; finished 25 May 2020
6. Baby Yoda: started 14 March 2020; finished 13 June 2020
7. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018; finished 18 June 2020
8. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): started 16 January 2019; finished 30 June 2020
9. Oread Hat (test knit): started 2 July 2020; finished 11 July 2020
10. Prototype Something Something Raindrops: started 11 April 2019; finished 18 July 2020
11. Rose City Rollers: started 18 June 2020; finished 4 August 2020
12. Prototype Something Something (worsted): started 5 September 2020; finished 6 September 2020
13.
Prototype Something Something cowl: started 11 September 2020; finished 17 October 2020
14.
Basic Fingerless Mitts: started 6 September 2020; finished 19 November 2020

So, while I didn't finish anything new, I did snag a photo of the finished fingerless mitts! It's not the best photo but it's difficult to take photos of your own hands and even more difficult to entrust your children to do so. 



 


WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year if needed):

1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
10. Greenwood Fiberworks Dark BFL (Viktor): started 28 June 2020
11. Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
12. Minecraft Socks: started 12 August 2020
13. Come Sail Away: started 17 October 2020

I didn't do a ton of knitting over break, which isn't to say that I didn't do any...but I didn't knit nearly as much as I had hoped. I worked a bit here and there on the Linen Stitch Scarf. One of these days I might actually photograph it! 

I also worked on the granny squares. I finished up another square and started a new one. I have two balls of the yarn left, which should be roughly 14 squares. I have no idea how many I've done at this point. When I ripped my yarn closet apart and everything was put into space saver bags, I put all the squares into one of the bags and I didn't count them. No clue how many there are. Oops. I'll have to dig it out soon and make a count.

I also worked on my Vanilla Socks for a few rounds. I forgot that I needed to stop and count my rows so I might be a bit further along than I intended to be, which isn't much of an issue as I almost always have leftover yarn. 

The thing I made the most progress on was the Come Sail Away blanket. I'm doing it as written so it will have three rows of three boats each and I've finished up the second row of boats. I've also connected my third ball of yarn. I should be perfectly fine but I don't think I'll have enough to make a fourth row, which is also okay. We'll see how things progress. 

 


OMFGLSGWTFBBQ Lists


Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)



Children's Items:
1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018) - I may change this to a different sweater using the same yarn
2. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
3. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
4. I Love Stockinette Baby Bibs (worsted - cotton, acrylic, something)


Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1. Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
2. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
3. Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
4. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - Fresh From the Cauldron Schoodic Sock in Sookie)
5. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Socks (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
8. Washcloths/chewcloths (worsted weight - cotton)
9. Sockhead (fingering - I have tons...pick something!)


Designs:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband
2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man
3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon
4. Baby Blanket


Spinning:
4. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
2. Skeins of sock yarn
3. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Stitch markers
5. Destash as necessary
 
 
So, onto the past week! In the US, this past week was Thanksgiving. It's always on a Thursday, specifically the 4th Thursday of November, which was this past week. The boys had off from school all week, which meant they were staying up late (like 10pm) and getting up a bit later than usual (8am or thereabout). They spent their days watching movies with me, playing outside with the dog, and playing video games. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity came out so they've been playing a lot of that. Little Man has also been playing Animal Crossing. I spent time watching movies with the boys, cleaning, knitting, and planning. 
 
Our roommate helped make Thanksgiving food (he did all the potatoes, we did the turkey & brussels sprouts, we bought the croissants and pie from Costco). He also helped make some of the post-Thanksgiving leftovers more palatable...like turkey pot pie. It's so nice having a professional chef in the house sometimes. 

Friday is our usual "put up the decorations" day and we did so. Our outdoor decorations (all 8 inflatables, plus candy cane lights, plus regular lights) were put up in the morning after I mowed the lawn, followed by the tree. The boys decorated most of it themselves. Husband and I took care of the breakable ones and did some rearranging as our tree is about 8' tall and Little Man maybe can reach almost 6' (if he stands on his tiptoes). After that, we lazed about, doing a whole lot of nothing. 

And then the excitement started. Husband decided to go outside and finish putting up the lights on the apricot tree. Okay fine....except it was dark and there's not good lighting over there. He tripped over a decorative rock (lava rock that's the size of a Little Tikes car).....I didn't even know what he was doing and all of a sudden, I hear him screaming outside. So I run out there (barefoot) and he's on the ground screaming, holding the side of his head. I run inside to get my phone (for light) and yell for Little Man to get our roommate. I get outside and he's got blood all over his head and he's just screaming in pain. I meet the roommate at our door because I wasn't sure I could get him up but he got up himself and walked to the house, blood everywhere, running down his leg and from the side of his head. It wasn't a pretty sight. 

I helped clean up his ear, which is where all the head blood was coming from (though I couldn't tell if there was another gash on his head or not - there wasn't but I didn't know that), then I cleaned up and bandaged his leg (badly - we didn't have a lot to work with in terms of big bandaids or gauze). After that, I took him to the emergency room because I knew he needed stitches, at minimum. Because of Covid restrictions, I couldn't stay there so I came home to the boys. He had a CT s can of his head, neck, and back, then they gave him pain medication, then they stitched his ear and cleaned up his leg. I picked him up around midnight (I brought him in around 7:30pm), then we got some more food (because of course he was hungry), and I think I went to bed around 2:45am. It was a very long and exciting day. 

Saturday was spent trying to take care of him, doing our regular cleaning, and trying not to fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Full disclosure, we both fell asleep early and the boys were playing video games. 

Yesterday, I felt like I had a million things to do and I got some of it finished....I think. It was just a long day and there were too many things to do and time just slipped away from me. 

So, here I am, on Monday, with my late post. Again. ::sigh:: At least I have a couple of photos...
 
Husband and Stormageddon spent some time together while he played video games and Stormageddon drank some milk. This was before Friday's events. 
 

 
 
Little Man spent some time drawing during break. This turned out to be Paper Mario, which he cut out. I think he has plans for it but I know nothing of them.
 
 
 
 
Stormageddon and I took a selfie yesterday. It's been awhile since we've done that. He was glad to do it. He loves taking selfies. 
 


I hope you had a lovely week and, if you're a USian, a good Thanksgiving, and a lovely weekend. Maybe I'll be on time next week......or not. Whatever.

6 comments:

  1. Nice Dr. Who tee! Happy that the husband's injury wasn't as bad as it could have been. Way to finish up those cute mitts! I'm going to whip up a pair for one of my kids' teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, what an exciting weekend!! Turkey pot pie sounds fantastic. I think I'm going to have to make that with some of our leftovers. I love pot pies!! Your mitts are very beautiful. Absolutely love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW what an exciting weekend!! Glad hubby will be ok. Your mitts are so cute. They will be so fun to wear. Turkey pot pie sounds so yummy. I'm going to have to do that with some of our leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your Thanksgiving weekend was a lot more exciting than mine was LOL. I am glad your hubby is on the mend. That is really scary! I looked at the Come Sail Away baby blanket. It is adorable! Are you doing it in blue also? How nice to have a chef in the house this time of year. Hopefully, this week will be a bit calmer for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness - I am glad your hubby is ok, but it must have been so scary. I wish you a calm next week. You all deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a really hectic weekend. I'm glad your husband will be ok. The mitts look great!

    ReplyDelete